How good is the Keith Merrow km6 mk2?

Justaguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, long story short, I never upgraded the pickups on my old guitar or bought a new one like I planned to do. I´ve played more and practiced more and I´m planning on getting a more intermediate guitar. I´m thinking of buying this used km6 mk2 I found on Reverb for 800 euro. Is it worth it? Can the Seymour Duncan Nazgul sentient pickups do metal and good clean tones? Are there any people here that own this guitar or those pickups that can tell me that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The Sentients are great clean, but the Nazguls lack a bit. But yeah, it should be a really solid guitar for you. They excel at metal no issue. The Nazgul was meant for extreme metal, and the Sentient is basically a tweaked '59 I believe? Or a tweaked jazz. Can't remember.

Justaguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Sentients are great clean, but the Nazguls lack a bit. But yeah, it should be a really solid guitar for you. They excel at metal no issue. The Nazgul was meant for extreme metal, and the Sentient is basically a tweaked '59 I believe? Or a tweaked jazz. Can't remember.

Thanks for answering. In what way does the Nazgul lack? Output? Also, I´ve heard that the sentient is a half-point in between the jazz and the 59.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Thanks for answering. In what way does the Nazgul lack? Output? Also, I´ve heard that the sentient is a half-point in between the jazz and the 59.

Cleans. They arent the clearest pickup. They're VERY high output with tons of aggression to a fault.

Justaguitarist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cleans. They arent the clearest pickup. They're VERY high output with tons of aggression to a fault.
Ah, that might be a problem. I kinda like clarity because I play proggier metal. Any better bridge pickup for prog metal like Opeth and Symbolic era Death? I like clear and detailed metal tones. I don´t like scooped tones that much.

Last edited:

efiltsohg

Reaction score
nazgul is probably the least scooped pickup imaginable :lol:

what he means regarding "clarity" is that very high output pickups like that will tend to break up on clean channels giving you a bit of dirt. If you want clean cleans get something lower output.

but the sentient is very popular among jazz/fusion types and should suit you well, if you use your neck pickup for cleans

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Yeah Nazgul/Sentient would be great for what you want.

The Nazgul may end up not being your exact flavour but its a good pickup

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
800 Euros for a used KM-6 doesn't sound like a very good deal. I'm basing my response on owning the 7 string version, so take that into consideration, but I feel like they're a $600 USD used guitar tops.

As for the Narguls, I found them to be very dry and scratchy sounding at B standard, less annoying at A standard, and surprising good in G standard.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Take a look at the DiMarzio D-Activator X set. They're high output but versatile. Good with cleans as well as dirt.

Shask

Reaction score
I have the Nazgul/Sentient set in my Schecter Banshee I keep tuned in D. I am surprised by the dislike in this thread because I love these pickups. I think the Nazgul is good for tight aggressive picking, such as Fear Factory or Pantera styles. It has that aggressive upper mid attack to it, and a solid low end chunk. The sentient is a solid Duncan neck pickup. It is not as bright as the Jazz I have in a different guitar. I like it split also.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have the Nazgul/Sentient set in my Schecter Banshee I keep tuned in D. I am surprised by the dislike in this thread

There's dislike? Everyone seems in agreement that it's probably what OP wants. :lol: The Nazgul is a balls-to-the-wall metal pickup. Lots of midrange and treble. People seem to prefer the Black Winter when they want more clarity, but the Nazgul should be fine for what you want.