How many guitars is too many for you?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riggy

Djun djun djun
Reaction score
Most I've ever had at once was six and that wasn't enough :3

Down to three at the moment (Two sixes and a seven).

I don't think you can ever have enough guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cosmitron

Reaction score
I don't feel the need to justify any of my guitars as collecting them is a hobby not a job!
But I feel guilt toward the ones that I don't play for more than a year. :/
So to answer OP, I don't have a limit, but I sell the ones I'm not using or intend to use in the future. :)

clopstyle

Reaction score
The minimum should be at least 9

Currently have -
3 7s(1 being a disassembled 7621) - want to sell both Ibbys and buy another Carvin.

3 6s - 1 live player and 1 backup for band #1(want to get at least 1 more good one to alternate from show to show). 1 with an alternate tune for band #2(will need to add a backup once this band starts gigging)

1 acoustic

Just sold my bass, but want to get an EBMM 5 stringer some day.

MiPwnYew

Reaction score
I have 3 six strings, 2 sevens, 1 acoustic, 1 classical, and 1 bass.

I feel like I spend more time looking at guitars to buy than actually playing so I'm going to say I'm at my limit right now :squint:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
My personal limit I'm sure will change as it has been as my plans expand :lol: Currently it's purely a case of tunings and function. If I factored in tone (on a larger scale) then I'd be permanently in debt.

As it is, the various guitars I want cover areas such as:
-ERG
-Nylon/classical ERG
-ERB
-Fretless ERB
-Open tuning 7
-Acoustic 7
-A 'lead' 7 string guitar (purely as my ERG can't have a tremolo)
-A 5ths tuned 6

I think that's pretty reasonable. At least, it would be if various technical reasons didn't require every single one of them to be a custom :lol: Thankfully, I'm not fussy about having a selection of tones in each of those areas. Oh, and I'm not gigging else I'd want backups :lol:

As long as each guitar provides a vastly different function, as those do, and I'd use each regularly - I think that's perfectly fine. I would begin to question myself if I were spending thousands purely on slight tonal variations or aesthetic differences. That said, I plan to have all of those by the time I'm 30 (currently 20) so I have to have something to spend money on afterwards... :lol::ugh:

Sometimes I wonder if I'd have been better off remaining as a B.C.Rich equipped wannabe rockstar :lol:

Grack

Tr00 and Kvlt
Reaction score
To me personally, 5 would be ideal so-to-speak, but I think my absolute limit would probably be 7; after that I'd start getting paranoid about whether or not I could get all of them out in time should my house ever catch fire.

And also my lucky number is 7, so its fitting.

noob_pwn

Reaction score
i try and keep 2 for each tuning for my touring/band guitars and maybe 2 more in standard tuning to mess with at home.
Anything more than that and they just dont get played enough to justify being owned, I'd rather have better touring equipment instead.
That being said, I always have bad GAS attacks and impulse buy shit and then flip it when I'm at home and have spare money. Owning an Axefx has really helped with this amp, pedal and rack fx wise but it doesn't mean i don't lust over a nice old LP or strat or whatever my flavour of the month is from time to time

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
i think the limit, is when you turn into bulb...

actually if you have some that sit for months or years without going played, that should be a sign

but if you play in a variety of tunings (as i do) having guitars specifically for that tuning is great

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
Playing in 3 different tunings and also bass, I can justify having up to 10 guitars (gig + backup):

2 7s in A
2 6s in D
2 6s in drop C
2 5s in A
2 4s in drop C

Additionally and for hobbying purposes, I would add:

8-str
Acoustic
Classical
Any guitar with a Floyd
A Gibson Studio
A Fender Stratocaster
Fretless 5-str
A Fender 5-str Jazz
A Fender 4-str Precision

... but in the end, financial limits aside, I would settle for a density of 0.1 guitars/sq ft, that would be approximately 50 guitars on a 450 sq ft appartment :lol: How awesome is that?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ I forgot to mention transpositions of tunings in my post above - instead referring to different tunings as different tunings entirely.

I change 'tuning' very regularly, but technical difficulties (such as snapping the high string) and me being anal about tension doesn't allow that haha. I use a capo! Thankfully, else I would need copies of all the planned guitars in 4 or 5 different scale lengths :lol:

troyguitar

Reaction score
I also want to get a pile of non-guitar instruments. Right now I have a digital keyboard and a violin, but eventually I want to get a cello, drum kit, harpsichord, electric violin, a few saxophones, clarinet... perhaps I should just get some good sample libraries and only learn the keyboard :lol:

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
too many guitars ? there is such a thing as too many guitars ? :scratch:

WANT MOAR WANT MOAR :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Now seriously, when I have so many that they take all the place and I gotta sleep in the cellar, MAYBE then I'll agree with myself that I have too much of them :lol:

I guess it's a matter of how you use them. If you use a ton of tunings, it can be practical to have one for each so you on't have to fuck around all the time. Plus if you're a gigging musician, you'll need backups. I think I read sometime somewhere that Iron Maiden have like 150 guitars although they're all the same strats and they only use standard E :lol:. Or you get many different ones for many different sounds if you're a sound whore or a collector. In the end it comes down to how many you can afford and store :lol:

so what was I saying again ? oh yes MOAR MOAR MOAR :shred:

AVWIII

Pope of Chilitown
Reaction score
I have a few, and in the past I've had about 15-18 at once.
In a complete change of attitude, I'm really considering going down to one or two electrics, and one nylon stringed guitar.
I really have trouble adapting to multiple guitars, and get hung up on one or two very easily.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I think... as many as I can afford and fit in my room.

I don't have a partner to worry about keeping happy (not sure if good or bad :lol:), and my parents are cool with it - my dad plays guitar himself and has a bit of a collection, and my mum has been married to him for nearly twenty years so she's past caring about how many are in the house. :lol:

I currently have a 7-space rack (with six instruments in it) and then another dual stand for my two pointies that won't fit in the rack. I plan on getting more, funds and space permitting. No matter how many I have, there'll probably always be one more I want at any given time :D

When all else fails, remember the golden equation:

"The correct number of guitars to own is n+1, where n = the number of guitars currently owned."

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
This thread is against the very nature of my soul, and I request its removal immediately ;)

Man, I think a nice, well rounded collection with some vintage stuff would be ideal.

Lets see,
1 - 8 string, just cuz
3 - 7 strings, they are just too similar. JP + UV + Custom would narrow out the market really
1 - extended range 7

Lets see...

Baritone 6 x2, a tele and super strat
American deluxe strat
Vintage strat
Vintage gibson les paul
Vintage tele
american deluxe tele
5 super strats of your choice
steinberger gt pro
5 80's guitars

I cant think of a more rounded collection then that.

TheBigGroove

Reaction score
I currently have 2 nice superstrat 6's, 1 really nice 7 and an acoustic. I think a les paul would complete the set. Don't think I'll ever get an 8. So far the acoustic and the 7 both set me back way too much money...but I wanted a mayo 7...annnnd I wanted an acoustic that I could do a lot of tapping and harmonic stuff on (I love Antoine Dufour).

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I was up to the mid 20's (all Jacksons and CHarvel-San Dimas ones too :) )
back in 2004 but now I have 2 7's and 3 6's and lately I've barely even touched my 7's.
Someone needs to come out with a new CD that features 7's that kicks ass soI can get some inspiration to play them.
damn you Nevermore!!!!! why'd you have to go and break up :(

')