How to shop for 8 string guitar?

• Thread starter alex1fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
The Prestige is a higher end instrument with better hardware, pickups, and quality control. But they cost more, so if cost is a concern, go used rather than new.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
The Prestige is a higher end instrument with better hardware, pickups, and quality control. But they cost more, so if cost is a concern, go used rather than new.
... and this all translates into consistency.

@alex1fly - Most of us now know how to do our own deep setups (not just string change and intonation, but also electronics, neck and fret care), which means that we can even get a beater guitar and make her reborn again. Body dents and bad electronics don't scare me, twisted necks do.

A Prestige is a higher value guitar as new and as so is also cherished more than a beater low cost guitar. This also means that Ibanez Prestige guitars are generally better taken care of than regular level ones and many times looking almost like new with only a few scars here and there... which most of us don't mind at all.

... hence the saying "buy a used Prestige" being so popular and joked about around this corner of the webz...

Food for thought: we should shorten this "Buy a Used Prestige" to BaUP or just BUP...

alex1fly

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks. Prestiges seem to run around $1700 used.... is this normal? What would a good deal be on one?

Again my thanks for answering questions that have probably been answered a zillion times on here. Noted and appreciated.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
Normally I wayyyy prefer trying guitars in person - just much better success rate at getting keepers when I can try before buying. But in my area (Denver/Boulder CO) there's like... four 8-string guitars within an hour's drive, each guitar in a different direction
There's like 4 in stock at Drum City Guitarland not counting the left handed ones... Maybe give them a call and see if their website is up to date?

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks. Prestiges seem to run around $1700 used.... is this normal? What would a good deal be on one?

Again my thanks for answering questions that have probably been answered a zillion times on here. Noted and appreciated.
... Welcome to covid pricing times... I've been buying mine localy for 1100€ top, but local market moves very slowly so high priced guitars or gear just sits for ages...

alex1fly

Reaction score
There's an ESP/LTD and a 2021 Schecter Damien locally for $500/600, and a 2012 Prestige for $1000. Getting a serial number/year on the Prestige. Would a 2012 Prestige (27" scale) beat out a newer mid-level 28" scale axe?

Last edited:

bzhang9

Reaction score
$250 used RG8 in good shape all day for a 8 string newbie
no fills, great thin neck, can't messed it up

a well set up rg8 fells VERY similar to a prestige 8. The necks on those all feel about the same unlike the ibby 6/7 strings. rg8 is also lighter than prestige 8s and much lighter than 2228.

used low end legator for 300-400 is also a good option

alex1fly

Reaction score
Found a used guitar that meets all my specs - light weight, 28" scale length, bolt-on maple neck, looking awesome, price that I'm okay with. It's a Legator N8FP Ninja. But threads on here have me nervous about it with an easy way to return it if it sucks.

Granted after playing budget guitars for 21 years I've learned my way around low quality hardware and construction. But still... no way to know without playing it... maybe I shouldn't have searched for old threads about Legator! Lol hot topic

bzhang9

Reaction score
old legators threads are irrelevant, the new legator series have completely different hardware and better QC

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah, even as a past critic of legator, their newest stuff is fine. Decent instruments built right next to a lot of familiar brands.

alex1fly

Reaction score
Just ordered up an axe. Wow, what a journey of learning about options, researching models, and pondering my own playing style and wishes for this instrument. Thanks everyone for contributing feedback, it all really helped me get grounded. I thought I knew a lot about guitars - and I do about various Tele/Strat/SG/Les Paul/PRS types - but once you go beyond 7 strings it's a whole new world of manufacturers, scale lengths, and other considerations. Are you playing a regular guitar with 2 bass strings? A seven string with a lower string? A baritone guitar with a lower string and a higher string? Two-handed tapping your brains out? Pretty wild. Looking forward to the exploration here in 6ish weeks when it hopefully arrives and I'll share what it is ... selfishly protecting my first impression! Haha

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I think buying one of the cheaper options like RG8/Schechter and then working out what you do and don't like about it is a good way to start.

I bought an old Schechter C8 Hellraiser. Turns out 26.5" scale length was not to my liking, also don't really love active pickups. Second go around was an Ibanez M80M and I love the damn thing. Never selling it.

alex1fly

Reaction score
Guitar came yesterday. One of the new Agile headless multiscales with SS frets and Fluence pickups.

Wow, I have no idea what to do with this thing. LOL. So different from 7 string! Much exploration to be had, soon.

What's the deal with double truss rods? Do you need to adjust both equally?

Reaction score
Guitar came yesterday. One of the new Agile headless multiscales with SS frets and Fluence pickups.

Wow, I have no idea what to do with this thing. LOL. So different from 7 string! Much exploration to be had, soon.

What's the deal with double truss rods? Do you need to adjust both equally?
1 - Nice spec I think
2 - Fun times ahead, right?
3 - You need to adjust them according to the guitar's needs...

alex1fly

Reaction score
1 - Nice spec I think
2 - Fun times ahead, right?
3 - You need to adjust them according to the guitar's needs...
1- Yep, sweated over it quite a bit.
2 - Absolutely!
3 - Are there any dangers from adjusting one and not the other? I've got the setup down, just don't want to inadvertently damage the instrument from not knowing best practices for side-by-side truss rods.

')