How would this be possible?

• Thread starter BucketheadRules
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score

I'm thinking at about 0:31 onwards. How is it possible to play that fast, or rather, how long does it take to build this kind of speed up? I honestly can't see myself being able to play at this kind of speed for a very long time but how would one go about building up to that level?

Connor

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
It isn't possible :lol:

EDIT: Shawn Lane said the he developed all his technique by the age of 16, IIRC. :/

timbaline

My name isn't Tim
Reaction score
Nope, he's Shawn Lane. He's at another level of guitar godliness. Oh and BTW he isn't tapping.

Maybe one day, I might be able to do that.

FWB

Reaction score
I wouldn't feel too bad about not having technique like Shawn Lane's. Anyone that claims that his talents were anything other than innate has not spent very much time trying to practice those techniques.

sonofabias

Reaction score
That just makes me want to kill myself. :(

:wavey: Just get his instructional video , I spent about 5 yrs off and on studying his tech. as well Gambale, T. MacAlpine and P. Gilbert. The fingerings he uses helps to facilitate the velocities at which he plays. I'm not saying I'm as fast in any way, but it did help to increase my speed cverall and that wasn't my original intention . Power Solos ( 2nd video) shows you how to play a song that's on his Powers of 10 album called 'Get You Back' , which really helps you see and hear how he thinks as well. The solo is very melodic and uses a lot of jazz phrasing .:shred: He also played piano just as fast , influenced by Art Tatum ( one of the fastest pianists who ever lived ) and Chopin ( a giant ) . I think this greatly influenced his since of melodic invention as well as his speed. It certainly did'nt hurt. LOL

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
Hey, great to see Shawn's gift to the world is still being wondered over!

King of Guitar for all time!

*Anyway* With all that being said, Shawn's technique is based on reciprocal scale patterns... Repeating segments of scales, before ascending or descending and continuing the pattern. He frequently made use of economical fingerings AT THE EXPENSE of their scalar cohesion.... The fingering was more important than maintaining the scale...

The section your talking about is a 4 note per string scalar pattern. Shawn also had some great ideas for using pentatonics, which I've not seen copied, although they weren't difficult to play, obviously not as well as shawn...

Great comment, sonofabias, you put the whole thing right there!!!

sonofabias

Reaction score
Hey, great to see Shawn's gift to the world is still being wondered over!

King of Guitar for all time!

*Anyway* With all that being said, Shawn's technique is based on reciprocal scale patterns... Repeating segments of scales, before ascending or descending and continuing the pattern. He frequently made use of economical fingerings AT THE EXPENSE of their scalar cohesion.... The fingering was more important than maintaining the scale...

The section your talking about is a 4 note per string scalar pattern. Shawn also had some great ideas for using pentatonics, which I've not seen copied, although they weren't difficult to play, obviously not as well as shawn...

Great comment, sonofabias, you put the whole thing right there!!!

:agreed:Cheers Ryan .:cool:

Bakerman

Reaction score
The end is 3 notes/string, triad shapes all w/ 1 2 4 fingering: E14-17-21 A14-17-21 D14-18-21 G14-18-21 b14-17-21 e14-17-21

Latest posts

')