How would Dupstep and Djent sound together?

• Thread starter RG7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
I am planning on attempting to mix agressive guitar driven music with dubstep in the near future.
Already found a couple people who want to collab, its just about finding the time and seeing how we can make it work and if the result wont fail miserably!

Tones

Red paperclip trader
Reaction score
I am planning on attempting to mix agressive guitar driven music with dubstep in the near future.
Already found a couple people who want to collab, its just about finding the time and seeing how we can make it work and if the result wont fail miserably!
basically a kick ass synth would do the trick. Like a moog little phatty or something like that. My friend has one of those and it makes some of the most ridiculous sounds I have ever heard. You can modify the types of waves, to the attack time, decay.. etc.. etc.. of course the person playing the synth matters as well but that's just one piece of gear worth checking out

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see it blending too well unless it's just dub interludes here and there. Think Red Seas Fire ;)

Reaction score
check this :
its a song i made with some djent spots and an electronic-noir ending
i dont know exactly what dubstep is, but take a listen!

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Personally, I feel like there's a tempo problem.

Dubstep generally resides in the 130bpm range, with a lot of half-time feel that makes it sound like 65bpm.

Conversely, Drum N Bass/Jungle is usually around the 170bpm range, which is much more suitable for riffs IMHO.

Regardless, as much as I love the concept in theory, I have yet to hear a true metal/electronic hybrid that I thought was even remotely acceptable. Generally, the artists I hear that try to bridge the gap don't have enough familiarity with one side or the other. In other words, the good electronic producers can't write sick guitar riffs, and the good guitar players don't know how to produce sick warbly basslines. That's a gross over-generalization, but I think you'll all understand the point I'm getting at..

Milo

Reaction score
it would sound like attack attack! and bulb. Not a good combo.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´ve been thinking about trying it with a low-pass filter with a high resonance setting on guitar tracks to do the wobble sound. or some kind of EQ filter thingy anyway. you´d have to have one before and one after the distortion though, i think... i dunno.

basically just treating bass and guitars like synths when doing the wobble effects.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
A fair few people who either write and produce metal have also produced Dubstep stuff under an alias, but as others have said I've never heard anyone really pull off the two. There's stuff like that Excision mix with Raining Blood thrown in, but it didn't work v. well and you have to look at stuff like FLA's Millennium album for a guitar/beats mix that was killer (sounds really dated now though!).

I think the main problem is that the guitars will be fighting for space with the wob-wob mid bass (not the sub bass obviously), tempo isn't so much of a problem because the kind of dubstep you'd imagine guitars being married to is more the 'mechastep' stuff like Excision puts out which is generally a little faster than the more dubby dubstep that's slower and more laid back. It often has little double-time sections too... Djentstep could be a a good thing. Like, Whalestep here but Djentstep:

Also nobody should be listening to dubstep without some kind of sub-woofer. No sub-bass = half the music gone lol. It's also well worth hearing it in a live context because the music REALLY comes to life then, it's hard to replicate the trouser-browning depth of the bass at home. Good vibrations, essentially. A few mainstream clubs are playing this, for example (you're only a decade behind the dubstep scene chaps). I normally hate La Roux but when I've been out, heard this and the sub-bass comes rolling in... <3

On my laptop you can't even hear it haha, but through a good PA the bass is devastating and makes anything else they put out later on sound weak.

Anyway, I could imagine this sort of stuff with guitars:

^ minus the vocals

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´ve been thinking more about performing dnb/dubstep type music (i don´t nescessarily want to separate the two entirely, as i like blening the best of many genres together) with normal instruments only. maybe bring in synths where they could add more to the experience, like the wobble bass in dubstep. i like how Pendulum are more on the edge between DNB and rock than just sticking to a side, but i feel like they switch between the two more than just do it all the way.

also, if you guys want to hear a repetitive genre, try raggaeton. seriously, they all have the SAME FUCKING DRUMS :lol:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Funny you should say that - I'm working on a 30-40 minute track of this style. Meshuggah+Excision+Venetian Snares pretty much sums up the idea.
It seems the general consensus in this thread is that it wouldn't work very well...However, I've got it in my head and it's awesome. The hardest bit will be getting the mixing right so that it doesn't sound awful - somebody mentioned Excisions take on Raining Blood. Yeah - it was shit. But not much thought went into it imo.
I can easily imagine Excision mixed with Meshuggah working incredibly well :hbang:

Reaction score
haha I am also currently working on some electronic tunes that have both dubstep and djent influence. I think it was just a matter of time, nice to see others doing the same. the collective human conscious hard at work I see.

did two joke songs awhile back just for fun in garage band (first time playing around, nothing serious) http://www.myspace.com/aijaelkha

but now I am putting some effort into it and trying to come up with something unique. can't wait to hear what others are going to do within this influence, I see some people think it won't work but I have faith! I think dubstep/djent are pretty similar in a lot of ways, especially the DEEEEEEP groove'age factor.

meisterjager

Now available in HD
Reaction score
Dubstep broke my old Fiesta's suspension. 1000 watts of bass on crappy old springs that were probably stock, in a car running 120k miles just does no one any favours.

That being said, no one's mentioned Ted Maul yet.. but I guess they're more DnB than Dubstep.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Haha that's sig-worthy.

Also, Pendulum :( first album was great, but I don't enjoy anything they've done sine, lost a lot of the drum'n'bass side of their sound. Sucks.

Jontain

Reaction score
Would be an interesting combo, some dubstep does appeal to me but alot of it is not that great, for me.

If it was done well I think it would be ok, otherwise I think the sounds would get in the way of one another, wouldn't mind hearing some attempts mind.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Haha that's sig-worthy.

Also, Pendulum :( first album was great, but I don't enjoy anything they've done sine, lost a lot of the drum'n'bass side of their sound. Sucks.

Derail here, but... I think it was just a matter of feasibility. They made a choice to 'convert' to a fully live band as opposed to the trio of producers they were when they did the first album. They'd probably need an extra 12 people and an extra truck full of gear at every show to pull off all the layers they did on the first album in a fully live context. I get that In Silico is a more stripped down sound, but considering it's all live material, I like it as much as I liked Hold Your Colour but for different reasons. Like it or not, I think we can still probably agree that it was a big and brave step in the right direction for that corner of the music world, 'cause the DJ/dubplate culture was getting completely out of control. Ever since Pendulum made the switch, we've seen a giant increase in producers branching out into doing Live PA sets, and I think that's a beautiful thing. :yesway:

Sorry for the OT derail.

EliNoPants

Reaction score
jesusfucktits, i missed this thread, i've only checked out Algorithm so far, and i've already got a bit of a boner...i shall definitely be checking this out more tomorrow when i'm sober

')