How to descripe these bands?

• Thread starter Dentom79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dentom79

Reaction score
Hey there,

for quite some time I've been listening to bands which have this more melodic, progressive type of sound.

here is a small list:
-Haunted Shores
-Cyclames
-Of Man Not Of Machine
-Of Machines
-Periphery
-Lower Definition

(a lot of Misha in this list lol )

Now in my honest opinion, these bands all share a lot of similarities, the very original melodic guitars, the low end chugging ( sometimes djenty), youthfull cleans and great screams, and a overall progressive type of sound.

But how can I explain the sound of these bands to friends of mine?
At first I thought I'd name it "Progressive Melodic Post-Hardcore", but melodic hardcore might not be the right term ( I mean, gorrila bisquits is melodic hardcore too), and melodic metal isn't either:p .

also the term djent might be right for a few bands, but I don't like to use it , because in my opinion, calling this music djent is an understatement. (I think of djent as a part of a song, like a break) :p

tl;dr : give these bands a genre-name

ps: please don't start a "don't put bands into boxes" discussion, being able to put a global label on these type of bands makes my life easier trying to explain them ^^

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
Progressive metal?

I never saw a reason to having a 10-word genre name.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
New wave of american progressive metal

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I'd say like progressive metal but new sorta, wouldn't say all those bands are djent anyway, though I do consider it a genre.

Reaction score
Japanese Viking Post-Folk Doom Grind Sludge with a very, very slight hint of Modern Nordic Indie Synth Pop.

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
i know people that argue to hell and back with me when i try to put a band in a genre and find it goes into 12 different ones.

then they yell at me about why must i label and categorize it.

which i have to agree with.

but labeling has to work to an extent. otherwise you wouldnt give a shit about a certain band to begin with.

like my band is a thrashy progressive modern deathcore band. but i feel thats unfair to lump us in with deathcore as a whole cause i feel were better than that. id rather just say were a modern death than deathcore. as the only core elements we have are breakdowns.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
If 'djent' doesn't work, try "Meshuggah-influenced melodic prog metal," maybe then they'll understand :lol:

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Don't care, Don't care, Don't care.

Why do you need us to label them? Just type whatever you fucking think they are in to the field...

Dentom79

Reaction score
I already explained my reasons in the first post.

anyway, I like bulbcore :p

I might just keep continue calling them
"progressive melodic hardcore/metal"

thanks guys :p

boni

Reaction score
Post-modern Djent with lots of Nihiilistic lyrics and serialistic dissonant poly-rhythmic approach

Tthere nothing wrong with hating djent, because everyone knows, its a scientific fact, djent is the new deathcore.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Post-modern Djent with lots of Nihiilistic lyrics and serialistic dissonant poly-rhythmic approach

Tthere nothing wrong with hating djent, because everyone knows, its a scientific fact, djent is the new deathcore.

Post Modern Djent?

Are you fucking serious? It's only been around like 3 weeks for Christ's sake.

chasedowbr00t4l

Glitch City
Reaction score
Post Modern Djent?

Are you fucking serious? It's only been around like 3 weeks for Christ's sake.

umad.jpg

Latest posts

')