HQ Modern Metal Peavey Rockmaster Preamp Demo

Gmork

Reaction score
Man i DONT want to sell this thing, its pretty incredible! That bogner is making me do lots of crazy things lol

Ps: i over compensated with the bass, im sorry. Its almost 4am and ive been a bit out of it lol. What d'yall think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Badass. These are kinda rare here in the U.K., but I almost bought one I saw on eBay recently. But I’ve got too much stuff as it is.

Gmork

Reaction score
Yeah honestly im not sure i can sell it, its a very cool piece of gear and sounds phenominal! Very verastile too.

The guitar audio in that very hasnt been touched either other than a tiny +2db bump with a low and high shelf to bring back some of the liveliness heard in the room

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Honestly if you get a tiny-ass IR loader like the Mooer Radar or the new Two Notes CAB M, you have a super-portable brutal AF rig.

Gmork

Reaction score
Honestly if you get a tiny-ass IR loader like the Mooer Radar or the new Two Notes CAB M, you have a super-portable brutal AF rig.
Yep for sure though im not a fan of going straight to FOH. Ive never heard a floor monitor do my tone any justice.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Miss mine. It was a different animal than my Ultra 120. The lead channel was angry, 5150 like.

Gmork

Reaction score
Miss mine. It was a different animal than my Ultra 120. The lead channel was angry, 5150 like.
Yeah i agree actually, ive owned a 6505 before and always felt the rockmaster def had a similar pissed raw grind to it with a pretty thumping lowend! Kind of THE peavey signature tone imo

Shask

Reaction score
Nice! I had a few of those back in the day, and kind of miss having one. I liked them better though when you could pick them up for $80, lol. :D Very clear, tight gain.

I just got a Peavey Triple XXX last week, so it gives me some of that flavor, but a bit more modern. It is nice having something in the Ultra family again though.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Nice! I had a few of those back in the day, and kind of miss having one. I liked them better though when you could pick them up for $80, lol. :D Very clear, tight gain.

I just got a Peavey Triple XXX last week, so it gives me some of that flavor, but a bit more modern. It is nice having something in the Ultra family again though.

I saw one on e-bay for $250 plus shipping. Granted, the Rockmaster is pretty old but getting one for $250 or so is still a pretty good deal considering how expensive pedals in general are these days. Hell, the new Revv pedals cost that much & the Peavey is a full tube pre-amp.

Last edited:

Gmork

Reaction score
For those hopping on the thread late go check out my video(s) and do me a huge favor and take a moment to hit like/subscribe and leave a comment. Without out your help my videos will be burried under everyones shitty phone vids never to be found.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't sell it. For what you'll get it's not worth it. I only paid $200 (minty and shipped) for mine and it's easily one of the best pieces of gear I ever purchased. The cleans are pure spanky 10/10 awesomeness. You can also get a nice EVH brown sound, or an XXX lead. And it crushes with my VFE Standout in front.

I have it in a rack with my Soldano SP77 (SLO lead channel) and Hafler Triple Giant (Bogner designed). All I'm waiting on is a minty Triaxis to complete the look.

Definitely do NOT sell.

[edit: I watched and liked the vid - I used to have mine into my FB100 FX return as well before I bought my Fryette PS2! lol]

Gmork

Reaction score
Don't sell it. For what you'll get it's not worth it. I only paid $200 (minty and shipped) for mine and it's easily one of the best pieces of gear I ever purchased. The cleans are pure spanky 10/10 awesomeness. You can also get a nice EVH brown sound, or an XXX lead. And it crushes with my VFE Standout in front.

I have it in a rack with my Soldano SP77 (SLO lead channel) and Hafler Triple Giant (Bogner designed). All I'm waiting on is a minty Triaxis to complete the look.

Definitely do NOT sell.

[edit: I watched and liked the vid - I used to have mine into my FB100 FX return as well before I bought my Fryette PS2! lol]
Thank you VERY much man!! i really appreciate it. Wasnt the triple giant bogners 1st amp?! Sounds like a vicious rack!!!!! This was my 1st time putting the rockmaster into my engl but by golly it sounded deadly! Funny youve done the same. What a particular setup lol

I honestly hate being "that guy" but ya gotta hawk your wares ya know. If i sit back and wait for things to happen, it never will. And honestly i think i bring something thats needed to the table of gear demos.
Having said that, ive got big plans for the future! Keep yer eyes peeled for a revv g4 vid, a modded tightmetalpro, and the big one.. Bogner twin jet!

And for those new to the thread scroll to the 1st original post and check out the video!

