How many guitars is too many for you?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pink freud

Reaction score
When all else fails, remember the golden equation:

"The correct number of guitars to own is n+1, where n = the number of guitars currently owned."

No way, this is clearly a limit problem, but since going the other way is more fun:

F(X)= Integral (4TX+NX)(CX)/(M) dx

T=Number of distinct tunings (including various numbers of strings) times 4 for back-up guitars and acoustic versions
N=One-off Novelty guitars
C=Variations of colors of all guitars.
M=Motivation to change strings.

Judging by this highly scientific equation, I don't have nearly enough guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Honestly, as long as you have the space and the budget(...and a forgiving spouse), get as many guitars as you want. Why limit yourself?

THIS.....So much!

To me as long as I can afford awesome new guitars and have the room I think there will never be such a thing as too many guitars for me.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
THIS.....So much!

To me as long as I can afford awesome new guitars and have the room I think there will never be such a thing as too many guitars for me.

I'm running out of room to keep them. Looks like one of the roommates needs to go.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
I'm on 4 electrics I use alot, one cheapo Fender that I pick up once in awhile. They all have different tunings and quite different sounds, so I see them being justified. I plan on a seven string being my last guitar unless (god forbid) something happens to one of my others...but we all know how GAS works: "Oh, this one's my last FOR SURE!" Hah!

Vinchester

Reaction score
Ideally, about 4 electrics and one acoustic. I can't play guitar all day so anymore than this I wouldn't be able to distribute my playtime on each of them!

Seems like my Schecter will have to go soon...

EDIT : On second thought, fuck that. I'll buy as much as my fund allow :lol:

Chiba666

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about this question recently and this is what I have come up with.

2 x 7s in A both with Trems, preferably superstrats with 27 Inch necks.
2 Hard tail 6 strings. Done
2 x 6's with trems. Probably Vs. 1 down, 1 to go.
1 x 4 String bass. Done.

So a total of 7.

I have 1 7 in the post should arrive anyday now so my shopping list is one more 7 and 1 more 6.

I'm sure the wife will go with that. Honest

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
Talking with mom last night:

Mom: "So you got another guitar? How many are they already?"
Me: "6!"
Mom: "Why on earth would you need 6 guitars?!"
Me: "So how many pairs of black shoes do you have?"
Mom: "Touche"
Me: "The quantity of guitars I own is directly proportional to how happy I am"
Mom: "OK, I'm glad you're 6-guitars-happy"
Me: "Me too"
Mom: "I'm assuming you want to be happier than that"
Me: "Don't we all?"

:lol:

xS3THx94x

Disciple of Osiris
Reaction score
I'm what you'd call a collector, so there is no such thing as "too many guitars" for me. If I didn't collect, I'd say 5-7 would be good

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
I suppose 1-2 of each type that I actually need (I.e. Acoustic, 6-string electric, 7-string electric, etc.)

I currently have 2 but have just downsized from 4

jake7doyle

Reaction score
you can never have too many :p seriously though, if theres something i really wanna buy that i can afford i normally will try to and then shift something else to make way for it. try to keep no more than 6 at any time incl. acoustic bass and electrics

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I recently opened a case and said "i totally forgot that I owned this guitar."

I dont' think theres any such thing as "too many" but maybe get rid of the ones that you forget you have. :p

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I have too many for a non-performing musician. I would like to be a performing musician, but am having a hard time getting a band together. Basically, everything has kind of a backup but kind of does its own thing also.

2 8 strings in Drop E (RGA8 and Agile 82527)
2 6 strings with Floyds in Drop B (RGTHRG and Dime 333)
1 Strat in E standard (I made it)
1 Tele in E standard (I made that too)
1 335 in B standard (Sparrow)
1 Explorer in ?

and a Les Paul in a post office box makes 9. I reckon if I was using my studio to record other bands and they were using my guitars or if I managed to get a band together, I could totally justify having instruments around that don't get a lot of mileage. As it stands, I pretty much just play the RGT and the Agile. First world problems, eh?

StupidDav

Reaction score
I have 5, and I can easily think of 5 more I "need" to add to my collection. After I've got those 5 there'll be another 5 and so on :rolleyes:

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
I can justify having way too many guitars for my own good, probably up into the 40 range for as many possible variations on things that I know I'd use.

I think we all have problems.

Dooky

Reaction score
Honestly, as long as you have the space and the budget(...and a forgiving spouse), get as many guitars as you want. Why limit yourself?
I hate the idea of owning guitars that I very rarely play. It's cruelty against guitars.
It's a bit like car collectors who buy an awesome Ferrari or Bugati Veyron and never drive it. They just park it in their garage as a collectors item. Hate that shit. It's meant to be driven!!... Much like guitars. I like all my guitars to have the shit played out of them... which is why I would limit myself to 9...

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I currently have 6 guitars counting a bass and one on order. One, was my brother's and he gave it to me. The other two are project guitars that I don't play but keep for personal reasons, they are also worth nothing so there is no point in selling them. There is the bass but I want to always have one on hand.

The other two are a MIA Fender Strat that was modded to hell and back and a Siggery Eight string on order. I love the strat and will probably never sell it.

I can't see owning more than 3/4 guitars I intend on playing regularly. I don't really count the project Axes. If anything I may grab a 7 string to have one again and perhaps a super ERG like a 9/10. Beyond that I don't see the point, I wouldn't play them enough.

In short, four.

')