How much money do metal bands/musicians make in a year?

• Thread starter Mindcrime1204
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bumskull

Reaction score
David Ellefson had a great video about royalties and he said the break down was like this:

$100,000 toward recording the album
$25,000 for video
$75,000 for the next tour (probably covers 1 month, all the rest comes from promoters)

So basically, as David says, a band is $200,000 in the hole before they even sell 1 record. They make about $1, 2 tops, per record, so a band has to sell 200,000 just to break even. Remember, this money is not going to the studio or stage managers it's going straight to the label. The label has to pay all of these costs before the album starts selling, which is why a lot of labels will try to get their bands to write pop hits. So they can cover their asses and make a profit.

EDIT: Also because of this it is the LABEL not the artist who own the rights to any song or album.

Being a musician sucks :( I know that SX was only able to start touring after V, and to make a profit probably after Odyssey. This is why bands prefer to tour. It gives them more dough to pay of debts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DC23

Reaction score
This thread is depressing. But, I think it's very important and very informative. Most kids around here that play in bands start writing songs and then think they will be famous right away. They give up on school and focus on playing tiny bar shows and have nothing to show for it but pennies. I love music, love to play it, love to write, but would I drop out of university and give up on my degree to try to 'make it' in a band, no. Gigging and touring is fun, but I think knowing that you have a secure job that makes you a decent amount of money would really make touring and all of that a lot more enjoyable (knowing that it isn't you only source of income). I'm not ragging on any bands that really do try to make it as their full-time and sole income method. I think people that devoted to music deserve to be rewarded for their hard work (but sadly, with the industry, rarely is that the case). I just know that I couldn't enjoy it as much if I spent every waking moment besides playing freaking out about how to pay off my phone bill, or buying food! Either way, metal is awesome and I wouldn't play anything else (although sometimes the thought of releasing a pop-rock album with one song being a nice radio friendly catchy song and every other song being blistering death metal does come to mind haha).

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
££££££££££££££££
££££££££££££££££
£££££££££££££££
££££££££££££££££
££££££££££
££££££££££
££££££££££
££££££££££
£££££££££hanks
good to hear that you have a positive attitude. how's the work with ESP coming along too? any news you can share with us "groupies"..male that is ok?!!! :lol:

It's actually not coming along at all, the deal was being set up by our old manager, who we fired... he made all of these promises and followed through on none of them, so we kicked his ass to the curb, not going to pay somebody for not working. As of right now we're trying to put together a stellar press kit that we can shoot over to Ibanez... that's what we REALLY want!

Inazone

Reaction score
For my own purposes, I've decided to treat any out-of-town show as a road trip that might end up paying for itself, meaning travel expenses only. A tour would be a real vacation, and since people usually pay to go on vacation, any money earned on the road would be like a bonus.

My bandmates and I are all in our mid-20s through 30s and have obligations at home that are already a financial drain. I'm luckier than most because I get four weeks of paid time off each year, but for those that don't, any time off from a day job is money lost already. If I'm taking paid vacation from work, I'm at least not out any lost wages, so the prospect of making back gas money is about the best situation I can hope for. For some of the guys, it's going to be tough no matter what. I can only imagine how much harder it would be without at least a couple of financially stable band members or extremely supportive families.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's actually not coming along at all, the deal was being set up by our old manager, who we fired... he made all of these promises and followed through on none of them, so we kicked his ass to the curb, not going to pay somebody for not working. As of right now we're trying to put together a stellar press kit that we can shoot over to Ibanez... that's what we REALLY want!

That's cool, Devin. Do you guys use 7s?

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Variant, here's proof, we need to start a sea-food flavoured side project! :lol:

We'll crabwalk our way into the hearts of Americans.
zoidberg2tl9cc5.gif

Reaction score
David Ellefson had a great video about royalties and he said the break down was like this:

$100,000 toward recording the album
$25,000 for video
$75,000 for the next tour (probably covers 1 month, all the rest comes from promoters)

So basically, as David says, a band is $200,000 in the hole before they even sell 1 record. They make about $1, 2 tops, per record, so a band has to sell 200,000 just to break even. Remember, this money is not going to the studio or stage managers it's going straight to the label. The label has to pay all of these costs before the album starts selling, which is why a lot of labels will try to get their bands to write pop hits. So they can cover their asses and make a profit.

