How fast do you go through string sets?

• Thread starter Alice AKW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
This is something that I've noticed varies with a lot of people. I've had sets of varying brands last me for sometimes months. (I play strings until they die, because a lot of the time I can't just go out and buy them) To the other end of the spectrum, I put a new set of D'addario Prosteels 10-52's on my Explorer copy and completely murdered the high E just about half an hour ago.

So my question is, what's the longest and or shortest your strings have ever lasted you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MJS

Reaction score
I got in the habit of washing my hands right before playing and wiping the strings down right after I stop, which makes them last much longer.

Well, for me at least. Some people seem to sweat pure acid and go through them quickly, no matter what they do.

snowblind56

Reaction score
I had a friend who would sometimes blow a string 15 seconds into his first song at a gig, although his picking action was like a buzz saw.

Personally, I don't gig, have too many guitars, and a light picking stroke, so strings last a long time for me.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Very slowly. I use(d) Dean Markley Regulars for years and am only now really experimenting with other varieties. Initially I disliked D'Addario because of the their initial super brightness but I'm started to get into them now.

I have very low acidity and I don't really sweat so my strings last as long as I need them to, barring the very infrequent string breaking. I usually change them when I got to change a pickup, if I'm just changing them, then I try to change at least once every 6 months.

Goatfork

Reaction score
I wash my hands before I play heavily, and I wipe the strings down afterwards. I probably change my strings ever 1 to 2 months, and I use d'Addario.

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
Since I've started playing at church I can't keep a set of strings for more than two months. Though I sweat a bit more than others. D'Addario's seem to last longer for me than other brands.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I use EB coated, with 2 guitars going, I go through strings for 1 guitar in about 3 weeks of use (so about 30-40 hours on them) before they are 'dead'. I use things like fast fret to keep them a little cleaner and such. Even then I am probably pickier than some about it, other times I just don't care. I have used a set for as long as 2 months and they were still kicking strong, never broken one.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
I too wash my hands before playing and wipe the strings down before and after playing with Fast Fret. I make it a point to change strings every month, but they last me (without sounding dull) for about 1 1/2 months.

EOT

I pull over 500 lbs.
Reaction score
I rarely change strings. They seem to last a long time for me.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
On my acoustic, my elixers wear out fast. but on my electrics i rarely need replacing my daddarios. Maybe cause i play acoustic more.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I use the prosteels from dimarzio, I don't play that often, and I have 3 guitars. I don't go through them very often. In fact, I will probably just change the un-wound strings when I do change them. The wound strings seem to be holding up quite nicely. That and well, prosteels are BRIGHT, so a little "dead string" isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
Going on 3 months on my 7, no corrosion, no noticable drop in tone either. I religiously wipe my strings down every time I'm done playing.

Horizongeetar93

the sparkle guy
Reaction score
Well for me I just went through a testing period for my guitar....maybe about 15 sets in a month? But strings usually last me about 4 months before my OCD kicks in to change them. You do want to change them once they get about that old or else the tone quality will be reduced, as in my experiences. I use D'addario Light Top/Heavy Bottom which are 10-52. They seem to work for me in my drop tunings. Also, this set seems to last me over the 4 month period without breaking. Give them a try or something close to it.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
elixir strings... my main guitar ~6 months to one set. other guitars 8 months plus, over a year on some. sound like they are brand new.

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
I wash my hands before I play heavily, and I wipe the strings down afterwards. I probably change my strings ever 1 to 2 months, and I use d'Addario.
:agreed: Exactly the same here. It also helps that I don't sweat easily, and my sweat isn't that corrosive shit that seems to ruin strings in an hour.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Like molasses. I sweat a fair amount but I always wipe my guits down after playing them and I'm too cheap to constantly buy strings. :lol: They never get straight up SKANKY so I never really see a need. Never seem to break any either... two strings in my life and one was on a bass haha.

')