Hughes & Kettner Black Spirit 200 - Bionic 200W cute little monster

• Thread starter Constructivist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I play music

Reaction score
Is H&K generally not well regarded around here? I’m surprised at all the skepticism and negativity for an amp that hasn’t even been heard by most people. To me, the selling points here are that it weighs essentially nothing, it can go FRFR standard cab, it can be used to practice, record, or gig at a stadium, is basically a powersoaked amp, with the “sag” control, and is from a well respected company. I would think this site would eat it up. We get all excited about $300 solid state preamp pedals put into a 100 watt power amp with no tube distortion, but bring up an amp like this, and suddenly everyone is into real tube tone. It’s just weird. Maybe people are getting this mixed up with modelers? I mean, I fail to see how people can’t see who this appeals to. I can’t see who it DOESN’T appeal to.
The product would probably appeal to me but the marketing does not. :2c:

Bearitone

Reaction score
The product would probably appeal to me but the marketing does not. :2c:

Agreed. The product seems cool but, the marketing is pretty corny. I think Orange is the only amp brand I’ve seen that does “fun” advertising without being corny.

I also don’t like watching demos where it’s two youtubers saying how great a product is while they’re being paid to say how great it is. Is it bad that i don’t want to hear their opinion during a demo? I just want specs, info, and great clips.

Last edited:

lewis

Reaction score
To add, i have nothing against H&K.

If anything its the opposite.
Best guitar tone ive ever head live from my local venue, was a dude using a H&K going direct with the Redbox thing.
Had an 7 string ibanez and was playing like Symphony x style.

Tone was unreal.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
The true test of these kind of amps is if they can at least get that same sort of loudness like a tube amp and cut through the live mix. I know 200 watts is 200 watts solid state or vs tube but there's some difference with the frequencies, sag, and headroom. I wonder how clean is the headroom if a guy is driving more than one 4x12 like that marketing pic they have in their website.

0rimus

Reaction score
I've always been a huge solid state fan

I got excited about the Yamaha THR100hd (the metal tones just weren't there) and that was about $800

The Vox MVX150H with nutube tech is about $800 but the feature set is a bit limited compared against the Black Spirit 200

But here's the best part: you go to get on plane. Your stupid gigantic 7 string guitar in a nice case takes your 1 checked bagggage spot.

You'll figure out a cabinet situation when you get there ( or go direct, or use headphones)

So what do you do for an amp and effects?

Remove 1 pair of pants and 2 t-shirts from your carry on
Or 2 pairs of pants
Or 3 rolled up t-shirts

Slam the Black Spirit in dere, boom.
Go anywhere. But seriously, 8 pounds and the damn thing looks as small as my Katana Air

I still own and love my Crate Powerblock so... lol, right up my alley

eightsixboy

あなたのお母さんを犯さ
Reaction score
Agreed. The product seems cool but, the marketing is pretty corny. I think Orange is the only amp brand I’ve seen that does “fun” advertising without being corny.

I also don’t like watching demos where it’s two youtubers saying how great a product is while they’re being paid to say how great it is. Is it bad that i don’t want to hear their opinion during a demo? I just want specs, info, and great clips.

Unfortunately that's just YouTube now. Like how all the youtubers got the product at the same time as well.

When/if Henning does a proper review on his channel that will be more realistic I think.

I wonder if this thing is actually just a Nutube tyoe of thing? Funny how its very "secret" and hush hush.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
This thread sums up what I love about this forum. :lol:

I personally love H and K amps and have zero issues with solid state amps. As said before, if Fryette was solid state I would still own one... but no one else has that tone.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The other thing I like about SS heads, much like tubes, is there’s no silicon and software to worry about. I say that because if a tube head breaks 3 years from now, you can have it repaired. But no one is going to be able to repair an Axe FX 30 years from now, unless they can find some used chips to plop back in. I know that doesn’t make a difference to someone currently in a band, etc. But for me, I am no longer gigging, so I just want to make sure I don’t buy something that will be obsolete in the not too distant future.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There is some modern metal / djenty stuff in the second half of this video.

This amp actually sounds pretty tasty. I kind of want one of these things.

Well, that was weird. I’ve been on the fence about buying the Victory Kraken for, like, a year, and I go to watch this video, and there’s Rabea again. :lol:

Comparing those two (the VK and the H&K) I definitely prefer the Kraken. But, when they scrolled through the 8 cab settings on this video, I kind of had an unsettling feeling. Those cab types made a bigger impact on tone than any other setting, except the channel. Which means I really gotta think more seriously about the cabs I’m using, rather than just the amps.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
^ I’m American. If I started talking really loudly and slowly, do you think he’ll speak back to me in English? :lol:

That video does sound pretty good. I think I’d need to hear this in person to really judge, but it sure is a cool little amp!

Musiscience

Reaction score
I love H&K since i owned a Triamp for many years. They usually make some great gear.

After hearing the demos, I really want to try it once they hit the stores. This has all I am looking for: solid state so no tubes to replace, 200W with the possibility to soak the power to gig or play at home. A lot of effects, a noise gate, a boost for each channel, redbox, sag selector and MIDI function makes this something I am very likely to buy as a main rig. Not to mention how good and responsive it sounds on these videos.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The other thing I like about SS heads, much like tubes, is there’s no silicon and software to worry about. I say that because if a tube head breaks 3 years from now, you can have it repaired. But no one is going to be able to repair an Axe FX 30 years from now, unless they can find some used chips to plop back in. I know that doesn’t make a difference to someone currently in a band, etc. But for me, I am no longer gigging, so I just want to make sure I don’t buy something that will be obsolete in the not too distant future.

To be honest, "silicon failure" is more about moving parts than chips themselves. The axe II doesn't seem to have condensers, so the only real part prone to failure over time is the fan, or, possibly, the screen. My C64 still boots fine and it's *old*. Computers do last a very long time provided you don't submit them to excessive heat or moisture.

')