How to practice for performing live/headbanging

• Thread starter Philippe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
Skip the beer, you need to be able to do this sober... especially if you got some really hard solos in the set you and your body will thank you for the avoidance of unecessary poisoning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
If you are going to headbang, warm up your neck, back and legs before you play, a good 15-30 min stretching session and a banana help :)

I headbanged the whole time I saw Dimmu Borgir play in 07 (even the slow parts, but slowly) I had a sore neck for about 3-4 days, after that, I started playing live and doing shows regularly, and that "after show neck pain" became less and less to the point where I can headbang at a show and be fine the next day.

Immortal_8

Immortal Prophecy
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to see how you go about practicing for shows and any tricks or practice routines you use. Also, I was wondering how to avoid neck pain since after playing a show I always find that my neck is sore for a couple of days after.

Thanks and take care

Just go up there and give it your all. Do some stretches before you start the set and you should be better the next day. :shred:

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
i do it the same way i practice guitar

to a metronome lol

just kidding, i just do it i guess?

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Practice naked in front of a mirror. I don't know how it works, but it helps.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
If you are going to headbang, warm up your neck, back and legs before you play, a good 15-30 min stretching session and a banana help :)

I headbanged the whole time I saw Dimmu Borgir play in 07 (even the slow parts, but slowly) I had a sore neck for about 3-4 days, after that, I started playing live and doing shows regularly, and that "after show neck pain" became less and less to the point where I can headbang at a show and be fine the next day.

I too saw Dimmu in 2007. Right when they released In Sorte... fuck man one of the most epic concerts of my life for sure; was headbanging the whole time because i was in the balcony too :metal:

Even got to meet them at the meet and greet at Hot Topic :lol: felt like meeting Dethklok lol

luca9583

Reaction score
Lol!!!

At the end of the day, all these metal bands are actually highly choreographed with their synchronized head banging etc..which is probably not deliberate, but an unspoken thing that seems to happen

In earlier line-ups of the DEP, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the body swings and general moves from the guitar players in 43% Burnt, amongst other tunes, were definitely prepared and choreographed to look right

:lol:

Latest posts

')