How long and hard would it be...

• Thread starter twiztedchild
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
..to build my own 8 string guitar from the ground up?

I never built any guitar befor, and am looking to start soon. but i wanted to know like how long does it take and the hardware how much would it all cost me? befor the paint.

also how long does it take for the paint to really dry? i heard some where that it wass like 6 months. is that true?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D

Desecrated

Do you have access to a woodshop with all the tools you need ?

Reaction score
well no, but i was thinking of trying to get everything i would need and just start making them :) but if i did about how long would you say it would take?

FortePenance

Reaction score
:rofl: Sorry man, but this thread title is damn dodgy.

Anyway to answer one of your questions, no it doesn't take 6 months for paint to dry. I think 3 weeks or something? Don't quote me on that though, bro.

Reaction score
umm, nope. but someone hear i forgot the guys name, but he makes guitars and bass in the UK or somewhere over there lol. he sent me a link to this website that sorta tells you how to build the neck and body and everything. the town i live in now i have noone that i know living close to me that would be able to teach me.

Reaction score
Well it really depends on what materials you'll be using. There's definatly going to be a big difference between using plywood or mahogany and if i was you i would start with something simpler because there are many guides for building 6 strings out there and fewer 7 string ones and then even fewer 8 string ones. Remember your going to have an extended fretboard. Anyways good luck

D

Desecrated

I think it would be cheaper and easier for you to just get a custom order.

Reaction score
yeah, i was just thinking i wanted to try and do it, and see if i could get anywhere with building my own guitars and also i firuged i would have to start out with maybe a 6 string or something, but i was just wondering like with all the hardware and stuff would it be cheaper to make my own 8 string or say buy one? and i know the cheapest(but very good) is the rg2228.

but i was thinking if i was able to build my own 7 or 8 string guitar i could then make the body the way i want, say if i wanted a ML look but with an 8 string neck or a V with a 8 string neck you know? like that type of stuff, since dean and gibson dont make 8 strings, and gibson also doesnt make 7 strings.

If he doesn't have the tool or a woodshop he needs to fix that to, so there is pretty much expensives to clear.

yes this is true, and i of crouse mean after i get that part figured out then start.

yeah making your own guitar is almost ALWAYS more expensive...

how so? if you talking time then wouldnt it really be about the same as getting a custom?

Jemm

Reaction score
Sign up at projectguitar.com, nicely introduce yourself to the community, explain what you want to do, explain the limited experience, and limited access to woodworking tools, start using the search function and based on the information you find, start asking informative questions.

Also read the book of Melvyn Hiscock - Make Your Own Electric Guitar.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Sign up at projectguitar.com, nicely introduce yourself to the community, explain what you want to do, explain the limited experience, and limited access to woodworking tools, start using the search function and based on the information you find, start asking informative questions.

Also read the book of Melvyn Hiscock - Make Your Own Electric Guitar.

Good luck!
where would i get that book?:scratch:

Reaction score
how so? if you talking time then wouldnt it really be about the same as getting a custom?

Well, it would be helpful if you told us what materials you intend on using and where your going to buy GOOD quality bridge/tremolo system for your 8 string. Honestly, i would just start making plans for it yet and find out where you can get a place to woodwork, most schools have a wood shop. But i think you biggest issue will be finding decent quality parts for an 8 string. (bridges/pickups) but im sure withen a year or so those parts will become available. But idk a good place for info is ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS ARCHIVE | 250,000+ Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs! just go to there guitar building section in the forums and there should be a few stickied posts regarding building your own guitar. Anyways good luck

Reaction score
Well, it would be helpful if you told us what materials you intend on using and where your going to buy GOOD quality bridge/tremolo system for your 8 string. Honestly, i would just start making plans for it yet and find out where you can get a place to woodwork, most schools have a wood shop. But i think you biggest issue will be finding decent quality parts for an 8 string. (bridges/pickups) but im sure withen a year or so those parts will become available. But idk a good place for info is ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS ARCHIVE | 250,000+ Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs! just go to there guitar building section in the forums and there should be a few stickied posts regarding building your own guitar. Anyways good luck

i agree with you, i am making plans for now :) and after i get the plans like what ii want the body to look like and everything then i would start building it, if i had a place to build it. and i was thinking of like maple or marhogany or something that isnt bass wood. I noticed that the rg228 is a basswood body.

and the bridge would most likely be a stop-tail, or what ever the string tough is called

and thanks for the link.:yesway:

')