How do your ears fare as a metal musician/ fan?

• Thread starter JazzandMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
The first proper gig I went to I didn't wear hearing protection. Was up the front the whole night. Had loud ringing ears for about 4 days and a background buzz for about 4 more days after that.

Now, I always wear at least those $2 plugs. Wore them when I saw Periphery/Tesseract last year and I heard everything fine and I was able to get to sleep that night without hearing noises in my head :lol: Same story when I saw Meshuggah, stood right at the front, right in front of the PA and I was fine.

Moral of the story: something's better than nothing!

Also, get a sound meter app and see how loud your car stereo/speakers/headphones get. It'll be a rough estimate of how loud and for how long you can listen to it without getting damage.

Noise Exposure Limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I never wear earplugs to metal shows and I've been to over 50 in small venues. My hearing is good, but my left ear is not as good as my right.

I think you might find that if you went to an Audiologist, when they tested your hearing it won't be in as good condition as you think.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Wear earplugs. If you don't you're a fucking retard. I didn't for 10 years. I was a fucking retard (who didn't have the internets to find out advice from).

The most annoying thing about my tinnitus is that each ear whistles at a different frequency. And it's never silent. And I can't hear peripheral conversations.

I can see a very grumpy old age coming up!

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
That's probably true, but I hear well enough I don't think it's a big deal. :ugh:

You think you hear well because it's gradual... Like the analogy of if you drop a frog in boiling water it will jump out, but if you put it in the water THEN boil it, it won't realise.

BillNephew

Reaction score
One show at the Machine Shop was enough to make me start wearing earplugs. My ears were ringing like a bell for 3 days straight. I normally just use roll-up foam earplugs because I can get them from my parents for free who work in GM plants. So the Hearos HiFi are actually a good investment? Yay or Nay?

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
One show at the Machine Shop was enough to make me start wearing earplugs. My ears were ringing like a bell for 3 days straight. I normally just use roll-up foam earplugs because I can get them from my parents for free who work in GM plants. So the Hearos HiFi are actually a good investment? Yay or Nay?

Yay.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
You think you hear well because it's gradual... Like the analogy of if you drop a frog in boiling water it will jump out, but if you put it in the water THEN boil it, it won't realise.

Quoted for truth. Didn't notice it until 1st rehearsal with last band was physically painful. I'd been regularly (multiple times a week) clubbing & gigging for 10+ years without ear protection. Big "oh fuck" moment, that was, and for the last several years have been more careful but the damage was already done.

Deception

deceived
Reaction score
Does anyone here who has tinnitus still go to metal gigs (with earplugs of course)?

I've had tinnitus for 4 months now, and there are a couple of unmissable gigs coming up in my area; having trouble deciding whether to go. I'd be standing as far back as possible and wearing earplugs, but I really don't want my tinnitus / hearing to get any worse.

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score

There is no comparison between proper musicians earplugs and the foam ones.

The foam just mutes and furry's everything up. The Hearo's attenuate the frequencies that are icepicking your eardrum, while leaving everything else relatively clear.

Evil Weasel

Reaction score
I use the alpine music safe pro earplugs. They come with 3 different attachments which alter the levels of attenuation and are the most comfortable I have tried. Come with a handy case too for attaching to a set of keys and as long as you clean them they last for years. Means they are with you no matter where you go. Since having them found them great for nightclubs and other places with loud music as well as gigs. Proper lifesaver at gigs though if you want to be near the front! Alpine MusicSafe Pro Earplugs | Sensorcom

Rustee

†The Skyrim Bard†
Reaction score
I've had tinnitus all my life which kind of sucks. I think I'm getting treatment for it soon though.

FarBeyondMetal

Reaction score
For my first few shows, never work protection = ringing ears. Then I grew the fuck up fast and starting wearing them. My hearing is fine and I can actually enjoy the show without wondering if I am damaging my hearing

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
dude i work with explosives and my hearing sucks........wear ear plugs! And not those soft BS ear plugs, buy some 10 dollar surefire jobbers with extra plungers in them!

AlexEdwards

Reaction score
Get yourself a pair of hearos and be done with it. Take care of your ears, you'll thank yourself in the long run

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I never wear earplugs. I've tried all kinds, but I can't bond with 'em. At shows, I try to find a sweet spot in the room where I get the best sound without having my head in a speaker. My last hearing test was about 4 years ago and the results were shockingly good. 16 years (at the time) of rehearsing at least twice a week in bands with drummers and 4x12s and all that and no significant damage. Add to that about 4-500 live shows I've attended and 200+ shows I've played... I'm probably really lucky. There are far more "I went to one show and my ear never stopped ringing" stories than there are stories similar to mine. Now that I'm approaching 40, I'm gonna take another look into getting some nice, neutral plugs.

Here's a funny observation though: I've noticed that most of the time when I see bands whose guitarists wear earplugs on stage, their stage volume is far too loud and their treble is cranked. Make sure your levels are set to a nice sound prior to snuffing everything out with the plugs.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I bet you at least 75% of them set their tone with their earplugs in. It's always in your best interest to set your stage volume according to what the soundguy says, and set tone without plugs in, and then put them in before your set.

BillNephew

Reaction score
I bought the hearos hi-fi plugs and I have to say that they're the best $15 I've ever spent. I used to use nothing but the foam ones before I switched over, and the difference is like night and day how clear everything now is.

Latest posts

')