How hard is it to get rid of fret buzz?

• Thread starter Chronic-Headache
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know much about messing with the hardware, so I bring it in to my music shop to get things like string repair done. I got a schecter Hellraiser c7 in late December and brought it in to fix some nasty fret buzz on the lower B and E strings, but there is still some slight buzzing going on. I'm going to bring it in again later to get it fixed. Is this common on ERguitars in Elmore register? Or am I just a magnet for inconvenience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScornEmperor

Reaction score
I had fret buzz on my Hellraiser. I took it to a local luthier (Mike Lull) who plecked the frets and did other standard adjustments. The action is now super low with no buzz. So it could be that your frets are a bit unevenly worn and could use plecking? But this is a little expensive so I'd check everything else first. It's amazing how little fret material and string needs to make contact to cause buzz.

Is your buzz coming from a particular fret or every fret on the board?

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
What gauge strings are you using? How low is your action? What's your neck relief like? Are your frets noticeably uneven? Is the buzz consistent, or concentrated near certain frets?

Reaction score
What gauge strings are you using? How low is your action? What's your neck relief like? Are your frets noticeably uneven? Is the buzz consistent, or concentrated near certain frets?

Like I said, I know very little about hardware maintenance, so I have know idea what your talking about...:ugh:

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Every fret.

Like I said, I know very little about hardware maintenance, so I have know idea what your talking about...:ugh:

This is a good time to start learning if you don't even know what string gauge, action, and neck relief are. There's plenty of information available to help you get familiar with these terms.

The most likely answer is that your B string (and evidently your E string) is too light, though the action might be a hair too low on the bass side as well. If they're still the stock strings that came with the guitar, then string gauge is almost certainly the biggest contributor to your issue. If you've changed the strings or the shop did, it would be useful to know what string gauges were used. The values should be printed on the string packaging. Either way, most off-the-shelf ERG string sets use gauges that are far too light for the lower strings. Lighter gauge means less tension on the string, which means it can vibrate more freely, to the point that it may rattle on the frets if the action is low enough and/or you hit the strings hard enough.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Here's my one step plan to eliminating fret buzz.

1) Don't practice, spend all day on SSO instead. I haven't heard a buzzing string in my house in months!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Truss rod adjustment and action adjustment will normally get you pretty close to buzz free - both of which are easy if you give it a shot and learn how it all works. The one thing i can't really do is fret work, so some of my guitars do have slight buzzing here and there - need a luthier for that.

johnny_ace

Reaction score
Truss rod adjustment and action adjustment will normally get you pretty close to buzz free - both of which are easy if you give it a shot and learn how it all works. The one thing i can't really do is fret work, so some of my guitars do have slight buzzing here and there - need a luthier for that.

my issue of mine was with the nut... it was raised a bit got rid of it... if you find a good shop around take it to them and sometimes they might teach you how aswell as fixing the issue

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ yeah i did forget to mention the nut, i shimmed the nut on my ARZ307 and it took care of some buzzing- like you said, the guy at Alpha music told me what to do - free of charge

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
String gauges, I bet. If you are using stock sets then without a doubt the B string is far too light, the E string is slightly light. Especially evident if drop tuning :)
What are your gauges and tuning?

')