How many guitars is too many for you?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fortisursus

Reaction score
well it all depends on the money flow. You can never have too many guitars! But my wallet can say otherwise :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

animalwithin

Reaction score
I have 4 (one acoustic, three electrics). Each of my three electrics represents a different type of guitar: a semi-hollow with 3 P90 pickups, a soon to be Acacia 7-string super strat, and a soon to be unique Rhoads style V from Siggery. I want to round out my collection with a Gibson Zakk Wylde LP and thats it. Some would say I missing a Tele (I really want the Schecter Garza haha). More than 5 guitars is too much for me. I feel like more than 5, I won't be able to enjoy and spend time with the ones I have, coupled with my already hectic life.

Mordecai

Reaction score
the question is not too many, but do you possess the constitution to go further and collect as many as desired.

nickgray

Reaction score
I dunno, 50 should be enough, I think :lol: You gotta have a strat, a tele, a hollowbody, a semi-hollow, a jazzbox, a couple of 6 string and a few 7 string superstrats with different tunings, some with tremolos, some hardtails, some bolt-on, some neck-through. Several eight strings with different tunings, maybe one or two with tremolos. Lots of pickup variations, of course. A few classical, acoustic and 12-string guitars. At least one headless guitar.

In the end it all adds up :lol:

Dooky

Reaction score
I feel so sorry for the poor guitars that are left sitting all cold & lonely in their cases, just waiting to be played, but alas, shall only feel a warm embrace and strum of their strings on the rare ocassion their cruel owner can get around to it cos they've got over 15 guitars in their "collection".
"No limit"!? For shame on you greed guitar hoarders. For shame :noplease:

Chiba666

Reaction score
As many as you can afford, want or need. There is always a space clear for a Gibson Voodoo Explorer, no matter how many I end up with.

Just got to track one down, well track one down when I have disposable cash.

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
I like keeping my guitars each in their own tuning. As my moods and tastes change from day to day, that'll dictate which guitar I pick up off the rack to play that day. And I don't know about others here, but I'm always interested in trying out new tunings... ;)

I do think that having multiple guitars in the SAME tuning is a little redundant though, collectors aside. I mean, how many strats in E-standard strung with the exact same string gauge does one person need? :lol:

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
I don't think there is a limit for me, per se. I have 7 currently (three sixers in different body styles and pickups, one seven, one acoustic, and an eight on the way, and two basses). But I still want a tele-style guitar, and none of my current guitars have trems, no bolt-ons, and no single coils. So I could see getting as many as my budget/wife will allow me to, just to have a little of everything. I am thinking my next one after the 8 will be a bolt neck with a floyd and H-S-S pickups.

bazguitarman

Half assed at best
Reaction score
Tennessee, home of hillbillies and halfstacks.
I don't see any real reason to even worry about a limit one way or another. Have as many as you want or as few as you want. For whatever reasons you want. It's not like there are any set rules for this. Just different people's differing opinions.

I have no set limit really. Although I just have 7 right now

2 x 7's
3 x 6's - ( 1 X 24.75", 1 x 25.5", 1 x semi-hollow)
1 x acoustic 6 string
1 x 5 string bass

I only have plans to add one more guitar anytime soon. And that is a V. If I can find what I want. Who knows how many I may one day end up with.

mortbopet

I forgot
Reaction score
To answer the question simply, i would only own 2 guitars that does the "same" job. This means, i wouldnt own 3x 7 strings with the same scale length and tuning. But i would though own other 7 strings (maby with different scale lengths). i do not see a reason to own multiple guitars for the same job. A main and a backup should be enough, then you can focus on the quality on those 2 guitars instead of the quantity of guitars doing the same.

What i currently own:
1x 25.5" 7 string
1x 27" 7 string
1x 25.5" 6 string
1x 4 string bass
1x 6 string bass

Now i just need the backups!

Scrubface05

Reaction score
To answer this, and "How many guitars does a guitarist need", the answer is simply,

One more.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I am going to re post what I said in another thread

1. I always believed there is no such thing as too many guitars. If you have the financial means and space I see no logic as to why you should not.

2. Having played a lot of guitars sometimes you get in the mood to play certain ones. It is like being hungry, what do you want to eat? A burger, pizza, chicken? Or do you want whiskey, beer, vodka? Sometimes you might want to play guitar, but you want to play a certain one like a PRS or a Jackson or an ESP, Music Man, Ibanez, ect. And on top of that you might want some guitars with different pickups, wood combinations, bridges, ect. so it could go on and on as to why some one has so many guitars

And sometimes you just want the same guitar but in a different finish, just because it looks awesome :lol:

flypap3r

Banned
Reaction score
There is no limit, never! Well, until you have to buy a bigger flat to accommodate the collection.

')