How healthy is the forum?

• Thread starter RevelGTR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Genuinely curious, feel free to delete if necessary. How healthy is this place numbers wise? I’ve been here for going on 15 years, and I’d guess that the peak was the djent boom of the early 2010’s. But it also seems like things have picked up a bit compared to 4-5 years ago potentially?

Just curious, and it’s nice that this place is still active. Sometimes it feels like this and TGP are the only ones left.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
No clue. Also not something I worry about :lol:. I either recognize a username or I dont is how I operate at all my hangouts. Things changed when the site got sold, and that is expected.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say relatively healthy. You've got a diverse group of guitar players with experience in all areas of our niche and if you have a question about a certain piece of gear, typically you get a response about even some of the more obscure bits of gear in a decent amount of time. We have a few YTers here that do gear runthroughs, show you what some stuff is capable of, we've got people who do the same with pickups, pedals, and show how even some of the most maligned gear can be put to good use, so overall, I'd say the forum is doing pretty. Added bonus is, we've got quite a few members who know quite a bit about the history of certain guitar runs and brands and how they've changed over the years. All that put together, there's quite the wealth of knowledge here, which is a HUGE plus.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I know forums are considered pase, now that FB exists. But FB is a horrible way to thread conversations. I’m on there, of course, but I enjoy this forum way more, because it’s easier to interact, keep track of topics, and learn. If Facebook completely went away tomorrow I’d miss nothing at all about it.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
tdf-screen-copy.jpg

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I know forums are considered pase, now that FB exists. But FB is a horrible way to thread conversations. I’m on there, of course, but I enjoy this forum way more, because it’s easier to interact, keep track of topics, and learn. If Facebook completely went away tomorrow I’d miss nothing at all about it.

It's interesting FB has come up because while people switched over to FB for interest groups/discussions back in the day, a lot of that is going back to forums/Reddit simply because Facebook's moderation is completely broken.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rich Froning, the fittest man on earth.

He attributes that physique to whole milk and peanut butter and nothing else no way nuh uh nothing not at all nada.
The only time i get an Iron Man done is when i listen to Paranoid. 🤌

Im not down with drinking cow anymore, that shit started to feel like 10/40 synthetic oil to me.

jaxadam

Reaction score
The only time i get an Iron Man done is when i listen to Paranoid. 🤌

Im not down with drinking cow anymore, that shit started to feel like 10/40 synthetic oil to me.

I believe that photo was taken back in 2013 or 2014 at the CrossFit Games where part of the “workout” was as a swim.

Yeah we don’t do any milk products here. Our oldest son drank milk one time as a kid and broke out in a rash so we have just steered clear, so we attribute our physiques to almond milk and protein pancakes with peanut butter… and Monster Energy.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm relatively new-ish (though long lurker). People here seem cooler and more helpful. For comparison, TGP is a disgusting dumpster fire.

It's probably good (for the members, not owners) that this place is not super popular. Things got much shittier at TGP during the pandemic, I'm guessing because people started taking up guitar and didn't have much to do. Most threads at TGP are clickbait dumb garbage.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm relatively new-ish (though long lurker). People here seem cooler and more helpful. For comparison, TGP is a disgusting dumpster fire.

It's probably good (for the members, not owners) that this place is not super popular. Things got much shittier at TGP during the pandemic, I'm guessing because people started taking up guitar and didn't have much to do. Most threads at TGP are clickbait dumb garbage.
Lots of clickbait dumb garbage here too, and it spiked alongside Periphery’s success.

So just have fun with it!

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Who was it who first decided forums were passé… Zuckerberg? I’m having trouble understanding why people would want to abandon a great specialty forum in favor of a gigantic platform run by people who don’t know or care anything about that topic. Is it just easier to log in to one social media app and live your entire online life there? Is longevity the issue? Is the big social media ad money keeping the lights on at FB groups where some forums are just failing financially?

')