How to build a showcase guitar solo!

• Thread starter JohnIce
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
Does Expert Village have a comedy series? If so, this should go there instead as an example of sarcastic deadpan. I love his subtle style of humor, playing like shit but pretending to be good. This brilliant piece of satire was clearly miscategorized as a guitar video.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
The video description says he (OP's video) graduated from Berklee?!?!?! :scratch:

He would be a pretty good player if he was just a regular, self taught, player, but someone with a formal education in guitar should be able to do better.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ I didn't even see the part about Berklee! :lol:

I like how the title is tips and technique. How the hell does this video help your technique? :lol:

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
I remember kids in my highschool putting togather blues solos way better than this... Was it just me or did he go bach and forth from the same riff... "dont be afraid to go back"... Just adding "fancy stuff=a bend or pulloff" between.. Can this even be called a "solo" in music..

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember kids in my highschool putting togather blues solos way better than this... Was it just me or did he go bach and forth from the same riff... "dont be afraid to go back"... Just adding "fancy stuff=a bend or pulloff" between.. Can this even be called a "solo" in music..

The idea, if I understand the video correctly, is to make a "showcase" piece to "gather all your friends and get all the girls' phone numbers". End quote. So it's supposed to be unaccompanied. For me, what makes it funny is two things:

1) He's horrible.
2) Why would you want to prepare a "showcase" solo to show off in front of friends? Auditioning for a music school yes, but sitting like that jamming on a pentatonic lick for 3 minutes, as a social event? Ehm nah... I wouldn't give that guy my phone number.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Expertvillage may as well give up, they will never be as helpful to me, and I'm sure all guitar players, as Larry Conklin's "hot licks" video. Life changing.

I don't think anyone could ever learn anything from expertvillage... the other day I saw a "How to build an electric guitar" episode, where the dude sat and explained the difference between a tremolo bridge and a stop-tail... not sure you should be building a guitar if you don't know that. :lol: Even for beginners the channel is pretty much useless...

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
That was painful...saying "ya know" over and over does NOT help get your message across.

The line at the end - "somethin' like dat" - is totally undermined by his inability to 'solo' at all, he struggled to even keep time...if he's playing a gig at a mental institution he just MIGHT get all the girls' phone numbers, but they're all gonna have the same one.

Sjusovaren

7-string n00b
Reaction score
That was... Interesting. If you want some social attention, why not just learn stuff like Brown-Eyed Girl or an acoustic arrangement of Sweet Child O' Mine and grab an acoustic? :lol:

Latest posts

')