How to record / shoot playthrough videos

• Thread starter samclarke669
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

samclarke669

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope this is the right section to post this.

I'm in the process of recording some playthrough videos and i'm just wondering what the best method of recording/syncing up the video is?

Is it a case that most people record / mix the song and then basically mime the guitar parts when recording on a camera and mute the cameras audio and sync up, or do you record and shoot at the same time? I only ask because when I record i tend to only play little chunks at a time to make sure everything is as tight as possible (plus i mess up a fair bit!) and if i was recording and shooting in real time, there would be a lot of stop-starts to edit out.

I hope this makes sense, any insight would be great!

cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
It's the first way you described, just play along, then sync up, and mute the audio from the camera afterwards.
This way you can still make small mistakes in the video and that probably won't even be noticed since they're not hearing the camera audio ;)

samclarke669

Reaction score
I thought as much. It certainly sounds easier but I didn't know if there was something I was missing! Thanks!

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Also you can use something like a hand clap in front of the camera before a take (like a movie clapper) and sync the audio easily that way.

samclarke669

Reaction score
Great, cheers. So i'd do the clap before starting to record and basically delete anything before that?

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Yeah something short and peaky in nature is great to sync up stuff, rather than having something constant. So basically you'll have a visual que, before the actual material, of something short and instant, like a clap, and then you sync up the audio to that and delete everything until the actual material starts. and boom your audio is synced up.

Clapperboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whammy

Reaction score
I just put a click track count in before the audio begins.
The camera mic will also record the click track and I sync up both using that transient.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Yeah you want the audio peak that a clap produces to your audio track as well. It's not magic, it's just a simple trick. So it's something like this:
Start recording video
Start recording audio
Go to your video editing software
Look for the clap in both video and audio files (the visual que from video and the noise it produces from the audio)
Sync the files
Audio should be synced

E: Using the camera audio is perfectly viable as well.

')