HUGE problem: EMGs PU stopped working

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
Alright serious issue here:

I tried the 18V mod using 3 battery clips where I dont do any direct modding to the guitar, but basically add a removable extention like in this pic:

EMG18VoltMod3.jpg

I wired everything exactly like in the pic, I even triple checked before snapping the batteries in. Then I got everything set up and tried it. It didnt do anything, it just played the EMGs passively without the preamp. So i snapped off the mod and put in the 9V as normal, but the pickups remained passive and crappy sounding.

I thought maybe it was the jack, so I screwed it out, but there is nothing wrong with the wires.

Is there something wrong with the preamp inside the EMGs? I even tried touching the battery to the clip in reverse, and that just mutes the pickups, so I'm sure the battery clip is working, but the preamp is dead.

I really need help, I dont want to spend $100 for a guitar tech to fix it... heck, it'd be worst if I have to replace them.

Also, I think it would be important to note one of my experiences with my EMGs. My friend also has EMGs and hooked it up straight to his laptop which has a program that allows selection of effects and distortions. We did the same with my Schecter with EMGs 707, but all we get is a nasty low output sound.

I'd appreciate it if you guys help me out. If you can't, please pull in some people you know that may understand the problem. I finished writing a song yesterday and now I can't practice it without my 7 string...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like something has pulled loose in the wiring. EMGs shouldn't work at all without power.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like something has pulled loose in the wiring. EMGs shouldn't work at all without power.

:agreed:

Did you check the quick connect cables coming off the back of the pickups?

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score

no, they can work without the 9v, it would just have crappy headroom. I can play while there's no battery in it, and its still sounding like that when I have the battery snapped in. I just unstrung my guitar and unscrewed the pickups to look at the wire clip. Everything was fine, I specifically looked at the 9V+ wire to see maybe if loosened from the pickup but there's no problem there. I returned the pickups to their cavities and restrung my guitar, tried the battery again, and nothing. It's still passive. I have a feeling the preamps blew or something. Dang, i know swapping EMGs is really easy, but I dont have the money for it.

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
:agreed:

Did you check the quick connect cables coming off the back of the pickups?

whoops haha, didnt see your comment when I posted the previous one.
Yah, i just checked them, they work fine. Since the pickups are still working, I'm pretty sure the quick connect cables should be fine anyways. I wouldnt say the effort was for nothing, at least Im eliminating possibilities.

I used the my "ghetto indicator" with an LED and battery to check for broken wire. The battery snap wire is fine all the way to the point they are soldered to...

What I dont understand is why both pickups are being passive, each should have their own preamp. I'm getting the feeling i blew out a potentiometer. Is that possible?

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
:shrug: Anytime I've pulled the battery from a set of EMGs the guitar went dead, if I pull the batery off my Blackouts it does to. Zero output.

I take it you've checked all the electronics(pots, switch, etc) to make sure nothing disconnected?

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
:shrug: Anytime I've pulled the battery from a set of EMGs the guitar went dead, if I pull the batery off my Blackouts it does to. Zero output.

I take it you've checked all the electronics(pots, switch, etc) to make sure nothing disconnected?

done that, nothing is loose or disconnected. I made sure the audio jack is working right, too. The negative lead is definitely connected to the ground when the jack is in.

If you are correct, then I dont have to buy new pickups. It might be a blown volume pot, but it still functions like one. I'm still worried about all this.

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
okay guys.... I decided to bypass the pots by holding the audio jack (from the cable) so that the tip touches the pickup hot wire while I hold another wire connecting the ground from the audio cable to a ground source. It still sounds farty. I'm guessing its not the pots, I probably really blew the preamps...

DUY1337GUITAR

Reaction score
I just hooked up the negative side of the battery to the snap, leaving the positive side out. Then I placed an LED between the unconnected leads and get no light... Obviously the 9V is not going through its circuit as it should. It's probably not returning from the other end of the preamp inside the pickups.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know how you could blow the preamps in a set of EMGs.

Either way, this is too much to troubleshoot over the internet, I would find a local tech.

')