Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit 200 - Bionic 200W cute little monster

• Thread starter Constructivist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
With the Helix you'll still need a power amp and cab if you want something similar to this. With any other lunchbox head youll still need the multi FX and most likely some kinda MIDI relay device if you want the programability. This is meant to be an all-in-one thing just like the Grandmeister.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Seems to be designed to be a convenient head for gigging.

Unfortunately I think it might be a bit to pricey to beat out the usual stigma against solid state gear.

Sogradde

Reaction score
With the Helix you'll still need a power amp and cab if you want something similar to this. With any other lunchbox head youll still need the multi FX and most likely some kinda MIDI relay device if you want the programability. This is meant to be an all-in-one thing just like the Grandmeister.
The H&K head needs a cab aswell so that's not a good point for it.
Also, as far as I can tell, the H&K is priced at 800€, the optional(!) MIDI controller ist priced at 166€. That's almost 1000€, which gets me almost any common lunchbox head with a POD HD 500X. That setup will easily blow the H&K out of the water.

I'm not trying to shit on H&K, I just fail to see the market.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Also, as far as I can tell, the H&K is priced at 800€, the optional(!) MIDI controller ist priced at 166€. That's almost 1000€, which gets me almost any common lunchbox head with a POD HD 500X. That setup will easily blow the H&K out of the water.

Not quite a fair comparison. It is a lunchbox sized head but it's 200W.

Also AFAIK nobody has compared it to a tubed head with a pod HD so.... It might sound massively better.

Selling point seems to mostly be that it is a one-piece head that's easy to carry around and has plenty of output power. Good for gigging.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

You still need the power amp with the Helix. And you don't need the included footswitch. If we're including used prices, yo can get any other MIDI footswitch to work for it 2nd hand.

Also, we're still saying anything else will blow it out the water...

Have you guys even tried it yet? :lol:

It's just weird seeing so much against this amp that no one's tried except for a few youtube """""""influencers"""""""""".

Speaking of that, 200w solid state ain't nothing to sneeze at. That's loud as fuck and can easily be gigged with. And Hughes and Kettner makes great SS amps. Just because it's solid state doesn't mean it's gonna sound like that shitty Fender Frontman, Marshall MG, or Gorilla 10-watt amp you used when you started off.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
It's worth noting that yes you still need a cab, but if you're on a budget that V30 2x12 HB cab is only $100-$200US. Helix LT still needs a cab AND a power amp or a PA system to go through.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Is H&K generally not well regarded around here? I’m surprised at all the skepticism and negativity for an amp that hasn’t even been heard by most people. To me, the selling points here are that it weighs essentially nothing, it can go FRFR standard cab, it can be used to practice, record, or gig at a stadium, is basically a powersoaked amp, with the “sag” control, and is from a well respected company. I would think this site would eat it up. We get all excited about $300 solid state preamp pedals put into a 100 watt power amp with no tube distortion, but bring up an amp like this, and suddenly everyone is into real tube tone. It’s just weird. Maybe people are getting this mixed up with modelers? I mean, I fail to see how people can’t see who this appeals to. I can’t see who it DOESN’T appeal to.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Is H&K generally not well regarded around here? I’m surprised at all the skepticism and negativity for an amp that hasn’t even been heard by most people. To me, the selling points here are that it weighs essentially nothing, it can go FRFR standard cab, it can be used to practice, record, or gig at a stadium, is basically a powersoaked amp, with the “sag” control, and is from a well respected company. I would think this site would eat it up. We get all excited about $300 solid state preamp pedals put into a 100 watt power amp with no tube distortion, but bring up an amp like this, and suddenly everyone is into real tube tone. It’s just weird. Maybe people are getting this mixed up with modelers? I mean, I fail to see how people can’t see who this appeals to. I can’t see who it DOESN’T appeal to.

THANK YOU!!!! somebody gets it!

For me I'd rather get the tube version (Grandmeister Deluxe) but this thing still is very impressive. I don't need an amp at all but either of these looks sweet, and honestly a solid state one might be better when I think about it, would be nice to have an amp that I don't need to worry about tube maitenance and such on. not sure why its compared to a modelling amp??? Maybe because you can save presets or something.

Either way H and K make some pretty kick ass amps, maybe because they don't have a channel that emulates a 5150 or an extreme mid boost people aren't take these seriously but it looks like a good product from a company that puts out quality shit, if it wouldn't cost me like 5k I would grab a Tri Amp in a heartbeat.

eightsixboy

あなたのお母さんを犯さ
Reaction score
Why dont people understand what i mean?.

