How to write Djent??

• Thread starter ryane24
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ryane24

Reaction score
I'm not super experienced when it comes to writing music but I've written a few songs here and there. When it comes to Djent however I have a hard time. I broke down and bought an 8-string and now I feel like I need to write a Djent song to justify buying an 8-string, and it's been slow going.

One thing I started doing is setting a metronome some random place between 160 and 200bpm and just jamming out until something good comes out. That helped but only got me so far. When I listen to a really good djent riff it just sounds like controlled randomness...if that makes any sense. I guess my problem is when I hear a riff in my head I don't hear it in like 16th note subdivisions and weird time signatures lol.

That was a really long way to say, how do you Djent??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Listen to lots of music, learn to play any bits that you like the sound of, start writing your own stuff.

endmysuffering

I'm serious
Reaction score
Simplest way I can explain is write out number plots of what you're gonna play to start out eg.
00-000-0-00-0-0-000-0-000-0-0-00
The numbers can be random but find a point where it sounds wrong and offbeat. I got this from after the burial a long time ago and I use it occasionally in funk riffs now but I don't really add djent to my music so don't take my word too seriously on any of this.

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
binary5.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread is comedy gold.

Here's my useless contribution:

Mix 1/2 cup of cheerios with 1/4 cup of long grain rice. Mix thoroughly, then pour onto tab paper. Wipe away anything on the 3rd and 4th strings.

You should get something like this:

---------------------11-----------------
----------------------0-----------------
----------------------------------------
-----------1----1----------1---1-------
--000000----0----000000---0----0---

:lol:

But seriously, the best riffs are going to come about organically. Have your drummer sit as the kit and then just pound out some riffs. If anything sticks out, record it and maybe also write it down. Once you have a bunch of riffs, go through them and see what goes together. You can always spend some time listening to other bands who write stuff that sounds kind of like what you want to write, then make sure you listen to a little weird stuff in between to keep your writing a little fresher.

endmysuffering

I'm serious
Reaction score
This thread is comedy gold.

Here's my useless contribution:

Mix 1/2 cup of cheerios with 1/4 cup of long grain rice. Mix thoroughly, then pour onto tab paper. Wipe away anything on the 3rd and 4th strings.

You should get something like this:

---------------------11-----------------
----------------------0-----------------
-----------1----1----------1---1-------
--000000----0----000000---0----0---

:lol:

But seriously, the best riffs are going to come about organically. Have your drummer sit as the kit and then just pound out some riffs. If anything sticks out, record it and maybe also write it down. Once you have a bunch of riffs, go through them and see what goes together. You can always spend some time listening to other bands who write stuff that sounds kind of like what you want to write, then make sure you listen to a little weird stuff in between to keep your writing a little fresher.

What if your drummer doesn't odd time signature?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
What if your drummer doesn't odd time signature?

Then either play in common time or find a new drummer. :shrug:

What kind of djent drummer refuses to play in odd time, though? That's like a reggae drummer who refuses to play anything on the upbeats, or a funk drummer who refuses to play heavy on the downbeats...

Beefmuffin

New Boot Goofin
Reaction score
To be honest, I went through the same issue (don't have an 8 string though /cry) so I started to learn Northlane and After the Burial patterns and that unlocked everything for me. Especially After the Burial, Neo Seoul and the end of Collapse are great ways to get your wrist used to those odd patterns.

Descent

Reaction score
OP - Why not just spend time on writing some music instead of djent? You can pick bass parts on that low G while playing treble parts on the rest. You could also unstring the lower 2 strings if the neck will balance and play an interesting looking 6 string guitar :)

I have a 7 string and for the most part use the lowest string for the occasional octave but most of the time it just stays unused on there.

')