How many guitars is too many for you?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the limit for you guys? I used to think four was good for me, but I can't even justify that many :lol:

I will probably sell everything else off once my Vik gets here, and probably keep the OAF. Maybe down the line I'll get a nice semi-hollow too, but I can't justify that either at the moment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalGravy

Making a meat suit
Reaction score
7 is my self-imposed limit, tho, I have broken it. I say if you have guitars just for the sake of having them, rather then wanting to play them, you have too many.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
What sucks is being a bass player as well as a guitarist lol I also need some sort of backup for guitars and then guitars to fit in a more traditional setting versus a metal setting and then acoustics. This is how I break it down for me. And then there is also PICKUP VARIATIONS FOR RECORDING AHHHHHHHH.

1 8 - maybe
2 7s
3 6s
1 acoustic
4 basses

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have two 7-space racks. My semi-self imposed limit is having those racks full. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't (only have 10 at the moment) depending on what I buy/sell/trade/acquire/etc.

Honestly, as long as you have the space and the budget(...and a forgiving spouse), get as many guitars as you want. Why limit yourself?

Reaction score
I set d bar at 4 7's.

But will depend on your needs and real usage, if you're making money out of your music or getting close to a pro level, you can justify having more for sure.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
I have 7 right now, but there are 3 that I don't really play. Four seems pretty good, but it won't keep me from wanting more. The four I play are really enough variety for me for now.

GhostsofAcid

Suiçmez fanboy
Reaction score
Currently I have a 7, a 6, and a 4 string bass. Ideally I would have:

2 7's, one active and one passive
A 6 for cleans and non metal, probably a strat
A 5 string bass
Maybe an acoustic, or piezos in one of the other guitars

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just find myself only playing a small amount at a time, and I feel really bad when I look at my Seagull because its awesome, but I never touch it :lol:

You know, I think I've touched my Yamaha ATDC maybe four times in the last year, but those four times were awesome and make me never want to sell it.

It's quality time, not quantity time.

That's my limit right there..

Hence where I said "semi-self". :lol:

vancouvermetalguitarguy

Reaction score
Saw your post on fb lol

I guess right now I got 7 but only plays 2 or 3... makes me feel spoiled... so I'm trying to sell my guitars now too...

I just find myself only playing a small amount at a time, and I feel really bad when I look at my Seagull because its awesome, but I never touch it :lol:

Thats exactly it!

troyguitar

Reaction score
No number but right now I have too many that I really don't care about. I intend to sell off most of my stuff soon and only buy really nice things now that I live alone and can afford it.

sojorel

Scourge
Reaction score
I have 10, and feels like the right amount.

1x 8 string
2x 7 string
1x 6 string semi hollow
1x 6 string acoustic
5x 6 string electric

:metal:

Reaction score
Saw your post on fb lol

I guess right now I got 7 but only plays 2 or 3... makes me feel spoiled... so I'm trying to sell my guitars now too...

Thats exactly it!

Yeah thats the feeling, even though I bought them with my own money I still feel like shit. I actually lend my arc300 out a fair bit to relatives or close friends who want to pick up guitar so they dont buy some squire and decide not to learn guitar. Like I lent it to my cousin for like a year and she ended up really liking guitar and bought an RG350, which are awesome guitars imo!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
one for each purpose. so the limit is how many things you want to do.

a basic collection for me would be one 8 string, two 7 strings, two normal guitars, one or two baritone guitars, and 2 or 3 basses.

Right now my plan is that the 7 string in drop G works with the 6 string in drop C if you just tune the D string down a note, and the 5 string bass works with both if you tune the one string according to which one you're playing together with. Then i have a 6 string in drop D, and the baritone in drop D the octave below that, so they obviously work together. I'd love a 4 string bass in drop D to go with those too though.

edit: also, you have to add the obligatory acoustic instruments, but they don't count unless i no longer use them.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Well, for me this is complicated by the fact that I'd like to sell some of them, but I don't think I'd get much for them, so l just end up keeping them. Like the Agiles and the acoustic and my 5 string bass.

LtdRay

Reaction score
10's my limit don't have that many yet, but i will currently I have:
1 7 string
4 6 string (2 are projects)
1 acoustic
so 6 all together

')