Huge, Epic, Atmospheric-sounding bands!

• Thread starter ZackP3750
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Alot of you guys keep referancing heavy bands. I dont think heavy and atmospheric go together that well.

check out some stars of the lid

ZackP3750

Reaction score
Alot of you guys keep referancing heavy bands. I dont think heavy and atmospheric go together that well.

check out some stars of the lid

I noticed that as well. I really like some of the heavier recommendations, and was kinda looking more in the vein of AAL, ISIS, Moving Mountains, Junius, even though I know all of those bands are wildly different.

If I had to pick a part of song that would most reflect what I'm looking for, I'd have to say the clean tapping riff in Buttersnips around 2:15. I really like that spacey, melodic, dreamy-kinda sound. But keep the bands coming, I've found a shitload of great bands cause of this thread and I'd love to hear more!

Repner

Reaction score
Moonsorrow. The earlier stuff was more focused on folk metal melodies. From the 4th album onwards, they started to focus on making their music more atmospheric, layered and epic. The last two albums felt like a journey through a bleak world. Not to mention most of their later work is very rarely any shorter than 14 minutes. They only played three songs when I saw them last year

MartinMTL

Reaction score
I very much know the feeling you are talking about. Skiing is my second passion, along with guitar. I never have been able to enjoy metal while in the mountains however. Boards of Canada is great for sure, especially stuff from their album "The Campfire Headphase". I enjoy listening to lots of glitch hop as well. The Glitch Mob and Opiuo are good ones for skiing/snowboarding, though those are more pump up songs. I have a massive skiing playlist, but its so varied I won't try to list stuff.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score

Mithras, 1000 freaking times Mithras.

In the interest of cutting down on youtube spam I'll give good songs to look up:

Decrepit Birth: Gathering of Imaginations, Dimensions Intertwine and Solar Impulse.
Mithras: Bequeath Thy Visions, Search the Endless Planes, To Where the Sun Never Leaves
Boards of Canada: Skyliner (HNNNNG)
Fallujah: The Flame Surreal, Become One
Augury: Skyless
Ulcerate: The Earth At It's Knees, the last three tracks of Everything Is Fire are fucking awesome, really.

Jarabowa

Reaction score
If you're digging some Intronaut, how about some old Pelican?

"Autumn Into Summer"

"Aurora Borealis"

Kirk

Reaction score
Here's two good tracks for what you're looking for.

One is my band, shameless promotion, but it does suit your needs.

Other of course is The Contortionist.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
Listen to This Will Destroy You's newest album, it's less post-rock and more drone. Also listen to The Angelic Process, really good drone stuff. Coil is really cool ambient electronic stuff if you're into that, and check out Neurosis and Mouth of the Architect for that ISIS-esque atmospheric sludgy sound.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
One i recently discovered:
Entities:

Absent Distance for sure:

Plugging some of my own stuff if you're into it.

definitely fallujah as mentioned before

Latest posts

')