How to shop for 8 string guitar?

• Thread starter alex1fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alex1fly

Reaction score
How do you all shop for 8 string guitars? I've been playing 22 years, dipped into the 7 string world last week (with a 25.5" cheapie) and want to just plunge all the way into 8 strings. Normally I wayyyy prefer trying guitars in person - just much better success rate at getting keepers when I can try before buying. But in my area (Denver/Boulder CO) there's like... four 8-string guitars within an hour's drive, each guitar in a different direction.

Any thoughts? Do I have to go online? Are there go-to beginner models that "punch above the price point" kind of like PRS SE or Squier Classic Vibe are known to do for 6-strings? Are there particular specs to look at like neck width that are kind of known to "make or break" the playing experience? Are there certain online vendors that do a decent job setting up and are also forgiving with returns/exchanges? What do you look for when trying out 8-stringers?

Thanks, Alex

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
RG8 is a good start. You can find them all over for around 250 bucks or so and are awesome mod platforms.
+1

Also look at Jackson's, Agile's and Schecter's offerings. Look at the spec sheets like scale lengths, hardware (pickups included) and construction type and choose according to your needs and tastes...?

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
To be honest, after almost a decade of playing 8 strings I think this is the ultimate "just buy a used prestige" situation. If you can find and afford any RG2228 variant you will get a quality guitar that will inform you very well what you do or don't like in an 8 string. And if it's not for you, you can sell it for as much as you paid.

Now, 2228s have gotten more expensive lately, so the barrier for entry might be higher than you're aiming. But worst case you'll get your money back, and best case it'll be a great high end 8 string.

alex1fly

Reaction score
+1

Also look at Jackson's, Agile's and Schecter's offerings. Look at the spec sheets like scale lengths, hardware (pickups included) and construction type and choose according to your needs and tastes...?
Thanks. I like the idea of going with a tried-and-true solution. I know that I like lighter-weight instruments (7 lbs and below) and that I often end up swapping pickups for Duncans and getting a shop to do a setup after I get to know the instrument. I am little concerned about getting something huge and having buyer's remorse because I couldn't handle the instrument beforehand.

Also having a solid neck and neck joint so that the instrument will intonate well is a must. And some life/soul to the instrument as well because I'm a hippie and like to feel a connection to the instrument while playing unplugged.

alex1fly

Reaction score
So there are some local options. Schecter Damien, RGIR28QMFX, Stephen Carpenter model, another ESP/LTD.

Does RG8 = RG2228 variant? There's so many RGs lol

Dayn

Reaction score
So there are some local options. Schecter Damien, RGIR28QMFX, Stephen Carpenter model, another ESP/LTD.

The RG8 is a standard line. The RG2228 is the Prestige line, made in Japan.

It's hard to go wrong with a used Prestige in good condition, and it's already pretty much impossible to go wrong with an RG2228. But it's not made anymore, hence you'll need to go used, unless you go for another Ibanez Prestige 8-string. I got my RG2228 nearly 13 years ago. I had it easy back then as it was the only 8-string on the market. I bought it sight unseen. Never regretted it, was my only guitar for nearly a decade. For a 'first' 8-string, it really does everything you could need while being very good quality.

Reaction score
If you're worried about the guitar's size, go with 27" scale length...?
To be honest, after almost a decade of playing 8 strings I think this is the ultimate "just buy a used prestige" situation. If you can find and afford any RG2228 variant you will get a quality guitar that will inform you very well what you do or don't like in an 8 string. And if it's not for you, you can sell it for as much as you paid.

Now, 2228s have gotten more expensive lately, so the barrier for entry might be higher than you're aiming. But worst case you'll get your money back, and best case it'll be a great high end 8 string.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

There are several Ibanezes.

