How good is an Evertune actually?

• Thread starter Narzog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Narzog

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just want to clarify for not spreading false information. The manual gives three different versions of setups for bending. Fast bends which yes feels like a normal guitar, but if you’re down tuning or playing hard you will lose the intonation and tuning stability in this mode.

To counter that they suggest their fast bend with maximum intonation which doesn’t bend as fast. I should explain this is where I keep my 8 string at because of being in drop e makes the low string have very low tension and would be an issue in the first setting
Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking the easy bend setting would counter one of the uses I'd want the evertune for. Tuning never going off for recording is nice. But being able to play hard on the thing in low tuning and not going sharp is my favorite part.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score
I'm also in the camp of "its fixing a problem that's not really a problem". If you can actually setup a guitar properly, theres no major advantage that the evertune has, especially against a floyd.

Personally, I don't like how evertunes feel, or sound.

Ultimately it's all personal preference, but I'd argue that no one "needs" an evertune. If anything, most people would benefit substantially more from learning how to properly setup a guitar.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Not to mention they're ugly as af and you basically rout out the center of your guitar body. Your neck through becomes a set neck if you have a figured top.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
I love it.

Seeing a lot of the dismissal posts makes it evident that people either had one and never learned how to set it up properly (even if they think they did) or they didn’t use it in a setting where it shows it’s worth.

You can set an Evertune up to still bend and respond like a regular guitar. If someone says “bending feels weird”, it’s because they were between zones.

It IS possible to string it, tune it up, put it in the correct zone and then have it slip between zones, which is what I’m assuming is happening with a lot of people. The strings still stretch, you just won’t hear them go out of tune as it happens because the Evertune is Evertuning, so it just slips between zones. Usually a half turn of the tuning machine puts it back.

The Evertune comes with it’s own variety of “Strat trems don’t stay in tune”, “Floyds are a nightmare to setup”, “G-string on a Les Paul always goes out of tune” quips, all can be true if you don’t put the time into learning what you’re working with.

I’ll certainly have more guitars equipped with them.
My takeaway here is that the EverTune is very beneficial for solving these issues, but it's definitely designed for professionals. If people here find it too intuitive to use, then they should stick with a regular fixed bridge instead and that's fine, but that doesn't make the EverTune a useless invention, which is what I'm getting from some posts in this thread.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I mean, it's a really expensive, intrusive, unintuitive, overcomplicated solution for a problem that isn't a problem. People will change their technique to cope with the weird bending but not change the part of their technique that made them think they need an evertune in the first place.

Yeah maybe some big name artists are using them. I'm sure they are compensated for it. For a fee, big name artists will also swear bolting a chunk of granite to your tremolo plate will give you the ultimate sustain and tone. Or weird picks. Or unobtanium coated strings. Or whatever they can to get more cash. There are artists desperate enough to put their names on a Dean.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I mean, it's a really expensive, intrusive, unintuitive, overcomplicated solution for a problem that isn't a problem. People will change their technique to cope with the weird bending but not change the part of their technique that made them think they need an evertune in the first place.

Yeah maybe some big name artists are using them. I'm sure they are compensated for it. For a fee, big name artists will also swear bolting a chunk of granite to your tremolo plate will give you the ultimate sustain and tone. Or weird picks. Or unobtanium coated strings. Or whatever they can to get more cash. There are artists desperate enough to put their names on a Dean.
Agreed.

Though for balance, it should be remembered that tinkerers, hackers and inventors constantly coming up with new hypotheses on how to improve the guitar are the reason we have genuine advances, such as true temperament frets, non-sucky picks, locking trems that lose close to zero tuning in use, humbucker pickups and, dare I say it, the solid body guitar.

But conversely, the bigger companies, who have to please investors with growth in sales and return on investment, feel almost duty-bound to throw new product to market. Hence EB's Cobalt strings, NYXL strings and, dare I say it, Gibson guitars and Evertune bridges. And of course, creating "buzz" through marketing is necessary to push this stuff, be it through endorsement deals or product placement on Tik Tok.

The choice, therefore, is whether you want to fall for the marketing, instead of some good old-fashioned critical thinking.

If you are, then I've got a five-string Strandberg to sell you. 😁

RevDrucifer

Reaction score

Or, you could spend 15 minutes learning how to set it up properly and just use the thing correctly without changing anything about your playing.

There’s no part of my technique that’s going to change the way guitars without an Evertune work.

I’m not anyone, no one gives me shit for free, I love the Evertune because it does exactly what it says it does when you learn how to use it. Same with Floyd’s, same with standard Strat trems and same with ToM’s.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
My takeaway here is that the EverTune is very beneficial for solving these issues, but it's definitely designed for professionals. If people here find it too intuitive to use, then they should stick with a regular fixed bridge instead and that's fine, but that doesn't make the EverTune a useless invention, which is what I'm getting from some posts in this thread.

I wouldn’t say “designed for professionals” anymore than any other trem is.

You set it up the same way you do any other trem, adjust one area for the action and another for intonation. That’s it.

Spend 15 minutes playing the guitar, pay attention to what’s happening with the zones/strings stretching, if you feel bending feel the slightest bit different, add tension to the string with a 1/4 turn of the tuning machine.

That’s as professional as you have to be to properly use an Evertune.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As someone who occasionally (and I do mean occasionally) used melodyne to stabalize bass, I'd like to see some basses with evertune.

golem

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I probably said this in another thread but I don't typically have tuning issues on my fixed bridge guitars. It might be how I play. One thing that I find interesting about the Evertune is lets you adjust the tension of the string which I think is interesting as often the only thing I can do to affect tension is change the string gauge.

Latest posts

')