How many guitars is too many for you?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
1 x 8 - for shits & giggles
4 x 7 - 1 main, 2 backup, one out on loan
4 x 6 - 2 standard tuned, 1 B/C tuned, 1 dismantled
1 x Electro-acoustic 6er
1 x Classical 6er
1 x Bass - 5 string

Currently 12.

Pretty much closed out. I may sell 1 of the 7s (the loaner is basically valueless or I'd be rid of it already), maybe 1 of the standard tuned 6s. I don't intend to acquire more without shipping others out.

Unless my needs change I'll be here or here abouts. I have enough to do band shit with in 6 or 7 with backup, plus bass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a weird collection. Some of the guitars I have I simply keep due to nostalgia.

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul - got it when I was 12. My dad (RIP) gave it to me. I ain't sellin' that thing.
Ibanez S540FM - the six string that I bought when I decided to "get serious". :)
Gibson Invader - don't ask. I bought it as a backup. I thought it was cool 'cause it has a Gibson factory whammy bar. I'll probably sell it.
Ibanez RG7620 - First sevenstring. (I'd probably like to sell this one, one day).
Carvin DC747c (Koa, Maple top) - I love this guitar. I put hours and hours on it. I really learned how to play 7 on this one.
Carvin DC747c - (Alder, Maple top) - I record with this one. Sounds great!
Pendulum Pro 8 - first, and only, 8 string.
Ovation Celebrity - this guitar has a big hole in the center of it and I don't know why.:lol:

Basses:
Univox - this was my dad's.
Epiphone 4 string - sellable, donateable.
Ibanez 5 string - at the school as I teach with this one.
Carvin LB75p - my first Carvin bass. Kickass 5 string.
Carvin LB76p - Carvin six string bass, main workhorse.

I love all my instruments. Whether they mark a certain point in my career or the circumstances in which I got them they've given me nothing but frustration and joy.:yesway:

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel I have too many, but every time I thin the herd, I end up just buying more.

I try to justify having them all by having each one fulfill a different purpose, i.e. different tuning, different pickups, etc.

TheBigGroove

Reaction score
According to every girlfriend I've ever had, the limit is 1.

girlfriend: I don't get why you need more than one
me: uhhh...just go to sleep
me: *in my head* awww my baby so stupid

or with my pops..
dad: so why are you getting another guitar?
me: welll this one's a longer scale length...changes some things. and I'm going with a different wood combination.
dad: wood combination?
me: yeah changes the tone.
dad: holy cow...thought steel guitars were made out of metal and what not...pretty crazy they don't warp.
me:......

I still actually answer his phone calls

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
I'm at seven guitars (two 7's, four 6's, acoustic 6) and a bass right now. Two of the electric 6 strings I only keep for sentimental reasons, and I really only play one. The bass is only used for recording nowadays, when I actually get a track far enough along to record bass. I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I brought home any more guitars without selling some off at this point, though I did just unload one of my heads so I could start building a rack. :lol:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
You need to get better girlfriends... :nono:

It's part of the women folks' inherent jealousy; they can't be outnumbered by the other things you love. And if you love it more than you love them, you must choose. :squint:

Easy choice for me; disregard females, etc...............

EDIT: Whoops, this isn't the Love and Relationships thread???

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I have 5 at the moment, with two customs coming in the future. I don't yet have enough as they all serve a different purpose.

Recently, I wrote out a list of just production guitars that I wanted. It totaled at around 70, though I could definitely add many more since then. If I were to have all the guitars on that list, I don't think I'd have enough guitars.

haffner1

Reaction score
Too many is always at least 2 more than I have right now. That way I will always be able to justify another one!

Dooky

Reaction score
I currently have 8.
I want 1 more (a standard scale 7 string. ie: 25.5")
I don't really like the idea of having anymore than that cos then there would be guitars that I would rarely play, but I can't sell any either, they're part of the family, lol.

They all play a different role.
Jackson Soloist SL1: My "expensive/nice metal guitar" (standard tuning).
Ibanez RG350M: My "cheap metal guitar" (standard tuning).
Gibson Les Paul Custom: My "expensive/nice all rounder" (standard tuning).
Ibanez ARZ800: My "cheap all rounder" (standard tuning)
Schecter BlackJack C7: My 7 string (Eb tuning).
Ibanez RG370MH: Rock/metal guitar for Eb tuning (Eb tuning).
Jackson Kelly PS6: 18th birthday present. Metal guitar. (D tuning)
Ibanez RX40: My first electric guitar.

2ManyShoes

10th Degree GearSlut
Reaction score
There is a simple formula for this, and I shall reveal it to you now. The number of guitars a man needs is equal to:

N+1

where N = the number of guitars he has now.

Here endeth the lesson.

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
I have them for use, if i can find it an use, i will see the way of getting it, right now:

Rga121: my best guitar but picky with dents so is going to be replaced soon of my rehearsal room (see? Use and afford) and come back to home/studio/bed
Parker pdf44pro: in the rehearsal room for band use and live.
Parker pdf44pro: at home for recording.
Blackjack atx c7: at home for recording and ultimate chugga.
Melendez custom: at home for floyd kind of tone.
Schecter stiletto studio 5: at home for recording.

I am saving for a guitar right know for the come back of the Rga, but i dont see in the future soon looking for another guitar.

jl-austin

Reaction score
No limit.

I made a promise to myself, 4 or so years ago that I would not sell off a guitar (unless I absolutely need the money). I have owned too many guitars that I wish I would not have sold. No more! Even if I can't stand it, I'm keeping them.

brett8388

Reaction score
I've given up on setting limits on my guitar collection. It will get as big as it needs to get.

As long as family responsibilities are taken care of first, I think you should be able to own as many guitars as you can.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
Well.. lets see.

There is no set base number of guitars in my collection but whenever i get a new one i would have to have at least one backup of that variety. So if i had an 8 string solid body i would at least need another 8 string solid body :D So as far as im concerned as long as my walls and floor have space i can keep expanding lol.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not sure... I plan on getting 2 more 7 strings and an 8 string... And including my 3 6-stringers. I guess 6 is my limit for now.

With that said, I'm getting more in the future. :lol:

broj15

Reaction score
Honestly, I could never have to many guitars. Now there does come a point where you might as well open a museum or a guitar shop, but I think as long as you have room for them and you don't sacrifice more important things (financially speaking) to buy a guitar then one should be a ble to have as many as they please.

But As far as practical use goes here's what i could see myself having:

- 1 Nice high end 7 string
- another not so high end but still nice 7 string as a backup
- 1 HH or HSH 6 string tuned to drop C
- 1 more traditional 6 string (for me an HH tele) tuned to standard/ half step down/ drop D
- 1 Nice acoustic
- 1 5 string bass
- 1 4 string bass tuned to drop C
- 1 4 string bass tuned to standard/ half step down/ drop D
- And 1 8 string just for fun.

So it looks like 9 guitars/ basses should cover it for me, but we all know the effect GAS can have.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I had so many this time last year, rg2228, JEM LNG, Ibby 2610, rga321, ESP mii, rg7621, and a prs mc carty.

I sold them all except for the ESP mii, best guitar ever and all I really need.

')