Huge Issue with a Mesa 212...4 loudspeakers broken what next?

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Hi guys I don't know what to do anymore.
I have a Mesa cab 212 and 4 loudspeakers have blew up in this cab.
First, 8 month ago a Celestion V30 blew up. I replaced it with a Celestion Century Vintage. 2 months after it was the other V30 turn...It blew up.
So I bought a Chinese V30.
Last week I was playing with my band and the sound started to stop and start.
When I touched the volume knob (Channel 1 or 2 whatever) the sound came back sometimes but then...nothing. Nada. Zero sound.
I went to my tech and he didn't know what to say.
The loudspeakers are broken.....again !
So I broke 4 Celestions in this damned cab.
It's not my electric system, it's not crappy cables, it's not noobie forbidden operations.
We've been thinking that it can't be the amp head (Laney VH100 running half power) even if sometimes I push it loud.
But maybe it's this stereo operation that you can do to run you mesa in stereo with 2 cables. Maybe there was a dust which blocked the sound on one HP. And it didn't like it until failure. I bought it like that and it was my tech's operation so a safe one. I've never run this cab in stereo. It was there on the second imput but I've never used it.
But this ! Two loudspeakers in one shot.
I don't understand and I ask everywhere if someone has met a similar issue with a cab which blew up louspeakers one after the other and sometimes 2 by 2 !
I don't have the choice I have to buy again 2 V30s but damned I'm afraid the saga will continue. Should I try EV 200W ? V30 are my favorites...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

myampslouder

Reaction score
What impedance are you running on your amp and it sounds to me like it is an amp problem. I run a 412 with 50 watt eminence speakers with no trouble using a 400 watt solid state amp. You are either mismatching the empedances or your amp has something wrong. Probably an output tranny issue.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Thx for the answer but the impedance is ok....the cab is 8 Ohm (2 V30 16Ohm) and I put in the 4 Ohm imput of the Laney ( 2 power tubes out= 8 Ohms/2= 4Ohms)
I had blew up the first two V30 with full power (100W) 8Ohm to 8Ohm...normal way
The Laney's circuit is ok to put off two tubes and the transformer is solid enough.
It's a damned mystery.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
You need current to kill speakers and shorts create current - plenty of it. There's probably a bad join or short in the wiring, presumably on the input plate of the cab, that's ramming a load of current into your amp. The times they've gone are probably the times you've been using the amp long enough for that surplus current to burn them hot enough that they fail.

You could also potentially be getting some kind of DC leakage current from your amp. In theory a transformer is only AC coupling though, so it would have to be a grounding issue meaning you would likely have been electrocuted now if that were the case. Something's not right.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Thx man too...I left this question all around the net work. I'll make my report when I'll have enough answers and match all hypotheses.
Translate the report in French and go back to my tech with 2 new speakers. Cross my fingers because if it happens again I'll probably cry like a little girl.