How To Fix a Banged up guitar?

• Thread starter SenorDingDong
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
I have a beat up ibanez that i love and want to fix up.. Several dings on the body and neck... Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
man sooo man things you can do, if your not worried about the paint, sand it down to the wood, and not alot of people suggest this but, i do it on some GEO models and it sounds fine. but fill the wholes with bondo IF THERE SMALL not a friggin cavity lol. sand it to make it seam less then paint. if the dings are holes use wood lol.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
well if you want to keep it the same wood grain you can sand it down and where the dents are put small drops of water on them, NOT A LOT just a couple let it soak in it will help swell the wood back up a bit so its not as bad, then you can and it more to bring out the blemishis, (i dont know how to spell it)

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
thanks for the replies, i'm taking pics right this moment, they aren't cavities, BUT i also could care less about the current paint color, i want a natural finish guitar, but does anyone know what SA bodies are made of and if it will look good?

Demiurge

Reaction score
Do you have the model name + number? I have an SA (SA260)and it's mahogany, but I don't believe that's true for all of them.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
no i have no clue the model number, i got it about five years ago and i haven't even been really playing for that long XD

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
this isn't my photo, but thats the exact guitar... damaga pics up in a minute

Attachments

• 3242_81376153952_511438952_1665110_5261973_n.jpg
    3242_81376153952_511438952_1665110_5261973_n.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 49

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
circled the dings, well the bigger ones at least... theres about two dozen little itty bittys... not including corners.. circled the body damage with green, sorry for the shitty quality... neck damage is very obvious... uncircled stuff on one photo is just sticker gunk

Attachments

• DSCN7009.JPG
    DSCN7009.JPG
    741.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN7017.JPG
    DSCN7017.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN7022.JPG
    DSCN7022.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN7014.JPG
    DSCN7014.JPG
    842.1 KB · Views: 39

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
well man the second picture in looks like its just finishing bumps you can sand that out, the other ones look a little more severe. as for the neck man i cant see how deep they are they may just be finish dents as well, as from what i can see in the first picture.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
well man the second picture in looks like its just finishing bumps you can sand that out, the other ones look a little more severe. as for the neck man i cant see how deep they are they may just be finish dents as well, as from what i can see in the first picture.

yeah the neck ones aren't too bad but they are a pain in the ass, i guess i should have been more careful :wallbash:

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
leaning it against stuff, strap fails, letting other people play it and they drop it, people in my house carelessly moving it

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Those are very minor in the list of battle scars my first bass had. PArt of headstock has a rake, unfinished area on the edge where a ceiling fan took a bit about 2" long

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
Those are very minor in the list of battle scars my first bass had. PArt of headstock has a rake, unfinished area on the edge where a ceiling fan took a bit about 2" long
HAHA thats one bad ass ceiling fan!

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
Don't strip that guitar!!! Unless you plan on spending the dollar on parts to make it worthwhile. There is a lot of time and effort in stripping the guitar!!!

If you must, use a chemical stripper. Rattle can spray jobs take a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time. A long time exposed to toxic fumes, too. It's hard work and very time consuming, labour intensive.

Remember: d(j)ents tell a story.

*I hope I didn't tread on any dreams - I hope I'm saving you a lot of effort*

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Don't strip that guitar!!! Unless you plan on spending the dollar on parts to make it worthwhile. There is a lot of time and effort in stripping the guitar!!!

If you must, use a chemical stripper. Rattle can spray jobs take a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time. A long time exposed to toxic fumes, too. It's hard work and very time consuming, labour intensive.

Remember: d(j)ents tell a story.

*I hope I didn't tread on any dreams - I hope I'm saving you a lot of effort*

yeah i'm planning on tung oiling it when its full stripped and sanded down, and i'm planning on making a full project out of it, i don't plan on using chemical stuff though

')