How would Dupstep and Djent sound together?

• Thread starter RG7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
It would sound like this

I dont dislike dubstep but i hate the way its become so popular. I hate popular things. Probably a hipster but whatever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
As much as I enjoy good dubstep, I'm becoming very annoyed with the genre. It's everywhere, and everyone thinks they've discovered something new. The exact same way everyone was with djent, and to a certain extent still is.

Stop. Remixing. Everything.

Dubstep, along with every other electronic music genre suffers from the same problem. It's over all quality suffers when it's prominent in the mainstream. Electronic music is usually dreadful when it's in vogue because every basement dwelling teen with a laptop and a youtube account automatically thinks they are a "DJ". That means that the market just becomes flooded with crap, making it nearly impossible to find the good stuff. Dubstep, along with every other electronic genre excels when it is kept in the underground and within it's own scene.

SkapocalypseNow

Coffee Cups?
Reaction score
A place with stuff and things and people. Just kid
Dubstep, along with every other electronic music genre suffers from the same problem. It's over all quality suffers when it's prominent in the mainstream. Electronic music is usually dreadful when it's in vogue because every basement dwelling teen with a laptop and a youtube account automatically thinks they are a "DJ". That means that the market just becomes flooded with crap, making it nearly impossible to find the good stuff. Dubstep, along with every other electronic genre excels when it is kept in the underground and within it's own scene.
Arguably that could be the case with any kind of music. Every basement dwelling teen with a Squier Affinity Strat with a laptop, a webcam, and youtube account automatically thinks they're a part of the next big thing - things like that though are just a lot easier to weed out on Youtube. But, in all seriousness, looking at a lot of the genres that just suddenly got popular, it's very similar.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
this is more deathcore than djent but whatever:

oh my god :lol::lol:

this is like

people that shouldn't have heard about industrial music

who heard about industrial music

as far as djent and dubstep, i've thought about it before and planned on experimenting with it with some friends before

it seems like they'd conflict with each other, though

broj15

Reaction score
Arguably that could be the case with any kind of music. Every basement dwelling teen with a Squier Affinity Strat with a laptop, a webcam, and youtube account automatically thinks they're a part of the next big thing - things like that though are just a lot easier to weed out on Youtube. But, in all seriousness, looking at a lot of the genres that just suddenly got popular, it's very similar.

I can agree with that. However I feel that it is more noticable/ prominent with electronic music. To be a basement dwelling teen and play guitar - even at a novice level - still requires a bit of skill and effort (something alot of the "youtube generation" doesn't have) but to make dubstep (as far a I can tell from whatching my aquaintance - a so called "DJ".) is as simple as dragging this generic bass line over here and dragging this pre determined drumbeat over there.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I can agree with that. However I feel that it is more noticable/ prominent with electronic music. To be a basement dwelling teen and play guitar - even at a novice level - still requires a bit of skill and effort (something alot of the "youtube generation" doesn't have) but to make dubstep (as far a I can tell from whatching my aquaintance - a so called "DJ".) is as simple as dragging this generic bass line over here and dragging this pre determined drumbeat over there.

-shrug- might be easier in a program like ableton, but in Logic (at least from the way I've learned to do it) its really a bit of a bitch to make. And then to make something that's actually a full, layered, cohesive song (not just a simple LFO bassline with a basic melody on top), well theres quite a lot that goes into it.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
-shrug- might be easier in a program like ableton, but in Logic (at least from the way I've learned to do it) its really a bit of a bitch to make. And then to make something that's actually a full, layered, cohesive song (not just a simple LFO bassline with a basic melody on top), well theres quite a lot that goes into it.

Yeah, I really don't get the hate. Seems like one of the more demanding electronic genres if you ask me, but people have a problem with it and think it requires the least talent.
Usually requires designing quite a lot of synth patches, use of formant filters, very high amounts of rhythmic automation etc.

broj15

Reaction score
Hmm. All I've ever seen people use was FL studio 9, which is actually pretty versitile. one of my other friends uses it to create hardstyle (another electronic music genre) while I use it to make some atmospheric synth stuff to add a little black metal flavor to my music.

disclaimer: I do enjoy some dubstep but only very little. I enjoy alot of Rusko and Caspa and I think that Big Chocolate is taking it in an interesting direction. Not arguing that dubstep isn't demanding, but check this out...

Prodigy live - Spitfire - YouTube

Edit: would not embed :scream:

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't get the hate. Seems like one of the more demanding electronic genres if you ask me, but people have a problem with it and think it requires the least talent.
Usually requires designing quite a lot of synth patches, use of formant filters, very high amounts of rhythmic automation etc.

Yup, but hey, if people don't like something, obviously it sucks and takes no talent to make (and everyone who listens to it is stupid) :mad::realmad:

:nuts:

And I don't even really like dubstep, but the over the top hate is just silly in my opinion.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score

It's not difficult at all. It would be if people created their own patches from scratch, but they don't. At all. They use preset wub-patches, there are generally less synth lines than other electronic genres, less layers and less interesting percussion going on too. The thing that bugs me is how simple it is and how narrow the scope is for what actually constitutes 'dubstep'. It seems anything with slowish dub drums, wub-bass and a thin-as-piss lead line is bang on the money, with no real scope for expansion on that theme (none that people seem to be taking on anyway, without the purists getting up in arms about how "THAT'S NOT DUBSTEP RARARARARAARA" anyway).

That's what bugs me about it, that and the fact that this new wave of artists seem to be treading much of the same ground the electro-industrial artists of the 90s were... only not as interesting.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah shouldn't have made such a mass generalisation there, but my point is that the patches sound the same, and I guarantee you a huge portion of the people making it (especially the bedroom warriors) don't. The one seemingly 'genre defining' element of the style is that low end wobble bass that every dubstep artist seems to use... Whether or not they've made them from scratch they all start to blend together and even if it's EQ'd in a completely different way (say, Skrillex compared to some of Reso's stuff), because it's such a huge staple it just gets stale.

celticelk

Reaction score
Yeah shouldn't have made such a mass generalisation there, but my point is that the patches sound the same, and I guarantee you a huge portion of the people making it (especially the bedroom warriors) don't. The one seemingly 'genre defining' element of the style is that low end wobble bass that every dubstep artist seems to use... Whether or not they've made them from scratch they all start to blend together and even if it's EQ'd in a completely different way (say, Skrillex compared to some of Reso's stuff), because it's such a huge staple it just gets stale.

For some dubstep that gets outside of that freakishly-overblown wobble bass, listen to some Distance or Burial. Both predate the dubstep craze of the past couple of years, and have a substantially more minimalist take on the genre.

NovaReaper

Banned
Reaction score
ehh, who else has noticed that dubstep and djent are inherently very similar to eachother which are in turn very similar to nu metal?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
ehh, who else has noticed that dubstep and djent are inherently very similar to eachother which are in turn very similar to nu metal?

Yeah, I'd been listenting to stuff like Meshuggah for a while when I first heard dubstep (Excision). My immediate thought was 'It's like Meshuggah on a synth!'

')