Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit 200 - Bionic 200W cute little monster

• Thread starter Constructivist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Well, yes, unless if you define "good" by "lots of watts". I'd easily rate my tubemeister 18 as "good". That's the only point of comparison I have since it's the only amp I have left.

Randall RD45H Diavlo 45 Watt
Fortin Designed
£547 1 left in stock

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/amp-head...Iuk7dzS7fpXVWqdFACsMdxvjmJxSHFOhoCGwgQAvD_BwE

Edit: Thomann have them at £543

randal diavlo 100 is 600$ bstock on reverb. also eod88 is like 800$ new

So some lunchboxes and ho-hum Randalls. :shrug:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes because this small SS amp from these guys isnt Ho Hum itself? Haha.

Hilarious thinking a tube amp designed by Mike fortin is run of the mill hahah

So you've played it? Also, how is 200 solid state watts "small"? I mean, everyone seems to be loving thier small <150 watt pedal power amps these days. :lol:

Also, which of these Randalls have you played? The Diavlo line is nothing special, even the bigger heads. They sit at retailers and gather dust, just ask Randall. The EOD is kind of cool, but a one truck pony on its own.

I stand by my original comment: if this is good it's going to be a competitive product at it's price, and my second one: it's not like there is a bevy of good all tube heads at this price point.

lewis

Reaction score
So you've played it? Also, how is 200 solid state watts "small"? I mean, everyone seems to be loving thier small <150 watt pedal power amps these days. :lol:

Also, which of these Randalls have you played? The Diavlo line is nothing special, even the bigger heads. They sit at retailers and gather dust, just ask Randall. The EOD is kind of cool, but a one truck pony on its own.

I stand by my original comment: if this is good it's going to be a competitive product at it's price, and my second one: it's not like there is a bevy of good all tube heads at this price point.

Meant small in physical size, not power.

I will stick to my Ax8, Kemper and Randall T2 amp rather than this personally.

lewis

Reaction score
I'd think the small form factor is a bonus.

Yeah, I'm not ditching my Axe or Kemper either, but the more cool non-tube stuff on the market the better.
Yeah it wasnt a slight on it. I didnt mean for "small" to come across derogatory. More just describing it. I.e

The entire thing, size aside, just seems middle of the road for me.

Like it seems like an idea that is 10 years behind now or something.
Unless im a H&K fan, i just wouldnt be interested in this considering the alternatives that are just a little more cash.

Anyway. Lets agree to disagree.
+1 on owning both an Axe and a Kemper too. Well played.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Stoked to see a big company making a solid state amp that isn’t just an after thought or bedroom practice amp.

The orange crush amps seemed like more of an after thought once i actually played one.

I think would still take an AMT SH-100r or a used ISP Theta Head over this though

Last edited:

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
I don't think this is going to compete with the "big 3" in any way. Everyone shouting this down over its price failed to take into account the gazzilion features this thing has. It's an all-in-one portable solution for a gigging musician (one that might be playing different gigs/setlists every week). I'd say it is comparable to the Katana head, with more useful stuff added on top.

lewis

Reaction score
I don't think this is going to compete with the "big 3" in any way. Everyone shouting this down over its price failed to take into account the gazzilion features this thing has. It's an all-in-one portable solution for a gigging musician (one that might be playing different gigs/setlists every week). I'd say it is comparable to the Katana head, with more useful stuff added on top.

So this compact all in one, SS, gigging solution from H&K wont be trying to compete with the big 3 all in one, SS, compact, gigging solutions?

It really is a confused product then.
Hahaha

Bearitone

Reaction score
So this compact all in one, SS, gigging solution from H&K wont be trying to compete with the big 3 all in one, SS, compact, gigging solutions?

It really is a confused product then.
Hahaha

Um no because this isn’t a modeler or profiler. It’s an SS Head with digital effects built in.

')