EDIT: Also because of this it is the LABEL not the artist who own the rights to any song or album.

Being a musician sucks :( I know that SX was only able to start touring after V, and to make a profit probably after Odyssey. This is why bands prefer to tour. It gives them more dough to pay of debts.

Every band has a different deal. Some artists (or their managers/lawyers) are able to negotiate different publishing deals so the label doesn't own 100% or maybe the label will own 100% but the publishing reverts back to the artist after a specific amount of time.

Indie labels (or metal labels) don't pressure artists to write "hit tunes" to recoup expenses. If that was their main concern they wouldn't sign bands like SX in the first place. The majority of label owners (at this level) are all about the music and the bands. They sign them because they like them.
The Major labels are a different story altogether. More than half the time they don't even let their artists write their own songs. They have staffed song-writers, who have also worked out publishing/writing deals. Their level of success/status will determine what % of publishing/rights they give up.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
^fair enough, but Im still determined to stay unsigned and in control for as long as I can. Ive spent the last 3 years learning the ins and outs of the industry and Im still convinced thats the best way to do it for as long as is possible. Im one of the few musicians I know thats trying as hard as I can not to get signed :lol:

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
That's cool, Devin. Do you guys use 7s?

Of course! tuned to drop G#

I would love an LACS, RGA shape, 27 inch scale, blank ebony fretboard (maybe an inverted cross on the 12th for EXTRA EVIL), with an almost "distressed" almost black cherry, finish on a flamed top with natural binding. Mahogany body, maple/walnut neck through, matching headstock, lo-pro edge trem, and as for pickups, well there I am unsure. :drool:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Keep dreaming. :fawk:

Just kidding, I hope you get your dream guitar like I got mine!

repoman1

Reaction score
My girlfriend's sister's boyfriend (!?) worked at a Guitar Center in NJ with the keyboard player from Symphony X for five years, during their break from V in 2002 to Paradise Lost in 2007.

I love my band, but I'm staying in school for sure..

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The drummer from Cold works at the GC by my house. Cool guy, BTW.

ubarhax

Reaction score
This thread is kinda depressing. My dream is to be in a band and be able to support myself with the money made touring, album sales, merch, etc. I can't see myself doing anything not involving music as a career.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
This thread is kinda depressing. My dream is to be in a band and be able to support myself with the money made touring, album sales, merch, etc. I can't see myself doing anything not involving music as a career.

Find a band you think can sell tickets and merchandise and manage them, taking 10%-20% off the gross door and shirt sales.

That should keep the wolves from the door, at least for a while.

A friend of mine (R.I.P.) used to manage a number of pub/club circuit bands (and some slightly bigger, including major label deals) and often used to joke about how he often made money while the band finished some gigs actually owing the promoter...

Harsh, but true.

Reaction score
Maybe Obama could channel some stimulus money to death metal bands.

"Bucks for Br00talz"

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score

And it's a good dream, but just realize that playing extreme music is almost definitely not going to do that. :yesway: Go out, have fun, work hard, but don't expect to make a comfortable living playing any form of extreme music, unless of course you have 0 debt and are down to live with your parents :D

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons record labels as we know them are on the way out. With myspace and such sites and with many ways of making your own music and getting it out there, a lot of bands are going DIY and keeping all of the money, using it to fund the expenses. It's possible, but you can record your own cds, do promotion, actually rent a tour bus, do shows, etc..and at the end of it all you won't be paying a label the money they spent on you because it's your money. To be honest I like that idea better from a financial standpoint. Granted you still won't be rolling in dough clearly..but no one else will see any profit from it than you if there is any to be had. Mind you..NOTHING IS FREE and you have to pay for it anyways. Studios, buses, all that come out of the money you're supposed to get..if you've made any at all..so you may as well cut out the middle man, do it yourself, and keep whatever money is left

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a good friend who has been somewhat of a "mentor" to me since the early 80's.
He's an amazing player, who has tried and tried for the last 20 years to "hit it big".
It never happened. Now he's playing in a cover band that gigs every Friday and Saturday night and they get paid $1,000.00 a night.
They split that 4 ways so he's making $2,000.00 a month playing covers.

He's so digusted but his love of playing keeps him going, he loves to be on stage.

')