How many fingers do you use on your right hand?

• Thread starter octatoan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I don't play extreme metal most of the time. And when I play faster stuff I tap it rather than plucking.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DXL

Reaction score
I use two unless I'm doing like consistent 8th notes, then I use three. For 16th notes or higher I use two fingers, somehow it works a lot better for speed than 3 fingers for me, but I get more stamina with three hence the use for consistent 8th notes

Bleach31

Reaction score
Usually 3, though I have been known to use all 5. I'm not the best with my thumb though, so it just gets used to throw a bass note in over some stuff on the higher strings when I'm feeling creative.

thegut

No Talent Ass Clown
Reaction score
Almost always 2 unless I need to speed things up then 3. I however very rarely play music that requires that.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Usually 3, though I have been known to use all 5. I'm not the best with my thumb though, so it just gets used to throw a bass note in over some stuff on the higher strings when I'm feeling creative.

I don't use my thumb often. I don't really slap, but if I'm doing octave playing I like using it.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
pick :lol:

Naw, I only use two. A LONG time a ago I experimented with 3 and it just didn't jive

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Pick, mainly, although I am aware that I need to get up to speed with fingers...

stevexc

Reaction score
90% of the time, 2. 3 if I'm tremolo picking or galloping, or the thumb if I'm slapping.

House74

Perfect Djentleman
Reaction score
Mostly just pick playing, but I will use only thumb every now and then (especially on the 4 string multicourse stiletto 8) I will use three though if we're just holding a note at the end of a song and i'm trying to match the bass drum pattern my drummer is doing.

Nmaster

Reaction score
It really depends on what part I'm playing, but I've made it a point to use my pinky when needed. So four.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I wasn't considering slap when I initially answered, but in that case the answer is still only two at a time :lol:. Thumb for slapping, index for popping. I'm trying with no success whatsoever so far to pop with my index and middle so I can do that slap triplet all the cool kids are doing these days, so hopefully I'll be able to claim I use three at some point in the future :lol:.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Most of the time I use a pick. But without a pick:

For stock style playing, it tends to change between 2 or 3 fingers depending on the groove. I was faster a while back, but I've been recently trying to get back up to speed. Getting much better at alternating between the 2 and 3 now.

I use the thumb for a warmer tone for those long sustaining moments, and when I need to go classical style, I'd use all except the pinkie.

For slapping, it's usually thumb and middle finger exclusively, though I'm trying to incorporate the index more and more.

Being learing flamenco guitar, I've incorporated rasqueado techniques on bass so during then that's when I finally use the pinky.

...so I guess I use all five fingers.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Generally 2 but sometimes I'll switch to finger picking style and use my thumb, making it 3.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
2 for me screwing around, and a pick for when I'm tracking.

I need to learn how to actually play the bass.

')