How good is an Evertune actually?

• Thread starter Narzog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Narzog

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been doign a lot of research and keep ending up here so decided to make an account and ask haha.

I've been heavily researching tuning stability. I've found a few things, but some contradictory info.

-Evertune is best for tuning stability
-floyd's also have amazing tuning stability
-I've seen some people claim their fixed bridge is just as good as floyd if set up well. I've also seen people say they have to tune between every take when recording.

So what is it? If I could actually just get my guitar set up well and it actually holds tuning perfectly for months at a time, is there any point in an evertune? Also theres multi scales and headless guitars which cant get evertunes. But I've seen people say their strandberg holds tuning for months.

I'm currently not a great player. But I'm trying to get good and my goal is to record. My brother told me he loves his evertune because he doesnt have to re tune each take. But I feel like my guitar isn't that bad, it feels in tune for an entire session. But if its technically a hair off as I play, an evertune would be worth it and raise the chance of my recordings being good.

Edit: Note, I'm aware I don't NEED a new guitar and that my play is most important. I just want more because they are sick haha. So If I'm going to get something I'm trying to see what will help me the most with my goals. Evertunes limit my options so figuring out if I want an evertune or not heavily effects what I'd be looking at and pricing.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wish I could weigh in on Evertune but I have no experience with them.

As far as recording, I wouldn't worry about being 100% on the nuts in tune all the time. If something sounds off when you record because of the tuning, re-tune and try it again.

If you haven't done any recording, I'd try to get into it however you can to determine if your guitar is good enough for what you want right now. You might find it works great for what you want to do. (what kind of guitar are you using now btw?)

If it's a struggle to keep it in tune, I'd start with having a tech look at the nut. It may need a little work or possibly getting a new nut, which wouldn't be that expensive or invasive.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll also add that my hardtail guitars can get out of tune easier if I'm really bending the shit out of notes. That said, my floating trem/double locking guitars hold their tune but are not perfect. I still check tuning between takes.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
So what is it? If I could actually just get my guitar set up well and it actually holds tuning perfectly for months at a time, is there any point in an evertune?

I'm currently not a great player. But I'm trying to get good and my goal is to record. My brother told me he loves his evertune because he doesnt have to re tune each take.

My opinion and nothing more below

"So what is it?" - personal preference and bias.
"If... is there any point in an evertune?" - no point if you're happy with the performance of what you have.

"My goal is to record" - go try recording some takes with what you have before you blow money on something you don't fundamentally need to chase a dragon which can't be caught in the end.

"My brother told me...." - glad he has something he likes. they're cool systems, but not the pinnacle of luthier and design achievement.

In summary - I own guitars with all the popular bridge styles. They all have their place. I do find my evertune guitars to have a "feel" that I like the least which is hard to explain because it's just a feel thing.

Tuning during recording does take time between takes, but it's just part of the workflow.

I don't think you *need* an ET bridge, but if you *want* one, get one.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Hey all. I've been doign a lot of research and keep ending up here so decided to make an account and ask haha.

I've been heavily researching tuning stability. I've found a few things, but some contradictory info.

-Evertune is best for tuning stability
-floyd's also have amazing tuning stability
-I've seen some people claim their fixed bridge is just as good as floyd if set up well. I've also seen people say they have to tune between every take when recording.

So what is it? If I could actually just get my guitar set up well and it actually holds tuning perfectly for months at a time, is there any point in an evertune? Also theres multi scales and headless guitars which cant get evertunes. But I've seen people say their strandberg holds tuning for months.

I'm currently not a great player. But I'm trying to get good and my goal is to record. My brother told me he loves his evertune because he doesnt have to re tune each take. But I feel like my guitar isn't that bad, it feels in tune for an entire session. But if its technically a hair off as I play, an evertune would be worth it and raise the chance of my recordings being good.

Edit: Note, I'm aware I don't NEED a new guitar and that my play is most important. I just want more because they are sick haha. So If I'm going to get something I'm trying to see what will help me the most with my goals. Evertunes limit my options so figuring out if I want an evertune or not heavily effects what I'd be looking at and pricing.
My two cents?

Just get a decent guitar (it doesn't need to be a used Prestige🙂), get it well set up and focus on you making that guitar sound good through your playing.

If you're just starting out, everything else is a distraction.

Focus on your craft. Wax on, wax off.

sleewell

Reaction score
it sucks ass

i got a guitar with one didnt play it for a while and then when i picked it back up one of the saddles was no longer functioning properly. not even sure how that happens but i took it into a tech and they said the same thing.

if you get a decent guitar and learn how to set them up its 100% irrelevant. messing around trying to figure out what zone you are in takes more time than tuning a normal guitar.

Narzog

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
(what kind of guitar are you using now btw?)
Currently have a Ibanez S521 with Nazgul Sentient pickup set and locking tuners, into Ignite Emissary virtual amp in Studio one. I got to start out strong with a fairly good setup lol. Was my brothers guitar he replaced with his Evertune one so he didn't need it anymore. I've tried a few diff string sets and tunings but I think the intonation is still good.
I'll also add that my hardtail guitars can get out of tune easier if I'm really bending the shit out of notes. That said, my floating trem/double locking guitars hold their tune but are not perfect. I still check tuning between takes.
So even with floating trem and double locking you still end up having to fine tune tuning between takes?
My two cents?

Just get a decent guitar (it doesn't need to be a used Prestige🙂), get it well set up and focus on you making that guitar sound good through your playing.

If you're just starting out, everything else is a distraction.

Focus on your craft. Wax on, wax off.
Haha this gets me down the other rabbits hole of guitar prices. Just last night I saw a 2SICH video and I realized she was playing an Ibanez Gio. Thing sounded great lol. I agree I do need to focus on getting good and not the guitars. But I still have room to get guitars that do a different thing. Like longer scale tuned lower. but ya replacing my 25.5 scale with a new 25.5 scale 'but evertune' wouldn't do as much.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
A well built guitar is going to be stable enough.

Floating bridges are not more stable than fixed, locking nuts are more stable than open nuts.

I can beat the devil out of all my 1k$ price point guitars and they stay rock solid. I can spend the whole day moving them on and off hangers and they stay rock solid. I can lay them on my couch for hours and they stay rock solid. I use nut sauce and keep a well controlled environment. Because of this I frequently forget why Evertunes even exist.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Currently have a Ibanez S521 with Nazgul Sentient pickup set and locking tuners, into Ignite Emissary virtual amp in Studio one. I got to start out strong with a fairly good setup lol. Was my brothers guitar he replaced with his Evertune one so he didn't need it anymore. I've tried a few diff string sets and tunings but I think the intonation is still good.

So even with floating trem and double locking you still end up having to fine tune tuning between takes?

Haha this gets me down the other rabbits hole of guitar prices. Just last night I saw a 2SICH video and I realized she was playing an Ibanez Gio. Thing sounded great lol. I agree I do need to focus on getting good and not the guitars. But I still have room to get guitars that do a different thing. Like longer scale tuned lower. but ya replacing my 25.5 scale with a new 25.5 scale 'but evertune' wouldn't do as much.
Glad you took it the way it is meant. 🙂

And it's not a matter of money, but one of your focus. Your focus is precious, spend it on what you want most.

Understanding a piece of trendy hardware?

Or

Understanding how to use a tritone substitution in improvisation?

Your choice. Where your focus goes, your energy flows (cue clips from "Happy Gilmore"...)

')