Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit 200 - Bionic 200W cute little monster

• Thread starter Constructivist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I dunno. SS amp with magic gimmick is now priced higher than very many proper tube amps.... I don’t get it. I know it has lots of features, but to my ear it sounds stiff on h&k vids. Time will tell if it’s good.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dunno. SS amp with magic gimmick is now priced higher than very many proper tube amps.... I don’t get it. I know it has lots of features, but to my ear it sounds stiff on h&k vids. Time will tell if it’s good.

Over here, in the US, it's priced pretty competitively, which is surprising.

It's coming up as ~$800 from Sweetwater. The only tube amps in that range are either sub-30 watt mini heads and some stripped down, so-so 50 watt heads. It's the same price as the Yamaha THR100 2-channel and cheaper than ho-hum Positive Grid stuff.

As long as it's not awful or difficult to dial in, I can see this being competitive. But we'll see.

TGN

Reaction score
Looks interesting. If it sounds decent it should be a very flexible and practical tool.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
some cool ideas all smashed together into one package. The amplifighter video was funny. I'd have no use for but it looks like another great option for people looking for feature laden amps.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Yeah this is interesting, seems like H&K trying to do a more upmarket Boss katana?

Sounds from the vids are pretty cool, would consider getting one as a commutable amp where I wouldn't need a big board as well. Will keep my eyes open for these

lewis

Reaction score
Nothing sounds and feels like a tube amp except a tube amp.
Kempers and axe fxs get the closest and are killer units for all in one soloutions especially as live the crowd wont tell whats tube or not.

In a finished mix it doesnt matter now either
But to get a SS amp like this and pay more than a real tube amp (which will sound better) and a similar amount to a kemper/axe fx doesnt make sense either imo.

Like, who is their market?.

Confused tube amp owners who dont own one of the big 3 existing modelling products?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing sounds and feels like a tube amp except a tube amp.
Kempers and axe fxs get the closest and are killer units for all in one soloutions especially as live the crowd wont tell whats tube or not.

In a finished mix it doesnt matter now either
But to get a SS amp like this and pay more than a real tube amp (which will sound better) and a similar amount to a kemper/axe fx doesnt make sense either imo.

Like, who is their market?.

Confused tube amp owners who dont own one of the big 3 existing modelling products?

Are there any good tube amps under $800 new?

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Being able to turn off the built-in cab sim is an amazing and underrated feature. Quite a few current amps would be that much better off with that feature (looking at you 6505MH).

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Are there any good tube amps under $800 new?

Well, yes, unless if you define "good" by "lots of watts". I'd easily rate my tubemeister 18 as "good". That's the only point of comparison I have since it's the only amp I have left.

')