How to properly play a seven-string?

• Thread starter Poetic Maggot
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Only my second post here, so sorry if its in the wrong section! Feel free to move it if you wish!

So, I love the concept of having another string to noodle around with, and having more freedom to do what I want, but how should I go about coming up with riffs and such?

What I mean is, with a 7 string, it seems pretty easy to get lost in the "br00talz" and just chug away on the low B, but I don't wanna do that.

For some odd reason its hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea of coming up with good riffs with the 7th string, but not just the 7th string, if that makes sense. Any suggestions?...

Also, it'll be my first 7 string, and I plan on tuning it from low-to-high: B-E-A-D-G-B-E

Would that be called Drop B, even though its all in standard, and only the B is dropped?

And is this tuning good, or?...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
Thats B standard, Drop B would be something like B-F#-B-E-A-C#-F# I think,

"And is this tuning good, or?" A tuning is only good if you Can utilize it and use it for your needs, (as Cliched as that sounds)

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Another good tuning for seven string starters is A-E-A-D-G-B-E. I mean, you already know what to do with an A string right? This will just make you look at it differently. And a fresh perspective is what it's all about, right?

PS- Trust me, you will love seven strings.:yesway:

Reaction score
Another good tuning for seven string starters is A-E-A-D-G-B-E. I mean, you already know what to do with an A string right? This will just make you look at it differently. And a fresh perspective is what it's all about, right?

PS- Trust me, you will love seven strings.:yesway:

Thanks for the tip :) Seems pretty funky to have the A string on a lower string than the E. Gonna be fun :)

Reaction score
Drop A is a pretty logical tuning if you're used to any 6-string drop tuning. B standard is pretty logical if you're used to 6-string standard tunings.

Being used to standard tunings, I started in B standard and visualized the relationship between the extra low B and the low E as the same relationship the high B and E. Also, any chord using the high B can be rooted on the low B and remain the same quality - in drop A this applies equally to the usual A string.

dallasxr6

Reaction score
got my first 7 about 3 months ago and don't think iv touched my 6s since.....

What did catch me out tho was playing my usual drop tuned 6 songs on the 7 (in drop A) was where I was used to playing say the third and second strings, on the fourth and third strings, the third string notes need to be shifted back one fret.....
hope that makes sense.

Took me a bit, but getting the hang of it now

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
It's pretty much exactly the same. The 4th tuning interval is a string up from where you'd expect it to be on instinct, but with a bit of conscious thinking, you'll get over that.

Other than that, feel free to chug away. I certainly do. It's not as if having seven strings immediately makes your guitar more practical for shredding, or anything. Be creative, I guess? I only know the basic country/folk chords by name, and what I like to do is add a root on the low B where I can, and sometimes not play the highest note in the chord (I'm not sure what you call that) for a nice effect.

It's all up to you, man. A nice little challenge I like to give myself is to use, in a very tasteful, fluid manner, every string in a riff. If you're not a great guitarist, like me, it's a challenge, but it starts getting you used to the instrument.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Remember that the 7th string doesn't jut need to be used for low notes but can be used to play 6th string G at 10th position if you're in 7 string drop A tuning. It can be used to make 6 string notes more reachable higher up the neck.

Also, remember that scales and chords aren't just shapes but combinations of certain notes which can just be continued down, rather than needing to relearn all the "shapes you relied on before. 7 string may help you to avoid becoming stuck in "boxes".

Beowulf Von Thrashmeister

Reaction score
Remember that the 7th string doesn't jut need to be used for low notes but can be used to play 6th string G at 10th position if you're in 7 string drop A tuning. It can be used to make 6 string notes more reachable higher up the neck.

Also, remember that scales and chords aren't just shapes but combinations of certain notes which can just be continued down, rather than needing to relearn all the "shapes you relied on before. 7 string may help you to avoid becoming stuck in "boxes".

Well said !!!. :)

7 strings rule ... damn those infernal box shapes !!!. :D

groph

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip :) Seems pretty funky to have the A string on a lower string than the E. Gonna be fun :)

Just to make sure, the A string is an octave lower than the A string on a six string tuned in standard.

A (really fucking low) - E-A-D-G-B-E

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
Just to make sure, the A string is an octave lower than the A string on a six string tuned in standard.

I'm pretty sure that would be borderline unplayable so not really something to worry about...

broj15

Reaction score
i like to use drop tunings (mainly drop A) or B standard to come up with really full sounding bar chords. The extra low string just helps one guitar sound like more than what it is if that makes any sense lol. Doing some tapping on the low register strings (BEA or AEA depending on tuning) based around the aforementioned chords can also add a cool dimension to your playing.

Lankles

Fuelled by Chicken alone.
Reaction score

Yep, that low 7th string A is an octave below the 5th string A.

somniumaeternum said:
I'm pretty sure that would be borderline unplayable so not really something to worry about...

:scratch:

Latest posts

')