How to get a fully cranked tube tone from a low volume?

• Thread starter Mordecai
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
thank you for the re-quoting that. i guess my choice is to save up some cash for a hot plate or other device.

If you want a cheaper attenuater, I would recommend reading up more on that Weber MASS 200. They're one of the cheapest ones I can find that can handle a 5150's wattage, and still get good reviews.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
I'm sure this has already been said but even though you will be running the amp harder with an attenuator you still won't get that cranked tone because another key component is opening up the speakers. When you run an amp louder it pushes the speakers more too and that really opens up the sound.

Headphones can be like this too, you'll be listening to music and when you turn it up louder you'll get a bit more clarity. In some cases, louder is better.

I've been on this quest for some time now so I know how it is. ;)

Your best off getting a low wattage high gain amp and running through a 2x12.

http://www.baroncustomamps.com/snott.php That's what you want.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buy a copy of ReValver and a good set of headphones. Cheaper than most any attenuator, specialty cab, or amp mod that you'd need to get what is essentially your amp but watered down.

As for the 5150/6505 model in ReValver, it's SCARY close to the real thing, and certainly FAR more true to the tone of a 5150 than an attenuated 5150. It is made by Peavey after all. :lol:

SammerX

Reaction score
If you don't have issues with bothering people around you, I would just pick up a set of these: Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 ETYPlug Hearing Protection Earplugs, Large Clear Stem with White Tip (Clear): Electronics

There are multiple sizes for different ear canals. For me, the standard blue ones fit well. I wear these at a blues jam I go to frequently where the amps are cranked pretty loud.

They don't affect the sound quality at all as far as I can tell and they completely stop any issues I have had with volume. I even find that you can hear people talking fine when they are in, but at the same time a cranked 4x12 right in front of you isn't too loud.

Definitely a nice cheap solution.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
If you don't have issues with bothering people around you, I would just pick up a set of these: Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 ETYPlug Hearing Protection Earplugs, Large Clear Stem with White Tip (Clear): Electronics

There are multiple sizes for different ear canals. For me, the standard blue ones fit well. I wear these at a blues jam I go to frequently where the amps are cranked pretty loud.

They don't affect the sound quality at all as far as I can tell and they completely stop any issues I have had with volume. I even find that you can hear people talking fine when they are in, but at the same time a cranked 4x12 right in front of you isn't too loud.

Definitely a nice cheap solution.
This was the route I took. I keep em with me all the time.

Mordecai

Reaction score
this thread has been pretty useful guys, i might be looking into a copy of revolver for home use and just keep my 5150 for live applications for sure. :hbang:

')