How to make a metal tone with 2 amps in an axe fx II.

kylea1

Reaction score
I made a video going over step by step how i make a metal guitar tone using 2 amps with the axe fx II. Patch is available in the description!

Let me know what you think of it! :)

axe fx metal tone video

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Not bad man, you've got a good start there. Few things though... I found when making dual amp patches that you should do your EQ'ing in the amps, it saves all the CPU of the two filters you slapped on there and such, unless you REALLY need to get surgical but with the graphic EQ there's not a lot you can't do in the amp block itself. It also helps the two amps blend a lot more than using hard filters like you've done (in my experience).

Why do you put a noise gate first in the chain when the input gate is right there?

Also, it sounds like there's a lot of harmonic content and gain on your guitar sound. Drop down the gain and you'll be happier with the results, especially when using two amps because the goal is not to double the amount of content there. The goal of mixing amps is to take your favorite parts of two amps and put them into one sound (for example, the tight low end of a 5150 with the aggression of a Dual Rec).

The two volume and pan blocks are unnecessary when you can just use the Level knob on the two amps to balance your two levels as well. Same with the cab blocks, you could always just use the same cab for both amps and then mess with the amp EQ's and mic selection to save CPU. But if you get the sound you want then whatever works!

kylea1

Reaction score
Not bad man, you've got a good start there. Few things though... I found when making dual amp patches that you should do your EQ'ing in the amps, it saves all the CPU of the two filters you slapped on there and such, unless you REALLY need to get surgical but with the graphic EQ there's not a lot you can't do in the amp block itself. It also helps the two amps blend a lot more than using hard filters like you've done (in my experience).

Why do you put a noise gate first in the chain when the input gate is right there?

Also, it sounds like there's a lot of harmonic content and gain on your guitar sound. Drop down the gain and you'll be happier with the results, especially when using two amps because the goal is not to double the amount of content there. The goal of mixing amps is to take your favorite parts of two amps and put them into one sound (for example, the tight low end of a 5150 with the aggression of a Dual Rec).

The two volume and pan blocks are unnecessary when you can just use the Level knob on the two amps to balance your two levels as well. Same with the cab blocks, you could always just use the same cab for both amps and then mess with the amp EQ's and mic selection to save CPU. But if you get the sound you want then whatever works!

Ok awesome! Thanks for the tips, ive had the axe fx for a week or so, and im still learning. I had reasons for using filters after the individual amps, but ill give
It a shot within each amp.

Once again i really appreciate the input!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
You don't need a gate block at the start there is an inbuilt gate in the input; you can dial it directly.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Ok awesome! Thanks for the tips, ive had the axe fx for a week or so, and im still learning. I had reasons for using filters after the individual amps, but ill give
It a shot within each amp.

Once again i really appreciate the input!

No problem man. If you ever have any questions shoot me a message. :) It's a hard unit to learn.

')