How good do you think this Carvin will turn out(specs included)

xxreaperxx

Reaction score
I'm ordering a Carvin DC800 soon, and I was curious what you guys thought of the specs.

So here they are:

Maple Neck/Koa Body
Bookmatched 4A Quilted Maple Top
Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
Teal Quilt
Blackburst Edges
Deep Triple Step Stain/Color Process
Black Sides w/ Black Burst Back
5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Koa Stripes
Tung Oil Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood)
Ebony Fingerboard
20in Fretboard Radius
Black Hardware

Do you guys' think this is a good combo for body wood/neck wood/fretboard wood?

I really love tight sounding, low strings. I like mids, but not way too scooped, and not way to rounded. Pretty much 4 on a scale of 1-10.

I really love the Animals as leaders sound, but Im experimenting to find my own.

SO yeah, what you guys think!?!

(Possibly will go to all passives and put a Ludgeren M8/BareKnuckle Coldsweat in the neck)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
if you put a quilt top on a koa body I will hunt you down and eat your face.

That said, should be a cool guitar.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I'd say no because of the black burst. IMO quilt and koa look amazing together. You have a great looking front and an amazing back.

The reason I don't like the black burst is because it tends to darken the whole guitar. There was a thread where it totally changed the color of the instrument from a ruby to a tigers eye. This darkening effect diminishes how awesome the koa is.

xxreaperxx

Reaction score
I'd say no because of the black burst. IMO quilt and koa look amazing together. You have a great looking front and an amazing back.

The reason I don't like the black burst is because it tends to darken the whole guitar. There was a thread where it totally changed the color of the instrument from a ruby to a tigers eye. This darkening effect diminishes how awesome the koa is.
I was hoping the color would turn out like this:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...lated-carvin-dc800-no-teal-quilt-you-56k.html

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
i ordered that guitar for that member here and i (he) requested that the blackburst to be light. they typically go heavier on their blackburst and i also sent sample pics of the type of quilt and have the back/sides natural is an option 50

I just ordered a DC800 as well, and I also had the option 50 of a clear back finish. You need to do this if you are going to pay for the Koa body, at least in my opinion you don't want to cover up such a beautiful wood (especially when you have to pay that much for it). The contrast of the quilted maple teal top, and natural Koa back would look great:bowdown:

Atomshipped

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't spend the money on Koa and then cover it in teal and a black burst.

Cremated

Reaction score
I'd go all natural. Or opt 50 for a natural back. I hate blackburst on cool (as in blues and greens) colors. Reds and oranges with a thin blackburst is cool though.

xxreaperxx

Reaction score
i ordered that guitar for that member here and i (he) requested that the blackburst to be light. they typically go heavier on their blackburst and i also sent sample pics of the type of quilt and have the back/sides natural is an option 50

Wow really? Thats cool. Was there an additional fee for that? How do you order that? Do you call it in after ordering, or before?

frogunrua

Lord of the Afros
Reaction score
I ordered a sunset burst and asked for a natural back and they said after 10 min being on hold it wasn't possible... So now I'm like "da fuck".

Last edited:

potatohead

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't spend the money on Koa and then cover it in teal and a black burst.

My sentiments exactly. Save the money and go with ash or maple body. You can still get the striped neck if you want.

You can get the clear back, but it voids the return policy and will probably cost you 100 bones or so.

Exit Existence

Reaction score
Thrasher, they didnt charge extra for the thin blackburst request correct? Its not considered an op 50 and voids the guarantee? It would be silly if they charged extra for that.

Thin blackburst is a must with carvin imo, like others have said they tend to BLAST it. I love blackburst on thethe top but i hate especially how it looks on the back and neck if its done too thick.

Im probably going to do dc700 teal quilt thin blackburst, body binding, birdseye neck and normal painted gloss bac neck. Or ge the entire guitar satin and loose the blackburst.
I keep changing my mind every month though haha

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
Thrasher, they didnt charge extra for the thin blackburst request correct? Its not considered an op 50 and voids the guarantee? It would be silly if they charged extra for that.

i dont think its considered option 50 but it was lumped in with the option 50 request so thats my basis but i think if you just order standard and ask for thin burst, you are good

frogunrua

Lord of the Afros
Reaction score
How much does it cost to change your order halfway through? I'm almost ok with the burst on the back since its only about 4 weeks from being finished lol.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
How much does it cost to change your order halfway through? I'm almost ok with the burst on the back since its only about 4 weeks from being finished lol.

dont know and dont know that they would let you depending on where it is in the process