Hughes & Kettner Triamp: Holy Shit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Call Cliff and loan him the amps :lol:

Is it really that easy? If so, I'd be happy too! He's only about an hour away from me, in fact I'm seeing him today to get my Axe-FX Ultra updated from 7.18 to 10.1.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Is it really that easy? If so, I'd be happy too! He's only about an hour away from me, in fact I'm seeing him today to get my Axe-FX Ultra updated from 7.18 to 10.1.

Dude. If he'll take your UL, then tell him I'll happily ship my ENGL SE to him to model as well. I emailed them about it a few months ago, but go no response.

Also, how do the H&K cleans compare to Rivera? I had an oppurtunity to try a switchblade and triamp a few years ago, but couldn't stop trying to get good tones out of the Invader 150 in the store that day.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dude. If he'll take your UL, then tell him I'll happily ship my ENGL SE to him to model as well. I emailed them about it a few months ago, but go no response.

Also, how do the H&K cleans compare to Rivera? I had an oppurtunity to try a switchblade and triamp a few years ago, but couldn't stop trying to get good tones out of the Invader 150 in the store that day.

I actually visited Fractal Audio today and talked with Cliff for a while. This subject was discussed. Look out for a thread about this a bit later and/or a mention of it on the AP facebook.

Rivera has really great clean tones, but IMO the Triamp MKII's cleans are in a league of it's own. The cleans on the DuoTone and Coreblade are amazing too. That said I haven't tried some of the more vintage sounding Rivera amps like the Venus which I'm sure are amazing. The cleans on the Knucklehead and Fandango stuff are tremendous but again, something about the H&K cleans just go that extra mile.

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
I actually visited Fractal Audio today and talked with Cliff for a while. This subject was discussed. Look out for a thread about this a bit later and/or a mention of it on the AP facebook.

Rivera has really great clean tones, but IMO the Triamp MKII's cleans are in a league of it's own. The cleans on the DuoTone and Coreblade are amazing too. That said I haven't tried some of the more vintage sounding Rivera amps like the Venus which I'm sure are amazing. The cleans on the Knucklehead and Fandango stuff are tremendous but again, something about the H&K cleans just go that extra mile.

30 minutes and still no thread? :squint:

I have other things I would like to do, you know.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
It's awesome how you can just approach Cliff about modeling an amp, somebody send him a fortin please. :D

Reaction score

This x about a million. I would loooove to have some of the higher end ENGLS like the SE, Invader and Savage modeled on this bad boy. This would then insure I would never ever ever let my Axe Fx leave my cold dead fingers.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
That MK1 in italy for 1K€ is still taunting me...can't really justify getting a 100W head at the moment though.

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
I think that this is a good amp, but for the money, there are lots better amps out there. I view this amp as a jack of all trades and a master of none. I was left with a rather meh experience. The cleans are great though. :yesway:

IMO, of course.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
sooooooooo whts the verdict on the pre amp slots on this amp??
Outta 9 slots which ones do what>>>.

There are 9 preamp tubes because the amp has 3 preamps. Apart from the input stage tube and the phase inverter tube, the rest correspond to different gain stages and voicings throughout the 3 preamps. The first batch of tubes are for channel 1A/1B, the next 2A/B, etc.

I think that this is a good amp, but for the money, there are lots better amps out there. I view this amp as a jack of all trades and a master of none. I was left with a rather meh experience. The cleans are great though. :yesway:

IMO, of course.

That's cool but I definitely disagree. I think channel 1A, 1B, 3A, and 3B all sound amazing. Channel 2A/2B is a bit too classic rock for me. I think the price is pretty fair for a super high quality German tube head with 6 preamp voicings, included MIDI controller, built-in DI box, etc.

The issue for me with stock Triamps is they come with these hideous "TAD" tubes which sound grainy and lifeless. After a swap with good tubes and a bias, the amp completely comes to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')