How fast do you go through string sets?

• Thread starter Alice AKW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fraz

Reaction score
Normally a month or just over for me unless i am changing tunings. I don't gig but i can't sit still without picking up a guitar :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewK

Reaction score
I use Elixirs and in most cases I get rid of the guitar before it's ready for a new set of strings. I've had the same set on my Les Paul for seven months and I don't see any reason to change them. They're not gross and they still sound good to me. I imagine they'll last a year or more. I don't gig or anything, but I do play it pretty much every day.

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score
Elixirs are what I use, and they're great. They last me at least 5 months and the tone is fantastic throughout all that time.

Koop

Reaction score
When I used D'addario's, about 1-2 months. Same thing with Ernie Balls.

I just switched to Elixir's, and the set I have is around 3 months old. They feel like week old D'addario's :yesway:

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
I probably do about 6 months with elixirs. I only change them when they start to get indentations from fretting. It also means I can give my frets a polish and clean/oil the fret board.

ProgCorey

Reaction score
Depends how much money I have :p
At the moment I've got 17 sets of D'addario strings in my room, so I'm pretty casual about changing my strings. If it's just a regular practise with a gig everynow and then, usually once every few months. If it's during recordings, maybe once every couple of weeks haha.

Osiris

Reaction score
Like once or twice a year on my most played guitar. Partially because almost every time I've changed strings on a guitar, I could never get the action to be as good as it was before.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Like once or twice a year on my most played guitar. Partially because almost every time I've changed strings on a guitar, I could never get the action to be as good as it was before.

Probably going a bit off topic but I could easily see that being an issue especially where you live. I live someplace where the humidity is very low most of the year and I still have to make quite a few adjustments quite regularly. I think many would agree it's a battle.

jazz_munkyy

Reaction score
ernie ball! before i discovered them, i went through strings like no tomorrow
now they last for like a month or two depending on my mood

Throat Hole

Reaction score
depends on the guitar really if its a guitar i dont play out strings last me between a 4 to 6 weeks before they start sounding dead

if its one of the guitars i regularly play live or at band practice the strings last 1-2 weeks before i change em just to be on the safe side i dont like snapping strings during a show :lol:

youshy

Curly-man
Reaction score
I use D'addario and, huh, change them every three weeks, always.

raybeast

Reaction score
Holy shit Corey finally surfaced on this forum! :hbang:

On topic, I change strings once a month, and that's with wiping them down each session. Longer than that and they're awful. I'm using D'Addario 9s, 9-52s and 10s on my respective electrics

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
On guitars that I gig, I'll change every 6 months, or whenever they start to sound dead, or whenever I break a string. At home, I've probably had the same set on my Eclipse for 2-3 years, and it still sounds...well...listenable.

I play by my own rules. :shred:

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I usually swap strings on my main guitar once a week to two weeks. They just start to sound dull and I cant stand that shit.

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
On guitars that I gig, I'll change every 6 months, or whenever they start to sound dead, or whenever I break a string. At home, I've probably had the same set on my Eclipse for 2-3 years, and it still sounds...well...listenable.

I play by my own rules. :shred:
How have your strings not decayed and fallen off by now?! :eek:

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
How have your strings not decayed and fallen off by now?! :eek:

I honestly don't know. It's a set of Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (11-48) and the wound strings aren't rusted or corroded or anything. The plain strings are kind of black, though. :D

')