How to tell active from passive pups

Pawzuzu

Reaction score
Hello Sevenstring people, I searched the forums for a thread that describes my question, though no luck.
I want to be able to tell the difference between active and passive pups when for example browsing manufacturer sites. Specifically in regards to the Bareknucklepickups.com site, the descriptions doesn't tell me if it is active or passive. For the most part it just says high-output or low-output, but I'm not sure if that indicates whether it is active or passive. Can someone help me out? Any tips would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
bare knuckle pickups do not offer active pickups

the only active pickups i'm aware of are EMGs and the Blackout model by Seymour Duncan

Pawzuzu

Reaction score

Was I unclear about something? Please specify.

bare knuckle pickups do not offer active pickups

the only active pickups i'm aware of are EMGs and the Blackout model by Seymour Duncan

Alright that helps a little. I know the difference between the two, in terms of sound and that active pickups are powered by a battery, I was just thinking, if the manufacturer doesn't say that it is active, can I safely assume it is passive?

Reaction score
The new active Gibson Gem pickups look passive.

Pickups.jpg

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
all active pickups on websites or company product lines are labeled active, and there are other active pickups like Bartolini aswell, for guitar