How to install into a DC727?

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
The way Carvin has the direct mounting setup on the DC727 is kind of proprietary.. the bass side of the pickup has two screw holes while the treble side has the one. However, on just about every pickup available, there's only one screw hole on either side. What can be done about this?

For clarity's sake, I'm going to be ordering a Bare Knuckle Warpig for the bridge and either a Seymour Duncan Jazz-7 or Dimarzio Air Norton 7.. both of which have just single screw mounts.

So will I have to do anything special with this? I really don't want to drill a screw hole into the guitar, nor do I want to install mounting rings (ugh.. 8 holes into a beautiful finish.. it makes me tear up thinking about it).

Does anyone have any experience with installing 3rd party pups into a 727?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Someone here actually HAD Carvin install his aftermarket pickups as a condition of the sale, perhaps yoiu could do the same.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just drill another hole and call it a day. It's not like it's in a place where anybody is going to see it.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the only that will have to be done is enlarge the pickup routes. Carvin routes are a might small.

Off topic here but is that your Carvin in your avatar? If so please post nice big pics of it so we can bask in its glory. The guitar in your avatar is quite lovely. :D

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
I think the only that will have to be done is enlarge the pickup routes. Carvin routes are a might small.

Off topic here but is that your Carvin in your avatar? If so please post nice big pics of it so we can bask in its glory. The guitar in your avatar is quite lovely. :D

Yes, that is mine =) I haven't fully read the rules about posting images on here, so if a mod finds the following pictures to not be in the right part of the site.. just go ahead and delete this post or give me a warning =)

P1010002.jpg

P1010004.jpg

And the full size of the picture of my avatar can be found with this link (limiting my picture whoring) right here!

kanamvar32

Reaction score
Someone here actually HAD Carvin install his aftermarket pickups as a condition of the sale, perhaps yoiu could do the same.

that would be me and it was only because the salesman at the store was a tech and luthier and would do it to get my business (and i thank him for it).

This is what was needed to get my pickups into the carvin dc727:

1) remove carvin pickups
2) sand down sides of pickup cavity to fit new pickups (used 80 grit sandpaper)
3) drill hole down middle of mounting area with power drill (forgot what size bit but try until you see what works for the mounting screws)
4) drill hole into pickup cavity wood area and mount pickups into cavity
5) wire pickups and test

It didn't really take up that long to do all the work just be careful when sanding and drilling.

Shaman

Reaction score
That DC727 is gorgeous! I love the top :)

I have been thinking of changing the bridge PU on my DC727 too, and I was thinking about the same thing.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that is mine =) I haven't fully read the rules about posting images on here, so if a mod finds the following pictures to not be in the right part of the site.. just go ahead and delete this post or give me a warning =)

And the full size of the picture of my avatar can be found with this link (limiting my picture whoring)

i don't think we really have much in terms of rules about picture posting limits here....just try to keep pics of a reasonable size.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I'm sorry, dude, but posting those pictures in this part of the site was TOTALLY inappropriate. :squint:

This is a pretty serious offfense. We can do one of two things. First, we can just ban your ass and block your IP, so that you'll never make sure a flagrant mockery of our rules again. Second, you can mail me that guitar, so at least the temptation to be a repeat offender will no longer be there.

:D

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, at least put a NSFW heading!!! I got wood here!!!

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score

Yeah, well you should have read the rules...because owning a sweet guitar and not posting pictures of it is grounds for banning. :D

Is that flamed walnut? Daaaaaaaaamn... :wag:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet guitar you've got there.
I've had the same question as Im having a Duncan put into mine , but I'm just going to have my luthier do it (Jim Mouradian , he's the man here in Bean town). I'd hate to mess up the quilt top on mine :eek:

BTW kanamvar32 how you liking those BKs? have you had a chance to crank em up yet?:shred:

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
yeahhh. i used a power sander to grind down the back plate of my dimarzio's rather than do more tot he guitar to fit them in. The pickips are too big in both dimensions and it probably woulda been better off to just enlarge the pickup cavity than fuck up the pickup. You're gonna have to screw holes into hte guitar anyway, unless you want to invent some alternative mounting method that doesn't use holes. Duct tape?

ya know, i actually was really fond of the old neck pickup for clean tones. For me, the AN7 has amazing lead tones and coil tapped is alright clean, but i kinda miss some of the sounds the stock pickup got me.

let me know what you think of the new pups when you get em in.

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
I'm sorry, dude, but posting those pictures in this part of the site was TOTALLY inappropriate. :squint:

This is a pretty serious offfense. We can do one of two things. First, we can just ban your ass and block your IP, so that you'll never make sure a flagrant mockery of our rules again. Second, you can mail me that guitar, so at least the temptation to be a repeat offender will no longer be there.

:D

[action=thadood]bows before his mighty seven string overlords[/action]

:bowdown: =)

Yeah, I think I'm going to take it to a shop to have it done.. if it's going in a $1500 guitar, it's worth doing it right. Now to find a reputable luthier in Memphis..

kanamvar32

Reaction score
Sweet guitar you've got there.
I've had the same question as Im having a Duncan put into mine , but I'm just going to have my luthier do it (Jim Mouradian , he's the man here in Bean town). I'd hate to mess up the quilt top on mine :eek:

BTW kanamvar32 how you liking those BKs? have you had a chance to crank em up yet?:shred:

they sound pretty good at low volumes. you can really tell that the ceramic warpig is a monster, even compare to the nailbomb (although its in the neck). just finished classes monday and will be cranking my amp once everyone but me moves out of the dorm building hahah. o man im going to make so much noise! plus im going back home this weekend so I'll get to try it in a better room. I'll definitely keep you updated.

Ryan

Reaction score

</jemsite>

edit: That top is digustingly awesome. :eek:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
What are the wings made of? Is it alder or mahogany?

')