Hufschmid 7 Custom

• Thread starter Felsstein
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, i don´t think i´d trust someone who sets up the action with measurements alone :lol:

some people have preferances when it comes to action though, and are obsessed with getting the action as low as possible. i believe joe satriani has his guitars set up to like 0,5mm or something insane-in-the-head as that.

Ha! I actually fully inspected his guitar when I was a tech at the montreux jazz festival in 2000 and even got to play it for a while...

It buzzes like hell, his action is at 3mm above the 12th fret...... :nuts:

That was his chromeboy

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
that´s weird, i guess he´s a really soft player then :p

reminds me of this bass player, not sure what his name is, who plays a jazz bass or p-bass, and it sounds like a really nice and soft fretless-ish thing. he plays really softly and has super-ultra low action. the funny thing is that when anyone else tries to play it, it just sounds like a buzzy mess :lol:

so yeah, i´m guessing that´s the thing with satriani too. playing with a really light touch

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
How people can play with such low action is completely beyond me. I've always found that it chokes the guitar and robs it of so much tone (in reference to Satch).

Low action without buzzing, however, is a gift. :agreed:

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
How people can play with such low action is completely beyond me. I've always found that it chokes the guitar and robs it of so much tone.

I don't like really low action either. My Jem can go really stupidly low (well, it could, it needs new frets right now)

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
^ I agree, I dont like super low action either, it also contributes to kill the sustain of the instrument in so many ways...

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
How people can play with such low action is completely beyond me. I've always found that it chokes the guitar and robs it of so much tone (in reference to Satch).

More tension completely fixes that. Besides the fact that it allows you to get your action lower since the strings don't vibrate as wide it makes you still achieve the same amount of tension to push down the string even though the distance is much shorter.

That's why a lot of metal players (or at least why I) like lots of tension. That way I can have my strings right up against the frets and I lose no tone and get no buzz. It does make sustaining a note much more difficult though but not impossible.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
More tension completely fixes that. Besides the fact that it allows you to get your action lower since the strings don't vibrate as wide it makes you still achieve the same amount of tension to push down the string even though the distance is much shorter.

That's why a lot of metal players (or at least why I) like lots of tension. That way I can have my strings right up against the frets and I lose no tone and get no buzz. It does make sustaining a note much more difficult though but not impossible.

I used to play .011s in standard tuning, and I could get insanely low action. However, I just could not get on with the tone (as far as metal was concerned). These days, I play with .010s in standard for a healthy balance. :)

^ Satriani was using very light guages......

9-42 or something if I remember correctly

That is quite light. :agreed:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i can´t stand waaay too low action either. i used to like pretty high action, actually, and most people were annoyed by it when they played my guitars, but now i like my action lower. i like being able to play it properly without tons of buzz, but i don´t like having to push that hard to get the string all the way down there :lol:

it seems you´ve got it at a really comofrtable level though, and i guess the flat fretboard just makes it that much more awesome :)

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
:hbang:

That sounds wonderful.

EDIT: This was in response to a YouTube video. It appears quite out of context now.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
The reason I'm building my neck with 0 radius is that it will make the fretting process a hell of a lot easier...

Good luck because its actually much more difficult, when its flat any insignifiant level mistakes pops out instantly.... :yesway:

I wonder where you guys keep hearing these thype of things.... :scratch:

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
That did not reply to my question ;)
I didn't hear about it anywhere... I just used my completely exausted of studying calculus, linear algebra, organic and inorganic chemistry mind to think about it a little bit:
Flat fingerboard plus flat fretwire = no too much problem..

THEN you said that and I wondered.. What if the fingerboard isn't THAT flat... Then I'm fawkd.. Then comes some pretty exaustive looking, checking and sanding adjustments... Omg this is going to be impossible..

But THEN I wondered. My dad built a flawless freaking 4 string bass guitar all by himself when he was freaking 16 (he's 59). I guess it can't be THAT difficult...

Well. Like you said a billion times. If I don't try, I won't know, I have to make mistakes. People learn from mistakes. (but smart people learn from OTHER'S mistakes first. So asking a lil bit doesn't hurt) I spent the equivalent of 25$ on wood to make my neck. Fretwire is 5$. Fingerboard is 15$... I mean, even if I manage to FUBAR the neck, hell I'll just buy everything again and do it until I get it right.. I'm building my damn guitar.

By the way, I just LOVE the color of the bloodwood. If I manage to find some affordable mahogany, that will be my next guitar...

I hope I've answered your question, Mr. Hufschmid
;)

EDIT: Nice editing Mr... hahaha :lol:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
^ Satriani was using very light guages......

9-42 or something if I remember correctly

Its not that light considering the guys always in standard. 10 gauge strings are all you need tension wise in standard to start getting real low with even sloppy technique.

But joe gets flawless guitars and has flawless technique so he can get away with that.

BTW I saw videos that I'm sure are old by now of him experimenting with heavier gauges.

whosdealin

Reaction score
Sorry this may have been mentioned but what brand bridge is that ?

Latest posts

')