How would Dupstep and Djent sound together?

• Thread starter RG7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_detox

lurkin'.
Reaction score
I like the idea, as long as it's pulled off well.

I think Enter Shikari have been bordering on a dubstep/rock mix with their newer stuff:

or

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I have a ridiculous synth and an 8 string.

I could try this, but I'm not going to. If anything, I'd do drum n' bass mixed with djent, or breakcore and djent.

In fact, I already started sequencing a breakcore song featuring samples from my 8 string.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9690611
Its very very very unfinished.

Jims

Reaction score
I like the idea, as long as it's pulled off well.

I think Enter Shikari have been bordering on a dubstep/rock mix with their newer stuff:

or

Enter Shikari release a studio album like that and they would seriously go up in my books even though its pretty main stream stuff in its self

PeteyG

Big Bear
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see it blending too well unless it's just dub interludes here and there. Think Red Seas Fire ;)

We haven't really done anything too much like dubstep as an interlude just yet I don't think, really we add whatever suits the music, but who knows.

I decided to cover a little bit of Gamma Ray Burst by Downlink (I think, could be wrong) on my RGA a while back, it sounds like this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/791394/GRB.mp3

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
I will begin to define the genre in theory:
Thy shall be known as "Djentstep"!
The genre mixes the electronic, wobbly bass-line of dubstep with a heavy, distorted sound found in the experimental metal sub-genre of "Djent". The genre of drum n' bass are also incorporated into the genre.
The genre are usually played by a regular band setup of drums, guitar (usually extended range), vocalist and bassist. Synthesizers, keyboards and MIDI-instruments in general are also incorporated into making the synthetic sound, while the guitar and the other instruments are keeping the metal influences true.

The drums used in this genre are usually electronically produced, to giving it a more drum n' bass-like feel, though are dubbed over 1:1 with a regular drumset.
The guitars are normally heavily distorted, and are playing the main riffs of the song, and eventual guitar solos. The guitars are normally 7-stringed or more, to compliment the already bass-heavy dubstep and drum n' bass influences.
The bass guitars are playing along the synth-generated bassline, but when it isn't present, the bass guitar usually got a life on its own, playing bass solos and more intense versions of the riffs that the guitars are playing.
The synthesizers are the main generator of the bassline. It is not always generating the bassline though, and can easily change role into a more ambient sound.

Main influences to this genre are bands like Algorithm, Pendulum, In flames and Periphery. Misha "Bulb" Mansoor, guitarist of Periphery, are currently trying to innovate the genre, yet no extra information has been released up to date.

Hope it's useful enough info. :p

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
We haven't really done anything too much like dubstep as an interlude just yet I don't think, really we add whatever suits the music, but who knows.

I decided to cover a little bit of Gamma Ray Burst by Downlink (I think, could be wrong) on my RGA a while back, it sounds like this.

That's awesome. Very much like the sort of sound I'd created in my head. The spazzy nature of the synths when replaced with guitars creates something quite interesting. Sub bass + ERG guitars = flawless victory.

Repped for proof of concept haha.

UGH

Reaction score
The likelihood of the word "djent" permeating everyday/common, language/culture is pretty slim. As is the likelihood of this amalgamation of musical sub-genres sounding coherent/good, especially together....

Reaction score

this is the closest Metal has come to bonding with dubstep. I dont think a single band has actually created a full lenght album. I think its a good idea yet to be correctly utilized.

yea...but here...gift.

thanatos

Reaction score
Coming from a metal background and producing drum'n'bass... i've tried to melt both genre but i don't think it could work.
The problem is mostly technical.
In dnb the main instrument is the bass . it SHOULD goes from 30 Hz (with a spike at 50 hz) to 10 khz. so basicly bass fill up the whole spectrum. it's the same with dubstep.
example this tune
OF GOD - Dimebag (of god/jswitch/dro & drdn) - SoundCloud

this tune use at the same time guitar and heavy bassline. and listen to it : the guitar is the high range to let the bass fill up the spectrum.
So you can't mix heavy palm muted riff with heavy distored massline. you got to choose one.
you have three choice
You put guitar in front but the drum and the bass are left behind : you sound like metal and not like electronic metal music ...your synth play high pitched note
You put guitar in front but with lots of sub bass : you could put heavy gabba kick under the guitar with no bass. it work like in lots of bezerker or atari teenage riot song.
you put the bass in front but the guitar play only high pitched note

To sum up you can't have at the same time palm muted riff with electronic bass...

british beef

Reaction score
Me and one of the guitarists, Roman of excessum (Excessum [ON HIATUS: News soon] on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads) Are starting a band that will incorporate aspects of dubstep, Intelligent dance music and various other electronic genres into a "Djent" sort of band. Imagine Monuments meets the arusha accord meets excision meets aphex twin and your halfway there.
Were in the process of writing at the minute and were looking for more members around the Bristol UK area. I think it can be done but it wall be interspersed in a way that there will be "wobbles" used in riffs for effect and used in their own sections.

edit: The project will be called REPTILITRON so look out for it

GUT-G

Inside the Vortex
Reaction score
Anyone need a vocalist for this kind of project in the UK (or elsewhere for that matter!), I will be more than up for it! Currently trying to create something along the same lines but would love to collaborate with some other people.

GUT-G

Inside the Vortex
Reaction score
Oh Yeah! Distance is one of the pioneers of dubstep and loves his metal. It is very evident on this track:

Blurring the lines between a bassline and a guitar line?:nuts: Oh where have I heard of that idea before?:scratch: Maybe 8 string guitars?:eek: Haha!:lol:

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but I've been bumming off this track for a while now, and while I know it probably isn't to everyones' liking, some bits are downright awesome.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for bumping this Tony!

This was like colliding with a plane propeller in slow motion. Fucking awesome.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a djentstep band as it goes (Yes I just went there).

')