Hughes & Kettner blu amp dropping out

zamboknee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My Hughes & Kettner blu edition 60-r amp's volume is dropping in and out. It'll just drop and then come back.
I tried wiggling the cords, swapping them in and out but still does it.

I opened it up, sprayed some electronics cleaner in the pots, checked the solder and put it all back together.
The problem continues though.
I plugged in headphones and the problem is there too.
Doesn't matter which guitar is plugged into it.
Is this a fix for a capable DIYer such as myself?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarledge

Reaction score
it could be maybe heat related ? Does it happen after the amp has been on a while ? Have you tried plugging it in to a different outlet ? Have you checked the voltage at the wall socket ?

amps can start to act strange once they heat up. The heat can mess with capacitors and cause them to drift in value and/or allow AC current in to the circuit and that can cause some issues.

zamboknee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
it could be maybe heat related ? Does it happen after the amp has been on a while ? Have you tried plugging it in to a different outlet ? Have you checked the voltage at the wall socket ?

amps can start to act strange once they heat up. The heat can mess with capacitors and cause them to drift in value and/or allow AC current in to the circuit and that can cause some issues.
It happens soon after turning on. I've plugged it into multiple outlets and same thing happens.

zamboknee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think I've figured out how to re-create the problem.
If I play softly, pretty soon it'll drop out and get a little 'crackly.' But as soon as I WAIL on the strings, the amp comes back to life.
Thoughts?

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think I've figured out how to re-create the problem.
If I play softly, pretty soon it'll drop out and get a little 'crackly.' But as soon as I WAIL on the strings, the amp comes back to life.
Thoughts?

Are you sure it's not the guitar? Try a different guitar if you haven't already.

Maybe the amp's input jack is bad/dirty?

Edit: never mind the guitar question. Re-read the OP. LOL.