How many guitars is too many for you?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rayaus

Reaction score
I set my limit to 7 guitars :

2 7 stringers (floyd and fixed bridge)
4 6 stringers (3 different tunings and a floating bridge guitar)
1 acoustic

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
I had sixteen at one time I think (!) and now I'm down to seven. I could have a hundred guitars and still justify it to myself somehow; I'm sure crack addicts have the same train of thought.

Azathoth43

ל ו ו י י ת ן
Reaction score
Someone at work asked me how many guitars I own. I asked "If I said 6 would that seem excessive?" He answered "No". I said in that case, 9.

At least I don't spend my money on drugs.

pink freud

Reaction score
Someone at work asked me how many guitars I own. I asked "If I said 6 would that seem excessive?" He answered "No". I said in that case, 9.

At least I don't spend my money on drugs.

Really?
cocaine-guitar.jpg

:squint:

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I'm doing a little bit of thread resurrection here but I have been thinking about the posted question quite a bit lately. I currently have 9 guitars and realized I'm only able to play 4 of them with any consistency. 5 of them just live in there cases most of the time. So for me its 4 guitars:

2 classical guitars
2 electrics: 1 with floating bridge, 1 hard tail or blocked bridge.

MWC262

Reaction score
552709_10151013799585003_1077229211_n.jpg

I'm with Steve Vai, you can never have enough guitars. But I find myself to not have enough space like he does with my guitars.. I've slimmed down from 11 guitars to 6. I just feel like I can't connect with the guitars anymore, plus not having space for them doesn't help.

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
Just went from 13 down to 4 recently, but i have room for another one just cause all my guitar needs aren't met. I'm sure it will go back up slowly though

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I think too many is when you have to stack them like cord wood instead of being able to give them a proper home. For some this would put the limit at 2, for others 2 dozen doesn't come close. I'm up to seven and there are so many more I want. Some to fill a niche and some to collect because guitars are playable art IMHO. And not just guitars mind you, I plan to add a violin or two, a couple basses, mandolin, banjo, etc.

A 1500+ guitar collection to rival Jimmy Page maybe a tad excessive though, but only maybe.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I could see myself having as little as two guitars, maybe three. All seven strings with tunings in B, Bb, and A standard. Thats the lowest I'd ever need to go and most of the time Id just be using them in their 6 string standard tuning with a few tunings using that 7th like Mastodon or practicing Amon Amarth.

At the moment, I have 4 but one of which I'm trying to sell; I have the Jackson as my go to, my Kramer in D, and my Strat will be fretless in maybe Open C or B standard to be really crazy.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
No amount of guitars is too many, if you play them. For me, I have a gigantic list of guitars that I want simply because I think they're cool. They could be the same exact guitar in different colors and I still want them simply for the novelty.

SymmetricScars

Reaction score
For me, 2 sevens, an acoustic, and a bass is all I really want or need. Anymore than that and I just don't think they'd get the playtime they deserve.

Dooky

Reaction score
I'd feel bad if I had more than the 8 I currently have, because then there would be a couple that I would rarely play; as it's a struggle to make use of the 8 that I have now.
It's just plain wrong if you have guitar sitting around collecting dust. It's guitar cruelty! You gotta be able to give them all plenty o' love and attention.:agreed:

Stealthtastic

Doesn't play guitar
Reaction score
Thats my limit, fortunately I'm a few short, so I have room for more.

dgs

Reaction score
The only limit for me is money. If I were wealthy there is no telling how many guitars, I would own (among other things like: Keyboards, drum machines, mixers, amps, mics, multitrack recorders, etc).

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I want 8 guitars, but i'm not limiting myself to that.

The only thing I know is however many you have right now, it's not enough.

AscendingMatt

Reaction score
i used to have 7

2-6's
1-7
1-8
2-acoustics
1-bass

but i sold on of the acoustics and a six to pay for a custom im having built

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Also, depends on if you like locking trems, having different guitars set up for different tunings if they all have locking trems.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Thats true, floating tremolos really make a difference. If you need a floating bridge and like to play in different tunings, then you basically need 1 guitar for each tuning. Unless you are a wizard at quick setups!

')