How important is it to be able to sing what you play?

• Thread starter Bruceywilliams
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I dont mean singing lyrics while strumming chords. I mean playing melodic phrases and humming the notes at the same time. Thoughts? Do you think it is important to practice this like practicing technique? Ive always wondered how this is advantageous..my guitar teacher keeps telling me it is and he can sing and play amazingly well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Do you mean that the lines you write should flow in such a way that they're easily singable? IMO that would be pretty limiting in terms of what you could write on guitar.

Murmel

Reaction score
Jazz guitarists and pianists do this a lot, as well as some bassists. I think it's about developing some sort of understanding of melody in your head, and also developing the skill to be able to play what you hear in your head.

Reaction score
Do you mean that the lines you write should flow in such a way that they're easily singable? IMO that would be pretty limiting in terms of what you could write on guitar.

I mean to be able to hum the same notes simultaneously to playing the notes on the guitar. Of course I dont mean everything- it isnt possible to sing back a shredded, sweeping phrase but more in terms of blues/jazz/rock phrasing. Basically melody. Especially if its improvised, how would that be beneficial to your guitar playing? My teacher told me one good aspect is for being able to play what you hear in your head. What do you guys think?

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
I can see if you're improvising and have a solid ear, you would be able to hum what you're intending to play from your head and could listen if you're playing the notes you're intending to easier.

That also relies on your humming the right notes, though, haha.

Murmel

Reaction score
It's not only about it being beneficial to your guitar playing. It's about understanding melody as a whole, regardless of instrument.
If it's your cup of tea I'd definitely recommend doing it, I've tried it, but it wasn't my thing. The music I play doesn't really allow for it.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
I mean to be able to hum the same notes simultaneously to playing the notes on the guitar. Of course I dont mean everything- it isnt possible to sing back a shredded, sweeping phrase but more in terms of blues/jazz/rock phrasing. Basically melody. Especially if its improvised, how would that be beneficial to your guitar playing? My teacher told me one good aspect is for being able to play what you hear in your head. What do you guys think?

Oh gotcha. Yeah that would be a good goal to set. It would mean you're very good at translating your ideas into reality.

bey0ndreaz0n

Reaction score

Being able to sing and play in unison is extremely advantageous particularly if one of your goals is to be a proficient improviser. It means there's a more direct connection between your inner ear and and your hands. How great would it be to imagine and play anything instantly?

Sing while practicing scales and arpeggios, whatever you can, and you'll internalise the sound of these 10 times quicker. Improving your ear is one of THE most important things you can work on (and is often neglected), and singing is the best way to do that. Another benefit you'll get is being able to recognise things quickly in other people's playing (a chord, triad, scale, etc..)

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I thought it was a given. If you know the melody, you should be able to sing it. :shrug:

What I find to be a more important skill is sight singing. When you can look at a piece of paper, hear how it goes in your head, then pick up the guitar, you've already played the line without ever touching a string. What sight singing does is give your brain the skill to understand and internalize the music. I would argue that you're better off spending a year working through Lars Edlund's books than you would be to sing while you play. That said, there are some monster musicians who are famous for singing while they practice and even while they perform. Leonard Bernstein, Glenn Gould, and George Benson come to mind. Keep in mind, though, that on Bernstein and Gould's recordings, their practice habits spill over from time to time. ;)

Edit: In either case, the thing you're trying to accomplish is an innate understanding of musical gesture. You might not be able to sing all the notes in some ultra-fast shreddy line with complete clarity, but if you can imagine how that line sounds, or go "weedly weedly" with your voice, following the contour and letting your brain fill in the notes, then you are better off in music than someone who lacks the training or imagination to do that. When I compose, I look for shapes rather than plink out single notes one at a time. The ear is going to hear ascending and descending lines, expansions and contractions, repeated notes, big chords, little chords, a lot of really general things. When I turn on the radio, I'm not going "E G# F# A C# B..."

Reaction score
cool, i see what you guys mean. I've been practicing my scales while singing them. i guess its a start.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I enjoy doing it, I haven't got a great voice by any means, but when you sing and play simulatneously it somehow feels more connected, very medatative to me. I've found it beneficial in terms of many things, but one of the most beneficial aspects to me has been in my vibrato, it really helps you get a better control and in some ways when your mind makes the connection between the kinds of inflections your voice is more partial to and you mimick that on your guitar it can help in finding your own personal style :)

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
@5:00

Gilmour improvs that end bit every time he plays it.

Like everyone above said, it's a great exercise for your inner ear. Also a big help for if you start singing/playing at the same time (actual lyrics/words/songs, not just your guitar parts), you'll know what to listen for.

When I do vocal warm-ups before practice I'll sit with an acoustic, strum a chord and sing different notes in the chord, skipping from low to high just to get my ear warmed up.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Being able to sing what you want to play is very helpful. However, "singing" isn't necessarily literal. The main goal is to vocally articulate the musical phrase or gesture. I'm sure everyone on this board could "sing" Smoke on the Water which I think is one reason it is played by so many people, guitarists and non-guitarists alike.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Maybe just being able to translate what you hear in your head into your hands? Sometimes I wish I had a plug in my head like The Matrix that would just record my musical thoughts...

')