A solid state, all in one amp is the same regardless what form it takes.

A powered kemper is still essentially a SS all in one amp lol.

Lol wat?

Kemper is digital, so are Helix and axe FX. Not sure what you mean by all the same?

BOOOOOOOM

finally someone else gets my gripes.
Excatly man. Well said.

What's the point comparing it to a Helix when its completely different technology?

You could apply that logic to anything. Gee why do people spend 3k on Kempers when you can buy a real amp. Or why do people buy Helix's when you can buy a lunch box tube amp.

There is a market for everything. In the case of this new H&K its the fact its an all analog solid state, updated red box, midi controlled, light weight and also presumably decent quality.

I'm not even a H&K fan but at the price its at its very appealing. What else is there for similar money that's also powered, so excluding pedal boards. DSL range, lower end Fenders, the new Marshall Origin, cheaply made amps like the Randall you mentioned. So what if its "fortin designed", I had a Diablo 20 and yea it was an ok amp but it did one thing well, high gain and that's it. Your comparing apples to oranges. One trick cheap ponies vs new technology.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is H&K generally not well regarded around here?

I don't think they're on a lot of folks' radar here. Thier US distribution isn't great, but better than its been in years prior.

More folks on here probably know them for thier smaller lunchbox amps than thier flagship Triamp, which can get very brutal, but it ain't cheap.

They haven't done a stripped down (read: cheaper) high gain amp over 50 watts in some time, so I can see how folks around here, the typical 5150/Recto/Marshall crowd, wouldn't have much experience with them.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sounds great in the official demo! Best SS I think I've heard so far. Oddly the high gain was flakey and reminded me of my AMT SS amp, but the clean/crunch/lead were great. Then all the plug-ins are doing great high-gain and flakey on the rest of it -- buy both and you're all set.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Anyone seen any metal demonstrations in any of the available clips yet? I’m only seeing hard rock or blues in what I’ve watched. And I’m too lazy to watch ‘em all. :lol:

Sogradde

Reaction score
As I said, I don't wish them any ill, I just don't see the point of it. I already listed some more or less better alternatives in that price range.

Sogradde

Reaction score
Two people quoted me since my last post and one person commented on a post that was directed at me.
Also nice reading comprehension bro!

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it :) I'm actually considering saving some money and then buy one :)

I've been longing for a Hughes & Kettner amp ever since I borrowed a sweet little combo for a gig back in my high school days. The Tubemeister and Grandmeister look sweet, but I can't justify a full-on valve amp for my current use, which is mostly bedroom playing and occasional recording (this is why I settled for a used Marshall MG100HDFX when I bought an amp last year).
The Black Spirit seems perfect for my needs :)

Also, I do get horrible "option paralysis" from my Line6 Pod HD Pro. I want something more simple with real knobs for dialing in my tone. I've grown so tired of digital interfaces.
In the demo video with Rabea and Josh they quickly dial in the basic tones I long for - sparkly clean, heavy crunch and thick gain. The built-in effects offer all I need too.

I haven't put my current rig up for sale YET, but I'm seriously considering it :)

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Is H&K generally not well regarded around here? I’m surprised at all the skepticism and negativity for an amp that hasn’t even been heard by most people.

I guess it has a lot to do with the pricing. It is still a solid stats 800$ amp head, that's 200ish more expensive than a boss katana... WITH a cabinet.
I checked Thomann and nothing reaches this price point for a SS amp head.

That said, H&K isn't a "cheap" brand to begin with. The Triamp is around 2K5 here in europe.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I guess it has a lot to do with the pricing. It is still a solid stats 800$ amp head, that's 200ish more expensive than a boss katana... WITH a cabinet.
I checked Thomann and nothing reaches this price point for a SS amp head.

That said, H&K isn't a "cheap" brand to begin with. The Triamp is around 2K5 here in europe.

Good solid state usually is expensive. The higher end SS Randall stuff, the ISP theta line, and AMT's Stonehead line ran aroind the same price, or was more expensive. And then you add the onboard DI, actually tweakable effects, and the MIDI programability.

I just find it funny that you have people here that keep touting digital stuff like it's the end all be all, yet are still shitting on a solid state head. :lol: I love my Helix LT, but I still love my solid state amps as well. Both can sound excellent if you can design them right, and H&K is usually great with AS tech.

Latest posts

')