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Thank you VERY much man!! i really appreciate it. Wasnt the triple giant bogners 1st amp?! Sounds like a vicious rack!!!!! This was my 1st time putting the rockmaster into my engl but by golly it sounded deadly! Funny youve done the same. What a particular setup lol

I honestly hate being "that guy" but ya gotta hawk your wares ya know. If i sit back and wait for things to happen, it never will. And honestly i think i bring something thats needed to the table of gear demos.
Having said that, ive got big plans for the future! Keep yer eyes peeled for a revv g4 vid, a modded tightmetalpro, and the big one.. Bogner twin jet!

And for those new to the thread scroll to the 1st original post and check out the video!

It's one thing to unload a new pedal or amp that you might not be liking but for something like the Rockmaster, which is becoming more & more of a rarity, it'd be crazy to unload it unless you're absolutely desperate for money. I have an ART SGX2000 that I bought back in '98 and rarely use but I'd rather keep it than sell it for the $75 or so (if I'm lucky) that I'd get for it.

Guaranteed, if you did unload it, at some point you'll think of a way of using it that you hadn't though of before and you'll be super tempted to try & track another one down. Yeah, I'd also say that it's definitely a 'keeper' and should hang onto it unless it's absolutely necessary that you have to sell it.

Gmork

Reaction score
It's one thing to unload a new pedal or amp that you might not be liking but for something like the Rockmaster, which is becoming more & more of a rarity, it'd be crazy to unload it unless you're absolutely desperate for money. I have an ART SGX2000 that I bought back in '98 and rarely use but I'd rather keep it than sell it for the $75 or so (if I'm lucky) that I'd get for it.

Guaranteed, if you did unload it, at some point you'll think of a way of using it that you hadn't though of before and you'll be super tempted to try & track another one down. Yeah, I'd also say that it's definitely a 'keeper' and should hang onto it unless it's absolutely necessary that you have to sell it.
Id like to get maybe the peavey 5050 because im just ape sh** over resonance controls! And as a peavey fanboi id just love them together. What other 2u tube poweramp have a resonance?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Id like to get maybe the peavey 5050 because im just ape sh** over resonance controls! And as a peavey fanboi id just love them together. What other 2u tube poweramp have a resonance?

VHT / Fryette power amps have resonance and presence controls.

I would be skeptical about how much low end an EL84 power amp could pump out, but you never know until you try one, I guess.

I think I’d be more tempted to get one of the old 6L6 Peavey classic 60/60 or 120/120 (a power amp that weighs as much as a car will make you more metal). I think they also did mono 60 and 120 watt versions.

They don’t have depth or presence controls but they can be added to any amp with a negative feedback loop (Peavey classic power amps included). It’s not a complicated mod, two pots, two capacitors, and two holes in the chassis.

You might need to find an amp tech to do it though, if you’re not comfortable working on an amp.

Gmork

Reaction score

I would be skeptical about how much low end an EL84 power amp could pump out, but you never know until you try one, I guess.

I think I’d be more tempted to get one of the old 6L6 Peavey classic 60/60 or 120/120 (a power amp that weighs as much as a car will make you more metal). I think they also did mono 60 and 120 watt versions.

They don’t have depth or presence controls but they can be added to any amp with a negative feedback loop (Peavey classic power amps included). It’s not a complicated mod, two pots, two capacitors, and two holes in the chassis.

You might need to find an amp tech to do it though, if you’re not comfortable working on an amp.
Actually the 120/120 DOES have res controls! I WOULD love one of those. Never seen one for sale.

Shask

Reaction score

Lol, I have always thought about buying an old Classic 60/60 also, and modding it. I think we own just about all the same gear. :)

Shask

Reaction score
I saw one on e-bay for $250 plus shipping. Granted, the Rockmaster is pretty old but getting one for $250 or so is still a pretty good deal considering how expensive pedals in general are these days. Hell, the new Revv pedals cost that much & the Peavey is a full tube pre-amp.
I bought my first Rockmaster for $80, and my second for $120, but it was mint, so it was a little expensive. It is crazy what these go for now. The Mesa Studio Preamps are the same way. Crazy prices compared to what I paid years ago. It is hard to pay $300+, when you look at what the Ultra+, XXX, and JSX are going for.

Because of this thread, and getting a XXX, I have been looking over the designs of all these amps. It is amazing how similar the actual gain stages are between all these amps. It is probably 95% the same on all of them, and most of the differences come from switching changes, footswitch changes, etc... Having the XXX definitely reminds me of what I liked about the Rockmaster all those years ago. It is such a tight, clear sound. It is so easy to get a mid scooped, chuggy low end sound. I used the pull boost back in the day, but now if I had one, I think I would like to try my own boost pedals, or even mod the pull boost to not be so dramatic on the bass cut.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Lol, I have always thought about buying an old Classic 60/60 also, and modding it. I think we own just about all the same gear. :)

Now that I think about it, I guess we do. Just all slightly different versions of the same things.

I guess that means I have to buy a Peavey amp in the Ultra lineage next.