How good is an Evertune actually?

• Thread starter Narzog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonsick

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but this "modern metal requires super clarity, absolute perfection and the utmost precision" shit irks the living fuck out of me and it's probably a good reason most of it sounds like synthetic ultra processed shit.
Oh man how much do I agree with this. To me, perfection was Skid Row Slave To The Grind. But sadly in order to make an impact, you do have to have that modern processed to shite sound.

I don't like it either.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Strobe

Reaction score
I've written this in threads before, but I will try to summarize briefly.

The evertune system is really damn good at keeping a guitar in tune for a long time. It does that thing. You can still bend - essentially the regular tuners can move you either from a zone where it bends just like a normal guitar, or back it off so that there is a zone where it does not change pitch when you bend. So you could have it bend immediately, or have a small amount of play before bending changes pitch. What this means is that you can either have it play like a normal guitar, or you can make it so that the note stays very much on pitch even if you strike it hard. The way I use it, is that I tend to set the high notes I am going to try and bend so that they change pitch immediately, and the lower notes I might back off a little so that they stay more intonated when I hit them hard (but can still bend them, just have to bend slightly more). This is pretty hard to understand conceptually just reading about it, but if you use it for a short time, you will get it.

Another advantage is that it is an easy bridge to set up. The adjustments are all done with a hex wrench of standard size. It's a good design in that sense.

The main drawbacks are more a matter of opinion. It cuts out a lot of wood from the guitar to install it. That may or may not matter to you. The other thing is that they have a little bit of a different sound to them the same way a Floyd Rose has a little bit of a different sound to it than a hard tail. Like a Floyd Rose, it's subtle, and I think the right pickups or even EQ settings would resolve any complaints someone might have - and you would have to be rather picky to even have a strong opinion on it. The final thing is, it takes some time to change the tuning. You can't just drop tune it in 5 seconds like a fixed bridge guitar. You would have to get a hex wrench out, and work with the bridge and the tuning peg together to get the right pitch and bending sensitivity you want again. It might take a minute or two for one string. Still quicker than changing tuning on a Floyd Rose, but not nearly as quick as changing tuning on a fixed bridge.

gnoll

Reaction score
This feels like one of those things where if you're not sure you need it, you probably don't need it.

Like, oh no, my guitar could potentially maybe go out of tune one day, so I better buy a new guitar with a convoluted bridge system thing that probably makes the guitar sound terrible and takes away all the things that are cool about guitars like the subtle variations in pitch as a string is plucked.

Meh. To each their own I guess.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
This feels like one of those things where if you're not sure you need it, you probably don't need it.

Like, oh no, my guitar could potentially maybe go out of tune one day, so I better buy a new guitar with a convoluted bridge system thing that probably makes the guitar sound terrible and takes away all the things that are cool about guitars like the subtle variations in pitch as a string is plucked.

The thought of strings going slightly out of tune when played being considered a cool thing really comes off as very boomer-ish. I don't believe any normal guitar player would think that's a sane thought unless they're deep down into the snake oil rabbit hole alongside tonewoods and tube amp warmth making significant differences.

It feels weird to me that most of this thread has been rather dismissive about an idea of a bridge that stays in tune, when this entire forum is built upon the foundations of adding an extra string on a guitar, which was considered a breakthrough in the guitar industry when Ibanez and Vai released the Universe. Hell, superstrats such as that and the RG are still considered "modern" even though they came out nearly 40 years ago.

I suppose traditionalism is inherent, but nobody is saying the EverTune should be on every guitar just like how traditional tremolo bridges still exist despite the Floyd Rose smoking them in terms of function. Much like the EverTune, the Floyd Rose also sacrifices a lot of the back body wood and requires a huge learning curve to set up properly, but that doesn't make them bad because they're just options that some guitarists want to utilize. You could always opt out of them if you don't want to deal with the hassle.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's crazy how Evertune has so many myths and legends about it.

There's the weird negative stuff about not being able to bend, which requires actively avoiding understanding how it works.

Then there's the positive stuff like being able to adjust string tension without changing string pitch or that it somehow perfectly intonates, which both require avoiding understanding how physics works.

It takes 2 minutes to read how it works, after which you can know exactly what it is capable of. I have no idea how people survive adult life if they struggle with things like Evertunes and Floyd Roses.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score

I agree with this quite a bit, actually. Just based off the comments alone in this thread where people aren’t really grasping the idea with the continuous “I don’t really have tuning issues” comments.

I don’t have tuning issues on any of my guitars, regardless of the bridge type. It’s reasonable to expect them to shift a couple cents after playing a bit because it’s the nature of the beast. I love the Evertune for that single thing alone, there is no drift. But if people are never in a situation where that drift is bothersome, they’ll simply won’t see the benefit to it.

')