RG8 is the standard line
RGMS8 is a standard line multiscale
RGI_ will be an Iron Label instrument which is a step up in specs
RGA8 was the original budget 8 string in the line and are a bit dodgy

The Prestige options are the RG2228, RG2228A, RG852, and RG5328. Any of these should be very good.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
I got an Agile Intrepid back in 2009 when the big 8 string boom happened and hated it. Sold it after maybe a year or so and didn't touch once since. Wanted to try 8 strings again so last summer I bought the Ibanez M80M which is the Meshuggah signature model and fell in love with it. It just fit. They are harder to find than an RG8 since I don't think they built as many. It isn't as versatile as other 8's as it only has one pickup but if you're looking for the "Shuggah sound, it has it. It's also on the higher end of "budget" 8 string guitars as used ones can go for in-between $950-$1,300 depending.

alex1fly

Reaction score
I'm looking more into Sweetwater now. Weight is really important to me, and they're the only online vendor that provides weights that I know of. And I've had mixed success in the past with asking for weights on Reverb/FB/Craigslist/Ebay.

Would anyone care to browse these axes and help me filter out ones that definite NO or definite YES? I'd like to keep it at 800 USD or below.

The Jackson X Series is the only one they have in stock right now that meets the desired price point and has a light weight.

Also feel free to slap some sense into me if I'm getting too esoteric about stuff.

alex1fly

Reaction score
Sorry, ignore my post above. It's a bit needy - this is my job to do! Lol.

Seriously though. What do you look for when buying your first 8 string guitar? Just pick one and gamble on it? Even among the suggestions above, there's several dozen choices coming up in my searches. Again I'm not very familiar with buying guitars online so I don't know how to pick a good one without holding it first.

I'm tempted to go with a used RG8 or budget Schecter just because the prices are so friendly. Are the electronics the main problem area with these budget axes or are there issues with other hardware? Like legitimate issues, not just "I don't like the tuning gear ratio" kind of issues.

Last edited:

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought my 8-string be cause it was on sale for one third of the price. £1000 off.

But yeah, was all prepared to just pick one online I liked the look of and hope for the best. As far as I can tell there's only one shop in all of Ireland that sells A 8-string.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score

Seriously though. What do you look for when buying your first 8 string guitar? Just pick one and gamble on it? Even among the suggestions above, there's several dozen choices coming up in my searches. Again I'm not very familiar with buying guitars online so I don't know how to pick a good one without holding it first.

I'm tempted to go with a used RG8 or budget Schecter just because the prices are so friendly. Are the electronics the main problem area with these budget axes or are there issues with other hardware? Like legitimate issues, not just "I don't like the tuning gear ratio" kind of issues.
I have the original bridge and tuners on my RG8 and no plans to change them. Only thing I had to change was the pickup as the stock ones are dreadful.

Reaction score
@alex1fly a guitar's weight varies a lot from guitar to guitar within the same brand and model, unless they're all made from man made materials like Aristides. I have a 6 string Ibanez S2120X that feels heavier than my RG8 but the S540 feels lighter. My UV777P feels light compared to my RG2027XVVs, both of them. Check the NEW guitars and see if they offer different from the same brand/model to see if the guitars' weight is different from sample to sample?

Generally speaking, the bigger the guitar, the heavier it will feel because we associate volume to weight, but it doesn't always match. If in doubt, call the seller and ask because that's a limitation you have that is decision making important.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I have the original bridge and tuners on my RG8 and no plans to change them. Only thing I had to change was the pickup as the stock ones are dreadful.
Completely forgot new nut too, imperative.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score

Nice thing is that you can pay extra for a setup at Sweetwater. Most of those guys have handled lots of 8 string guitars. Some smaller local shops might have a guitar tech who has never handled an 8 before. Trying before you buy is great if you can. If you cannot, I agree with the "buy a used prestige". The Ibanez RG2228 / 2228A are really hard to beat. The Premium / Iron lable / Standard Ibanez line is way more variable and will not have as nice of hardware as the Prestige / MIJ / Made in Japan Ibanez guitars.

alex1fly

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional thoughts. Looks like my best options are Sweetwater (to grab weights beforehand), RG8/Schecter with expectations of some elbow grease, or pony up extra $$ and get a used Prestige.

I would wonder what a used Prestige offers that other axes don't - as in, why is that such a go-to solution for sight-unseen purchasing? I'll do some more reading on here so don't feel like you need to hand hold me too much. I appreciate everyone's input here.

')