How to start practicing?

• Thread starter Asrial
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Yes, that is a really serious question:
How do i start practice, and how do i practice correctly?!?

When i pick up my guitar and start practicing, i usually just end up practicing for 10 minutes, then just either put it back on my bed (with the head outside the bedside, to avoid mis-tuning (y)) or go into "metal-god"-mode and just play some random powerchords. :agreed: And i just tend to do that between 2 and 5 times a day. Pretty annoying. >_>'

What should i do to maintain focus, how long do i need to practice a day to get progressively better, any special way i should sit/stand/pick/use my left hand, and what songs would be good to practice hard on, especially some with a solo?

Yes, i got a metronome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
I think these resources would help you out loads:

John Petrucci's Rock Discipline

Guthrie Govan: Creative guitar 1

atimoc

deus ex machina
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it boils down to motivation - if you currently put down the guitar after ten minutes, playing clearly isn't motivating you at the moment. From that standpoint I'd suggest three motivation boosters. Think about the music you like and try to find two or three songs that meet the following criteria:

-You really want to learn to play them. Something that stands out and makes you say "Oh yeah, I want to learn how to do that". Make this choice yourself, not based on others' opinions. Once you find a song like that, practicing for hours at a time does not feel like a chore.

-They are above your current skill level, but still within reasonable reach. This way you'll see the progress you're making but avoid getting discouraged. From this standpoind I would avoid e.g. Guthrie at this point although the man is a legend and worth imitating licks and tricks from.

-They are different style-wise compared to each other. Not mandatory, but it will probably keep you interested for a longer time, and you also end up learning stuff from different areas of music. For example, maybe pick something that has a slightly tricky acoustic chord progression to balance another song that is more focused on developing lead guitar skills.

Technique exercises such as scale runs, chromatic stuff, sweeps etc. are good chop-building tools, but they can be boring as fuck if you don't have a specific goal that you know you are working towards. Once you figure out some songs you want to utilize the specific techniques in, it will be easier to find the motivation to focus on strictly the technique aspects.

And if you get stuck in a rut, remember that the feeling passes and that it happens to everybody from time to time. Good luck :yesway:

SjPedro

Reaction score
another great resource is John Petrucci's Book "Wild Stringdom" which is amazing too

AliceAxe

Reaction score
Make yourself a practice schedule and a lesson plan on paper. Mabee with a checklist if you need it. Set some goals as to what you want to learn and accomplish and work that into it. Get a binder and some folders to put sheet-music or books in. Have a special area for concentrated practice a corner of your room o studio setup just for that.

and example lesson plan might be:

warm up (stretching slow gentle chords and scales/pattern)
chords (theory, inversions, and progressions)
scales and arpeggios
theory/sigh-treading
songs you want to learn
warm down, with some free-form playing or messing with effects.

set a timer or clock for a certain time devoted to each skill like 10 minutes or so.
for each area of study have a book or folder with the page written down, or write this down in your schedule. You can have a calender or daily planner for this. this is also a good way to see the progress you are making.

If this is too restrictive, and rigid a routine, just post a general list on your wall similar to the one above as a reminder, and keep a stack of books with each of those subjects that you can rotate through.

the list on the wall will serve as a reminder and before you know it you will have played far longer then you would expect and be inspired too. Personal I find practice very addicting, too much so , as I tend to over do it. and be careful at first dont spend too long on one thing or you will tire out your hands before you can get to the next, and the last thing you want is an injury!

hope this helps :)

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Watch some Paul Gilbert clips in the tube with the guitar in hands. IMO the most motivating player/teacher ever. And pretty damn skilled too:)

Semi-pro

Reaction score
^^^ I'm pretty sure that his videos are the biggest reason why i'm on my 2nd year of this relentless get-your-chops-down trip:D

Warchest1

Reaction score
Just remember that you can do anything you want to if you put your mind to it. I suggest you look into some of Michael Angelo Batio's Speed Kills dvds, tons of great alternate picking excersises in there, as well as tips and advice. Download speed kills 3 and you're on the right track.

AliceAxe

Reaction score
Just remember that you can do anything you want to if you put your mind to it. I suggest you look into some of Michael Angelo Batio's Speed Kills dvds, tons of great alternate picking excersises in there, as well as tips and advice. Download speed kills 3 and you're on the right track.

:bowdown: Michael is great and funny guy too :) he was a big influence on me early on. I've got an autographed pic and pick in my studio :D
He is so well known for the speed stuff, but realy his music is not just all speed riffs, much of it is very tasteful and soulful IMO.

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
practice full fretboard scales, then play those scales in powerchords, write a simple riff using that scale, then write a simple solo using the same scale

i recomend the blues scale, its simple yet sounds awesome, it also has only five patterns to learn, within one week with this scale you should be able to jam with people

Attachments

• G_minor_blues.gif
    G_minor_blues.gif
    33.7 KB · Views: 32

Faded Grey

Reaction score
If you're really wanting to get a strong start, start slow. Slow practice is key to forming good techique. You should try and find what posture, pick angle/holding style and fingering style feel best for you. Once you get comfortable, it's good to start learning various stuff for techniques. Scales are always good for practicing techniques and crafting exercises from. I reccomend all these Rock Discipline recs, the video shows you some swell stuff you wouldn't even think would help,l ike stretching.

When you craft your practice routine it's best to make it to help you with what you want to do. Focus on techniques/patterns that you would plan on using, not just random wank stuff you'll never use. While it's good for a routine to have a structure, and they always should have clear goals, never let it get so stringent that it get's boring. It's always good to be free form. It could just happen, that a routine's not for you, you may benefit from just working on what you feel like on some days.

Last but not least, don't force yourself to practice tons. If you push your self too bad, it could lead to sloppiness, and getting fed up of guitar. Quality>quantity in the world of practice.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Relentless bumpething of doom

Waow! Lots of really really great tips!
But I went down to the library, asked the librarian about some good guitar books, and I found 2 really good books!

One of them was just a random technique-book that teaches about how to do pulloffs/hammerons, arpeggios/sweeps, bends and so on.
The other one was Metallica: under the microscope. It's MAD. Teaches some really good stuff with chromaticism, random scales, good excercises that builds up to really mean trash-metal riff construction, and just genius.

But I'm grabbing a "Rock Discipline"-DVD somewhere near the future.

@Chucknorrisred O_O <3 I needeth to learn that! New practice routine!

')