How to get technically better?

• Thread starter DMONSTER
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DMONSTER

SS.org Dweller
Reaction score
Im looking for just some basic stuff to kind of clean up my playing, strengthen my fingers, and just get more comfortable playing technique-wise, like getting over the whole "awkward feel"/jumble of fingering with playing some stuff i guess. Been playing guitar for roughly 5 or 6 years, self taught and just wanting to get technically better, and I'd like to see some improvement :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlucardXIX

Is Encircle
Reaction score
Keep trying to learn harder and harder songs. Preferably by ear so you also get the aspect of learning the tones down.

KenAncients

Reaction score
Use guitar pro and set up a selection of notes utilizing all strings on your guitar. I have an 8 string so I use scales that cover every string. Allow it to repeat increasing the tempo 1 or 2 beat every time it repeats. Do it over and over and over doing different picking techniques. I personally always have a guitar in my hand when im at the house, just playing thru scales not really focusing on what im doing, building finger strength and dexterity while watching TV. The more time you invest in playing the better you have of seeing improvements. I try to play at least 5-6 hours a day. (including watching tv time).

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
Learn the 7 main modes on all strings in all positions. It doesn't mean that you have to play in those modes, but it helps give you a better understanding of where each note is on the fretboard, and how the notes interact with each other.

Also, learn a Paganini caprice, you don't need to get it to full speed, or even learn the whole thing, but there's just something about them that seem to help guitar technique.

Dirtdog

"Wicked Sensation"
Reaction score
heres some exercises
go (1242, 1343, 2421,3431,4121,4131) doing 8th notes than double time for 16th notes single string, then 2 strings
then do sequence backwards. then do (4212,4313,2124,3134,1424,1343) SAME
next is trips (124,134,241,341,412,413) start as eighth note trips then double-time for 16th note also do backwards
then (421,431,214,314,142,143) only do each one about four times each. Don't overdo it., and you should see some good results. I got some more but try these first. With a metronome or drum machine.

Might-is-Right

As a Lion...
Reaction score
Some good stuff so far. I've always gotten alot out of this site

The Wizard of Shred Blog

If you really read the blog thoroughly and do the stuff he talks about you will get better. There is tons of great free stuff on that site. I actually bought his alternate picking program and although its fairly expensive ($75) it was worth the price many times over.

emperor_black

Reaction score
Well, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. 6 years playing, self taught, etc. I tried learning songs. Learnt Lamb of God and Children of bodom stuff. But then what? There's only so much you can do by learning songs. You've got to figure out WHY that guy is doing what he's doing. That then takes you into learning the music theory and all that.

but then, most of rock's greatest songs start off with a catchy riff that has nothing to do with music theory. Like Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction or Ozzy Ozbourne's 'No More tears'. In the Ozzy song, the bassist just started playing, then the drummer came in followed by Zakk with simple notes. No blazing speedy licks, nothing. The simplest riffs form the best songs.

So, nowadays, I turn on the tv, turn on a groove in superior drummer, then let my fingers fly. if I come up with a catchy riff, I try to build a song out of it. That way, I have the satisfaction of creating something original and not copying someone else. When I want to create a lead line, then I look at which key my song was structured in, open up guitar-chords.com or somethign like that and find a scale which I can use to solo over.

El Brutal

Reaction score
I originally wrote a 3 paragraph response to this, but I thought it would stir up too much shit. Regardless, I disagree with your statement.
him i agree with emperor, learning more and more of other peoples songs often is not a good solution to improving on guitar unless trying to aquire technique used in songs that you'd like to learn. Honestly theory and comprehension of what your doing is the way to go.

AlucardXIX

Is Encircle
Reaction score
Theory wont teach you how to do 6 finger tapping or sweep picking. He never once mentioned theory in his initial post. The OP is talking about technical ability.

I took a theory class in high school, very basic stuff. It helped with understanding music more, but I didnt learn dick when it came to technique. I learned every bit of technique through learning songs. Figuring out how exactly to play X run in a song, or how to tap X number of notes with whatever number of fingers on your own is the best way to get better at your instrument.

darbdavys

Reaction score
The simplest riffs form the best songs.

3 words: Animals As Leaders.

edit:
him i agree with emperor, learning more and more of other peoples songs often is not a good solution to improving on guitar unless trying to aquire technique used in songs that you'd like to learn. Honestly theory and comprehension of what your doing is the way to go.
Ok, then explain, how do most world famous, considerably best classical musicians to be alive, can play this well, by playing music only written by other composers their entire lives?

cfrank

Reaction score
You can get by with exercises, but most of the time they are not that appealing (boring) as compared to learning songs. I'd say learn songs from bands that you like. If they are too hard for you just slow down the song and eventually you will get there : )

Dirtdog

"Wicked Sensation"
Reaction score
heres some exercises
go (1242, 1343, 2421,3431,4121,4131) doing 8th notes than double time for 16th notes single string, then 2 strings
then do sequence backwards. then do (4212,4313,2124,3134,1424,1343) SAME
next is trips (124,134,241,341,412,413) start as eighth note trips then double-time for 16th note also do backwards
then (421,431,214,314,142,143) only do each one about four times each. Don't overdo it., and you should see some good results. I got some more but try these first. With a metronome or drum machine.

After you are use to these chromatic sequences then apply these to scales patterns you know. It will really help since these sequences use fingerings that are most often used in scale patterns. Mix it up with bends and slides at the end of each pattern and you will get some cool licks. I didnt mention earlier but each finger gets a fret. And if you want you can put streches in there to help too.

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
+185672149 to the metronome.

Seriously none of the exercises will benefit you much unless you do some metronome practice. Also really work on always having the guitar in your hand and noodle away when your not doing any serious practice, it'll work wonders for your technique. :)

')